Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2014 Odyssey that I purchased 6 years ago with 30,000 miles on it. Presently it has 82,000 miles and has been muzzled since 60,000. I have had no issues with it and have been careful to maintain it as recommended. I understand the recommended milage for changing the timing belt to be 105,000, but the time frame is more like 7 years. I am just wondering how concerned I should be, and if I can put the job off at least until next summer. I do plan on driving it south this winter and would not want to breakdown far from home. It is my only vehicle, and my wife is disabled, making a major problem away from home even more inconvenient. Do I have cause for concern, or should I just quit worrying about it?

Thanks for your thoughts!

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
6,448 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
6,448 Posts
How much is peace of mind worth to you?

Reactions: latitude500

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
6,448 Posts
Personally I am comfortable with 10 years and 100k miles.
Yep, but after a certain amount of years I'll be watching like a hawk for any signs the tensioner is on its way out, like I'm doing now with my Accord.

·
Registered
2011 Odyssey LX, 136k miles
2,257 Posts
If I told you I replaced my timing belts at 3 years or 30k miles, and have never had one break, would that help you make a decision at 8 years and 82k miles? 1 year and 10k miles? 20 years and 200k miles? The answer is that last one should help, the first two should not (much).

On my Odysseys, I've done them (myself, and that factors into the decision since I work for free, am unlikely to damage anything, and enjoy doing it) every 105k miles.

On my old Lexus LS400 with a non-interference engine, I sold it a couple of years ago with 18 years and 82k miles on the timing belt. Being a non-interference engine, I was not worried at all, but expect it is still running fine like that.

If you read on this forum, as I do, you'll find several TB disasters from a TB job done with counterfeit parts, a few TB disasters from user error on the installation, some where a component failure (TB tensioner noise, oil or coolant leak) was ignored and allowed a TB failure to occur. Virtually never do you read about a failure of an original timing belt that occurs out of the blue suggesting the belt just wore out and snapped without warning.

I'm not saying at all what your decision should be here. Just giving you some info on how I think about these things. Hope it is helpful. As said, whether you do the job yourself or not factors in to the best route for your car. If doing it yourself, the Aisin kit from Rock Auto is the one to get. If taking to an independent mechanic, you'll want to be sure what parts they are using. Also, whether dealer or indy, you'll want to be sure they replace all the parts you want (belt is the minimum, but beyond that, technically everything is optional).

If interested in understanding the probability of very rarely (or never) observed events, the Laplace Sunrise Problem is a famous and interesting example.

(and BTW, I just did a TB job on my parents' Subaru with only about +63k miles and +9 years on it. No problems before or since, but the first TB job at 105k, by the dealer replaced nothing other than the belt, and I had fun doing the work. Just saying it's not like I don't think scheduled maintenance is a bad thing)

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
6,448 Posts
My 10 year old Accord timing system with somewhere around 25k miles on it is doing fine. Another data point for you.

·
Registered
2012 Odyssey EX-L / VCM-Tuner 2
23 Posts
I had a somewhat similar situation but am at 10 years and 78K miles. No tensioner noises but was concerned about the time element. Based on advice from forum members, I got it replaced recently. I ordered the AISIN kit from Rock Auto and purchased a original Honda serpentine belt from Majestic Honda online parts store along with a driver side CV axle that also needed replacing (clicking on turning) and had my trusted local independent shop install my parts.

I asked my mechanic and he said the belt looked ok but he did mention he saw some very minor cracks for what it's worth. I did not replace plugs and will get those done at 105K.

I have the van muzzled with a VCM Tuner II proactively since about a year now when I read up about it on this forum.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
6,448 Posts
I had a somewhat similar situation but am at 10 years and 78K miles. No tensioner noises but was concerned about the time element. Based on advice from forum members, I got it replaced recently. I ordered the AISIN kit from Rock Auto and purchased a original Honda serpentine belt from Majestic Honda online parts store along with a driver side CV axle that also needed replacing (clicking on turning) and had my trusted local independent shop install my parts.

I asked my mechanic and he said the belt looked ok but he did mention he saw some very minor cracks for what it's worth. I did not replace plugs and will get those done at 105K.

I have the van muzzled with a VCM Tuner II proactively since about a year now when I read up about it on this forum.
Seems pretty normal. When I had my timing belt done on a time basis (13 years and 90k miles), I opted to replace the spark plugs since it was fairly close to the interval anyway and it makes it easier for the mechanic to turn the engine when they have the plugs out, and while the plugs are out, might as well save on labor and put new ones in.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks again for the good advice everyone. The more I think about it, the sensible thing to do is have the work done now. A friend recently totaled their car on black ice and related their frustration at used car prices as well as the lack of availability of the new ones. I think I better protect my investment. I don't want to be looking for another vehicle. I appreciate all the tips about which parts to use and what other work to have done at the same time.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I have a 2014 pilot with 88k miles. Nearly your exact scenario.
Original timing belt.
I was getting the loose tensioner rattle when started cold.
I changed it last week with the aisin kit from rockauto.
Here is the old belt...😳😳....it is time.
Automotive tire Rim Motor vehicle Wood Bicycle part

·
Registered
779 Posts
Original timing belt.
View attachment 171809
Wow
Mine with 90k miles looked brand new.
The tensioner was leaking though.

I'd replace the TB components at the 7-8 year mark. Just because of that pos tensioner.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Original timing belt.
View attachment 171809
Original timing belt.
View attachment 171809
More motivation to have mine done soon. Thanks for the insight!

·
Registered
684 Posts
Imo youre fine till next year, but what kind of temperatures its subjected to is a factor. Extreme heat and cold will shorten the life of these parts.
I did my 07 at 130k and 11+ years and all the parts looked great but Im in san diego where we dont see real cold and summers are mild if youre on the coast.
Thanks again for the good advice everyone. The more I think about it, the sensible thing to do is have the work done now. A friend recently totaled their car on black ice and related their frustration at used car prices as well as the lack of availability of the new ones. I think I better protect my investment. I don't want to be looking for another vehicle. I appreciate all the tips about which parts to use and what other work to have done at the same time.
You have to ask what you have to gain by delaying it. If its going to have to be done anyway and you have the funds theres nothing to gain by putting it off. I guess if you were planning on selling it soon you put it off, just as if youd put it off if you planned on keeping it past 200k. (Otherwise youd be doing it again too soon)
Youll find the best price with an indy shop that works on a lot of hondas but lets you bring your own parts. Local shop near me wanted 325 a few years ago. Id already bought a new floor jack just for that so did it myself.

·
Registered
38 Posts
The tensioner on my 2014 had been rattling on cold startup for the past few weeks and, at 100k miles, I decided to have it done proactively. I called three dealerships and three indy mechanics and, to my utter shock, a Honda dealer 30 minutes from me was the cheapest.

Had it done this AM, took 4 hours and the tech confirmed the tensioner was indeed toast. That said, the belt looked fine and I'm in a climate zone that ranges from -10˚ to 110˚+, so was pretty shocked. But glad to have it done.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts