Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 60lb pure-bred mutt that I'll need to transport on some road trips (add in the paper: "Free puppies: Mom AKC Black Lab, Dad's a travelin' man"). I can't fold down the rear seat because I have three kids.

She's a really sweet girl, isn't all that excitable.

I'm thinking she can lay down with a nice big rawhide between the first and second row, or perhaps lengthwise between the two second-row seats.

Can't imagine the dog being content in the cargo area, especially with a couple of suitcases stacked on top of her.

Anyone else got any dog-porting tips? There's really no room for a carrier of that size anywhere except the roof, and I just couldn't do that to her.

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
You could remove one of the 2nd row captain's chairs, leaving one kid in the other 2nd row seat, and two in the third row. Trevor at handaaccessories.com sells extra striker covers for the attachment points if you want them. Otherwise, it sounds like that F150 may have to be "upgraded" someday to an Econoline or Excursion:)

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
Personally I say strap the kids to the roof rack and let the dog have both center seats. Kick the A/C on high and he can stick his nose in the vents.

------------------
Jim
'01 GG EX

·
Registered
1 Posts
hi everybody. congrats to all on a great and growing site. on to the dog...

i'm thinking put two of the kids in the middle seats, and let one share the back with the dog. this would let the dog put his nose out the tilt-out back windows, which she would probably enjoy?

the total amount of space in the van for her then wouldn't be too bad,
given the floor space between the seats, and her own place (by an open window)
in the back. i almost added various peoples laps to the available space, but at 60
pounds...woof! best of luck, Jay

·
Registered
11 Posts
I saw this thread and couldn't resist...

My 75 LB golden is going to have the back all to himself. The two girls will sit in the mid seats and Rusty The Dog will have the whole back (seat down and cargo mat over it) to his own self. At first he was scared of it as it was new but now he loves it. Why not, he has his bed and toys back there !

Dogs Rule
Come see Search.msn.com's top rated site for "Golden Retriever Pictures" (really) ...
http://users.ntplx.net/~adobeman/rusty/

Adobeman
'01 GG EX

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
LOL!

I love Rusty's site.

------------------
Jim
'01 GG EX

·
Registered
27 Posts
We have a 35 lb. dumb-but-lovable beagle (Abby*) and 8 lb. miniature rat terrier (Perl). Perl is fine anywhere, but strongly prefers laps and anywhere near treats.
Abby, however, sometimes gets motion sickness if she can't see out a window. We're trying to figure out how to handle this. We may feed her several hours before setting out so there isn't anything in her stomach. We could also try a doggy seat belt and cover a captain's chair with a sheet to keep dog smell and hair off of it. I'm sure she won't be too crazy about this, though. Her favorite position is layed out on the floor, looking dead.

BTW, we just picked up the van last week. It has a few hundred miles on it, but I've only been in the van for about an hour so far; my wife drives it daily. This will be our Ody's maiden voyage. Hopefully, all will go well. I have my GameBoy Advance, light, and 12V adapter, so I don't foresee any problems.

* Abby = Abigail = A beagle. Get it?

------------------
2000 EBP Civic Si - AEM cold air intake, Suspension Techniques 19mm rear sway
2001 SS Odyssey LX - stock (NEW!)

soon to add a 2001 SS Ody LX!

·
Registered
48 Posts
This one's easy for me.

We've got a 75lb golden also, his name's Ike. You can see photos of him in the van at the link in my .sig.

Since we have no kids yet, He gets the middle row seats in bench configuration, and likes it quite a bit.

He does miss sticking his nose out the rear windows of my '97 Contour tho. Perhaps when we replace the fiancee's (wife in less than a month, eek!
) ZX2 with a CR-V or something he'll get to do that again.

------------------
'01 DEP EX in Fairview Park, Ohio
Click here for pics.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Think the roof rack will hold our 4# Yorkie? Just kidding. Heather (AKA Spoiled Rotten)either lap rides or is occasionally on a pillow that's on the console between the seats. Hope she likes the '02 when we get it. BTW, that lap is not the driver's!

·
Registered
15 Posts
We have 2 American Water Spaniels that have the back area to themselves. We took the middle seats out. I was concerned about the carpet getting dirty and didn't want to have to stress about them getting it dirty everytime they got in the car, we decided to put down indoor/outdoor carpet from under the front seats to the front of the seat storage area. We were leaving on a road trip and I did not have time to order the latch covers we ended up putting carpet pad under the carpet. You have to look real hard to tell that it's different from the carpet up front. Anyway "the boys" have the back seat, which I covered with a water proof seat cover that I made that is the same color as our front seat covers, which matches the grey interior vinyl. Of course they would rather ride in the front seat with us, but they do like the room to roam around, especially to chase dust! Oh well it's a dogs life.
LAS
00-EX-CSS

·
Registered
88 Posts
We have a 75 lb female golden 6 1/2 years old - kinda looks like Rusty. Haven't had her in the Ody yet....but I know she'll love it.

Why can't people be like dogs?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Our dog sometimes gets motion sickness. Our vet told us that there is a product like dramimine for dogs to help with this problem. I don't think you would use this for short trips around town, but for long trips, something like this might help. I don't know the name of the product, whether it is over the counter or prescription. We haven't needed it since we found out about it. Hope this helps!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts