Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 2016 Honda Odyssey EX-L with 22,000 miles. This is my third Odyssey but my first that requires full synthetic oil. I went by the maintenance minder on the last 2 Odyssey's and would run them down to almost 0% before I would have the oil changed. Both had well over 250,000 miles on them when I sold them and I never had any engine problems. On my 2016 however, I am getting mixed advice. My normal mechanic said I can continue to follow the maintenance minder but when I took it to the Honda dealership for my first (free) oil change I had logged just over 9000 miles and still had 10% on the maintenance minder and the tech at Honda said that if I want it to last as long as my last 2 did, I should change the oil every 5,000-6,000 miles regardless of what the maintenance minder is at. I plan on driving this one until the tires fall off so I want to keep the engine healthy for the long haul. Should I follow my mechanic's advice or follow the Honda tech? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2015 Odyssey EX
2,002 Posts
I'm impressed that you got 9,000 miles on an OCI from the Maintenance Minder. On my 2015, I change the oil roughly every 6,200 miles (10,000 km) but the MM is showing 15% by then, which prorates out to about 7,200 miles total lifespan if I were to wring it out to the very last.

The general rule of thumb is to follow the Maintenance Minder unless it is going to stretch the oil change interval out past a year. You should change the oil once a year regardless of mileage. I acknowledge that I do not exactly do this (at 15% on the MM Honda basically says to start planning for an oil change but it isn't super urgent), but that is more out my personal bias against trusting computers for everything rather than any concrete evidence that my way is smarter. I also don't like warning lights staring my wife in the face as she drives - I'd rather just change the oil, reset the MM and keep the van, her and myself comfortable.

The Honda tech's advice of changing the oil every 5000 miles regardless of what the MM says is fine for the van and fantastic for him, but you're emptying your wallet for objectively not very much benefit.

The more important thing for these vans is to keep the transmission fluid refreshed regularly, but if this is your third Odyssey you're probably already aware of that. The 6-speed transmission is very good but the DW-1 ATF is prone to breaking down earlier than Honda had originally expected.

·
Registered
8,670 Posts
Take an oil sample next change and send it to Blackstone for analysis. They will tell you if the oil was changed at an appropriate interval based on the condition of the oil.

·
Registered
131 Posts
When does the light come on with the MM? 20%? I'd just do it as soon as the light comes on. 10K might be a bit much on direct injection engine unless you are 90% highway which I doubt in a minivan.

·
Registered
2015 Odyssey EX
2,002 Posts
When does the light come on with the MM? 20%? I'd just do it as soon as the light comes on. 10K might be a bit much on direct injection engine unless you are 90% highway which I doubt in a minivan.
The Maintenance Required indicator (the little orange wrench) will light up at 15% oil life remaining. And none of the gen 4 Odyssey engines have direct injection. That started in 2018.

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
671 Posts
Take an oil sample next change and send it to Blackstone for analysis. They will tell you if the oil was changed at an appropriate interval based on the condition of the oil.
^^^ This is the real answer here. Likely 10k oil change intervals are fine (for mixed or highway driving). But to go beyond the maintenance minder would require evidence. I have rarely seen used oil analysis results using a quality synthetic (Honda 0W20 is) that show excessive wear below 8k miles, and often 10k and up intervals are still fine (low wear numbers). Use the maintenance minder, and it is unlikely you need to do oil changes earlier.

Then again, I still DIY at 5k intervals... so who am I do talk? ;)

-Charlie

1 - 6 of 6 Posts