Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have got a pretty neat in/out thermometer for my Ody (my first modification :) I wonder if anybody have something like this, or just have more experience in pulling wires over Odysseys - where to put the wire out? I don't like the obvious idea to do this through the door opening. Maybe there is a way to pull it into the engine compartment (without drilling any holes :)? And where is the best place to attach the sensor outside?
Thanks in advance.

[This message has been edited by DP (edited 08-14-2001).]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
329 Posts
In the "Tech" section of this site under "Aftermarket Accessories" there are instructions for installing a Donnely ECT Mirror.

It's not specifically what you want, but those instructions will show you how to pull the wire into the engine compartment.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,312 Posts
What you're looking for is in one of my albums at the address in my sig. The access to the engine compartment is in "Bulkhead Grommet Hole" and the sensor location is in "ECT Mirror". Good luck and let us know if you need anything else.

------------------
Chuck
Click here for Ody pics, mods and fixes.

[This message has been edited by ckonarske (edited 08-14-2001).]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DP:
I have got a pretty neat in/out thermometer for my Ody (my first modification :) </font>

DP, Where did you get the thermometer?

thanks,




------------------
gbaxley
'01 TW EX
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
At Canadian Tire store.
I guess you don't have them in US :)

[This message has been edited by DP (edited 08-14-2001).]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,382 Posts
There are a lot of sources for indoor/outdoor thermometers, frequently including clocks.

Radio Shack has one that simultaneously displays indoor and outdoor temperatures. IIRC it normally sells for ~$20, but has been on sale for ~$15. It's wide, probably about 3", but pretty short. It'll "fit" beneath the pocket below the radio (non-NAV) if you don't have something else there (that's where I stick my CD-changer's wired remote).

I just picked up another model at Target that's narrower and higher. It's gray, not black like most designed for use in cars, but still not too unattractive. I think it was about ~$10. Look in the housewares section if you don't find what you want in automotive.

Many hardware and home stores also have indoor/outdoor thermometers that will work, especially if you're willing to mount on the left side of the steering wheel.

I suggest that you mount the external sensor somewhere in the grill area, not behind the bumper. You want the sensor exposed to ambient air and not subject to heat radiated from the engine. (I had one mounted too close to the radiator on another vehicle. In sub-freezing weather it'd tell me it was over 100 when I got stuck in traffic.) Also, mount it so it isn't subject to sunlight, e.g., the lower slots, perhaps on the bottom of a horizontal slat.

Mel
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
251 Posts
Huh? Behind the grill, wouldn't the large amount of air flowing through it affect the temperature?

Like Mel said though, if you mount it on the bumper, the indicated temperature will be WAY off if you're stuck in traffic, but if you're moving, it should be fine.

Mel, can you tell us if mounting near the grill works after you have done it? Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,382 Posts
DDakRT,

Actually, I've got one installed now (an old one) whose internal reading seems to be unreliable. I'm going to replace it in the next couple of days.

Airflow through the grill area is not a problem; in fact, you want it so that you're really measuring ambient air temperature that's not affected by your vehicle's heat. Don't worry about wind chill, that only affects living things. Also, you want to keep it out of the sun.

Right now I've got the sensor mounted vertically on the left side of the second slot up from the bottom of the grill. It seems to work just fine here. I haven't been stuck in too much bumper-to-bumper traffic yet and haven't seen any unusually high readings.

If you don't have fog lights installed the left side opening would be ideal since there should always be air flow here (with the engine running, anyway) and it would be farther away from the radiator.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,312 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mel:
DDakRT,

Actually, I've got one installed now (an old one) whose internal reading seems to be unreliable. I'm going to replace it in the next couple of days.

Airflow through the grill area is not a problem; in fact, you want it so that you're really measuring ambient air temperature that's not affected by your vehicle's heat. Don't worry about wind chill, that only affects living things. Also, you want to keep it out of the sun.

Right now I've got the sensor mounted vertically on the left side of the second slot up from the bottom of the grill. It seems to work just fine here. I haven't been stuck in too much bumper-to-bumper traffic yet and haven't seen any unusually high readings.

If you don't have fog lights installed the left side opening would be ideal since there should always be air flow here (with the engine running, anyway) and it would be farther away from the radiator.
</font>
There's a hole in the bottom of the bumper straight below the grille that works fine, too.



------------------
Chuck
Click here for Ody pics, mods and fixes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,382 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ckonarske:
There's a hole in the bottom of the bumper straight below the grille that works fine, too.

</font>
Chuck, Now you've got my neighbor kids wondering "What's that kook doing with a flashlight under the front of his car?"


Actually, I found several holes in the bottom of the bumper that would work well. Also, if you have a front license plate there are several places that provide protection from sunlight and probably pretty good protection from being impacted by snow (e.g., when parking up against a snow bank).

Now I fear we've started a search for the ultimate external temperature sensor location
!

Mel
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,312 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mel:


Now I fear we've started a search for the ultimate external temperature sensor location
!

Mel
</font>
I don't think there is any one perfect location, meaning one that reflects accurate readings under all conditions. I'd be happy to find out I was wrong, though, if someone discovers one.

Just about anywhere you mount a sensor will get innacurate readings either when the vehicle is sitting still with warm engine air circulating around it or when sunlight is heating the area. The best I was hoping for was one that had good airflow while the van was moving.



------------------
Chuck
Click here for Ody pics, mods and fixes.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top