Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The manual says Odysey takes 5W-20, but I don't know if I can find Mobil 1 synthetic for this car.
What do you guys use?

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
I'm using Pennzoil 5W-30 until after 10,000 miles. Then I'll go to Mobil 1 5W-30.

------------------
Jim
'01 GG EX

·
Registered
128 Posts
There were a number of postings on this a few months ago. The long and short of it is that you may use 5W-30 without any problems. Of course, if you can find 5W-20 go ahead and use it. It is very new and I don't think I would use it in hot summer weather at all but rather in the winter. Another new oil I've seen out is Mobil 1 in 0W-30 - another option for the far north in winter. Some of the speculation about the recommendation for 5W-20 was to reduce the Honda fleet average MPG.

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
I found 5W-20 Penzoil at Pep Boys and put that in for my first change. Just had the local Honda dealer do the second change, and supplied them with Mobil 1 5W-30. I'd probably stick to conventional 5W-20 or 5W-30 if I planned to do 3750 changes, but I'm going to go with 7500 and use Mobil 1 from here on out.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Penoil, Castol and other companies are making 5W-20 oil now. I saw on the label said new grade 5W-20 for 2001 Honda and Ford. Guess to get better corporate mpg for cars, car manufacturers are pulling tricks out of their sleeves now.

------------------
'01 GG EX
Mud Guard, Wheel Lock, Cargo Tray, Weathertech Mats
leather steerling wheel cover
Pioneer 1655 speakers on its way.
Lojack

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
5W-20 is NOT the recommended oil for the 2001 Odyssey.

The 5W-20 recommendation for the 2001 Ody is apparently a mistake. There's a lot of confusion back and forth about it, so in March, I called Sandy Palmer at Honda, 1-800-999-1009.

She said she would talk to "Engineering" and get back to me. She called back the next day and stated unequivocally that the 5W-20 recommendation was an error.

I asked for confirmation in writing because even the dealers were getting conflicting information and I wanted to be able to back up whatever she told me. The letter she sent me is scanned and posted in my album under "5W-30 Letter from Honda". It clears up a lot of confusion.

------------------
Chuck
Click here for Ody pics, mods and fixes.

·
Registered
184 Posts
If you insist on using 5W20, try Kmart. I've seen Penzoil brand with the declaration "Recommended by Ford and Honda for most 2001 cars and trucks".. or something to that effect. I have the feeling there was a change of heart within Honda about the recommendation (fractional increase in CAFE vs durability in extreme coditions), with the current recommendation being 5W30. Personally, I'll go with the 5W30 non-synthetic when I change.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Honda pasted a new page on 01 Ody owner's manual to cover the old information. New page only shows 5W-30.

------------------
'01 GG EX
leather steerling wheel cover, Pioneer 1655 speakers,
Lojack

·
Registered
596 Posts
The oil fill cap on my 2001 calls for 5W-30. The manual calls for 5w-20, but allows 5W-30 as an alternative. I am going with Mobil-1 5W-30, for no particular reason except that it seems like a good way to "pamper" this fine machinery. I will change it at 3-4K intervals, simply because I make lots of very short trips, out of necessity (I pick up day-old bread at a local supermarket for a local food bank and lots of my trips are a mile or less). We'll see how it goes.......

Jerry O.
2001 GG LX

·
Registered
568 Posts
Jerry:

My 01 EX manual calls 5W-30 only matches my oil filler cap. Old oil info was covered by a pasted new page on my owner's manual. My 01 EX was delivered on Jul 06.

bjk

------------------
'01 GG EX
leather steerling wheel cover, Pioneer 1655 speakers,
Lojack

·
Registered
301 Posts
My 2001 LX owners manual also has the new information pasted over the old and calls for 5w30. This was a canadian Ody purchased in July.

------------------
Edmonton, Alberta
2001 Fern LX

·
Registered
215 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ckonarske:
5W-20 is NOT the recommended oil for the 2001 Odyssey.

The letter she sent me is scanned and posted in my album under "5W-30 Letter from Honda". It clears up a lot of confusion.

</font>
What is the photo number? There are waaaaaayyyy too many picks to scan thru to find it. Can it be accessed by number?

Regards
Al

·
Registered
1,312 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Guess some people just doesn't believe Honda updated their owner's manual to 5W30 only. LOL

Too bad my scanner won't work on my 01 Ody owner's manual.

------------------
'01 GG EX
leather steerling wheel cover, Pioneer 1655 speakers, 1086 on its way
Lojack

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Motomaster 100% synthetic 5w20 on sale

It was time for the oil change on my 04 and there was only 1 liter of Mobil 1 0W20 and no Mobil 1 5W20..

But Canadian tires has their Motomaster Formula 1 100% synthetic on sale now at $19.99 for 4 liters (which is from what I have read so for Formula Shell synthetic which may even be Valvoline syhthetic since it was mentioned that shell owns valvoline)...

With no Mobil 1 to be found I gave it a shot. This works out to $23 vs $38 for 4 liters. Since I still stick to 5000KM oil changes it should do just fine and the price was right.

I have found that with the large K&N Hp1004 filter that 4 liters is
exactly what it requires.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Re: Motomaster 100% synthetic 5w20 on sale

bbylon5 said:

But Canadian tires has their Motomaster Formula 1 100% synthetic on sale now at $19.99 for 4 liters
Correction, its actually 4.4 litres and as I mentioned I can fill up the filter, dump the rest of the jug in and the oil level is exactly at the full line...

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
4.4 litres of synthetic for $16.99

If you are looking to stock up Motomaster synthetic is on sale this week for $16.99 for a 4.4 litre jub. ($3.86 per litre)...
(5w20 plus all other grades as well)...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts