Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I changed my front struts and rear shocks about a year ago on my 12 Odyssey EX (not with 180K miles). In a conversation I had with someone about another vehicle I have, I was told the rear springs should be changed if you are changing the front struts (so you don't have new springs on the front and old on the back). Is that accurate? I thought springs would generally last the life of the vehicle, and I only replaced the front springs since I bought the OEM quick struts, since I didn't want to deal with rebuilding the struts.

More specifically for my Odyssey - is there a way to measure to see if the rear shocks are sagging and need replacement?

·
Registered
261 Posts
Are your most recent alignment results within specs? Do you carry alot of items and load your rear end frequently enough to tax the springs? Is one side sagging relative to the other side? If you are not having issues I would have to say your springs are still good.

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
This ^^^ change them when they break or sag unloaded.

if your ass sags when loaded, throw some timbrens in there.

like most gen 4's the rear spring seats get obliterated, check on the state of those, cheap to replace but dont last.

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
2,837 Posts
Springs on some vehicles wear out, but that doesn't seem to be the case for the Odysseys. They can also rust and get weak or break in the rust belt.

If the ride height is still fine, no need to replace the springs. Check the lower spring seats, as already mentioned.

-Charlie

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Springs on some vehicles wear out, but that doesn't seem to be the case for the Odysseys. They can also rust and get weak or break in the rust belt.

If the ride height is still fine, no need to replace the springs. Check the lower spring seats, as already mentioned.

-Charlie
What's the best way to check ride height? I mean I know I can measure it but what is the baseline? Should the back be the same as the front? The struts on the front are new, the shocks on the back are newer but the springs on back are original. I'll check the spring seats. I didn't see issue with them when I did the shocks.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This ^^^ change them when they break or sag unloaded.

if your ass sags when loaded, throw some timbrens in there.

like most gen 4's the rear spring seats get obliterated, check on the state of those, cheap to replace but dont last.
I'll see if it sags when it's loaded. I know it didn't do well with a small trailer I had hooked up. I see recommendations on this thread for timbrens or airlift. Have to look into those.

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
They can also rust and get weak or break in the rust belt.
you got that right... wifes 2015 civic <30k miles, gingerly driven driveway queen.
front spring drivers side the base snapped off, manifested as a clunk.
dealer replacement waiting to be installed.

either the quality on the springs is shite or were having bad luck

·
Registered
546 Posts
If you have towed and/or carried heavy loads, you might need to change the rear springs with 180K on the car. However, looking at it on a level surface, with an unloaded car and no trailer, if the front and rear fenders have the same gap to the tire, its not sagging.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you have towed and/or carried heavy loads, you might need to change the rear springs with 180K on the car. However, looking at it on a level surface, with an unloaded car and no trailer, if the front and rear fenders have the same gap to the tire, its not sagging.
Thanks. I measured the outside highest point of the wheel well and all 4 are about the same, so I think I'm good. I haven't towed a trailer often with this the and weight has been fairly light (1,000 lbs at most, probably closer to 800 lbs.).

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I took a look at them today, and that lower plastic piece is definitely trashed. I don't remember it looking like that when I changed out the shocks but I might not have noticed.

What does this piece do? I know it's not expensive.

Automotive tire Artifact Wood Automotive wheel system Art

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
That is too common. That plastic stuff is cheap piece of trash and you have to order online or get at dealer. They are cheap though.

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
2,837 Posts
What does this piece do? I know it's not expensive.
Lower spring seat. Keeps squeaks from the metal-on-metal contact from happening. It'll also get you about 1/4" of ride height back. :ROFLMAO:

-Charlie

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Is it likely the top seats are bad too? I didn't think to try to inspect them but I'm not sure I would be able to anyway without taking the springs out.

Looks like the tops are about $25 each.

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
2,837 Posts
Is it likely the top seats are bad too? I didn't think to try to inspect them but I'm not sure I would be able to anyway without taking the springs out.

Looks like the tops are about $25 each.
The uppers seem to still be good on these vans so far.

-Charlie

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The uppers seem to still be good on these vans so far.

-Charlie
Thanks. I found another van to compare mine too, and my rears are definitely sagging a bit, so I think I'm going to order springs along with the lower mounts. The springs aren't too bad and I already did front shocks and rear springs.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts