Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know cassette deck is kind of out dated, but some of my kid's music is only available on cassette tape.
I have ordered a 02' EXL w/ navi, I wonder where do I install the cassette player since inr thsoe van without navi, the empty pocket under the radio is where the tape deck supposed to be. However, with the navi in place, the radio is moved downed to the empty pocket, then where will the dealer install the cassette deck ? Anyone who owns the van with navi has also install a cassette deck ?

·
Registered
331 Posts
According to H and A Accessories, the cassette deck will not fit with NAV or RES. I don't know if this means it won't work if you can find another place to mount it, but I doubt it.

http://www.handaaccessories.com/odyelec02.html

Good Luck

·
Registered
148 Posts
It may be easier to convert all those cassettes to a CDR (wav format), the quality of cassettes degrade with each play -- transforming it to digital format once will keep it's integrity.

------------------

Here to help

·
Registered
72 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by lotus18:
I know cassette deck is kind of out dated, but some of my kid's music is only available on cassette tape.
I have ordered a 02' EXL w/ navi, I wonder where do I install the cassette player since inr thsoe van without navi, the empty pocket under the radio is where the tape deck supposed to be. However, with the navi in place, the radio is moved downed to the empty pocket, then where will the dealer install the cassette deck ? Anyone who owns the van with navi has also install a cassette deck ?
</font>
I think your only choice with the NAVI is to change the head unit to have the cassette there and then add a cd-changer if you need that option as well. You also will loose one of the under seat trays with the cd-changer.

·
Registered
342 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by robr2:
According to H and A Accessories, the cassette deck will not fit with NAV or RES. I don't know if this means it won't work if you can find another place to mount it, but I doubt it.

http://www.handaaccessories.com/odyelec02.html

Good Luck
</font>
I installed the in-dash CD player on my '01 LX. The accessory cassette deck that mounts under the radio on the non-Navi versions mounts in the same relative location. The wiring loom off the back of the cassette deck, if it's the same as the CD player (and I have no reason to believe it's not), is only long enough to reach from one unit to the other (ie: about 4 to 5 inches) which doesn't leave any options for mounting it somewhere else unless you want to do some significant splicing of wires. Also, you'd have to make the bracketry to mount it where ever you want to put it.

I've don't remember seeing anything that indicated that the AM/FM/CD system in the Ody EX's are any different between the Navi and non-Navi versions. Assuming that's true, the accessory casssette deck should work on both, provided you can figure out where to put it.

FWIW!

------------------
Drive Safe,
Steve R.
'01 SS LX
Cargo tray, leather steering wheel, mud guards, alarm, fog lights, transmission cooler, in-dash CD player, Kelton subwoofer, under seat storage tray.

·
Registered
72 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by lotus18:
</font>
I think your only choice with the NAVI is to change the head unit to have the cassette there and then add a cd-changer if you need that option as well. You also will loose one of the under seat trays with the cd-changer.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Originally posted by homeric:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
Note:If you change the head unit, you will lose the Navigation system voice output and the use of the steering wheel controls.
On a NAVI model, there is no tray under the passenger seat -- that's where the Navigation System/DVD is located. A changer can be installed under the driver's seat, but then there is no place to install the sub-woofer if you ever want one...
I looked into getting a cassette with my 2000 NAVI and decided it wasn't worth it.

It is possible that you may be able to find someone to install the Honda cassette deck where the cubholder/coin holder is located. I read about someone who had a customer installation, but note that Honda may not consider it covered under warranty because of the location.

[This message has been edited by jimblock (edited 09-22-2001).]

·
Registered
207 Posts
Lotus,

Stupid question, perhaps, but is this **one** kid we're talking about (viz, the word "kid's" in your post)? If so, all you may need is something like a Sony cassette walkman. You can pick one up at Best Buy for 20 bucks.

·
Registered
331 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Homer:
Lotus,

Stupid question, perhaps, but is this **one** kid we're talking about (viz, the word "kid's" in your post)? If so, all you may need is something like a Sony cassette walkman. You can pick one up at Best Buy for 20 bucks.
</font>
Homer - an absolute beautiful answer. Here we all are testing our brains looking for the most technically correct answer when the most simplistic one will do. A Walkman - nothing simpler than that. Then lotus18 can listen to whatever he/she wants.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Homer- you are so smart !
Anyway, thanks everyone for the help.
I actually have a cassette deck installed in my 99' EX and I just wonder if I could transfer over to my future 02' EX w/Navi. I guess I just have to sell my 99' with the cassette deck included.
The music tape is for my son's violin lesson and we are usually listening to it while he is on the way to the music school. Walkman is only for himself to listen and we cannot emphasis any part of the tape he should be paying attention in the music school. I think the conversion to CD-R is the only good way to go.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Glad to see I'm not the only one with the same dilemma! My EX-L Nav (when I get one!) will need some kind of cassette player too. I have two kids however, so I'm not sure what the solution will be. In my Windstar, I have the factory AM/FM cassette with a remote CD changer. Also have rear headphone jacks with speaker mute-works fantastic!
Hmmmm.....

------------------
On the waiting list for my '02 EX Nav in RED!
GOD BLESS AMERICA!!

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
I'm wondering what the fascination is for NAV. How often are you folks driving in completely new places where you need NAV?

Or is it just a toy?

·
Registered
478 Posts
For me, I wouldn't exactly call it a fascination. It does seem to be a useful tool since I do drive places that I need either directions or my Thomas Guide (or both) on a semi-regular basis. Yes, I could do without-but I could say the same for heated seats and cruise control too.
I have heard praises sung about the Acura/Honda NAV system for some time and would like to get it on my Ody.
I would say it is no more a "toy" than the RES-both are nice features but my kids do just fine with books, games, writing paper etc. and watch enough videos already! To each his/her own...

------------------
On the waiting list for my '02 EX Nav in RED!
GOD BLESS AMERICA!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by adam1991:
I'm wondering what the fascination is for NAV. How often are you folks driving in completely new places where you need NAV?

Or is it just a toy?
</font>
I use the NAV system virtually every day. I live on Long Island NY and I often go to places that I have not been to before. Even if I have, it helps to have a map to find it and the NAV is much safer than trying to Navigation by paper map when driving.

My wife uses it for her work, too. She drives to new places with only an address often.

I even use it when I'm going someplace that I certainly know ... but it is nice to get an estimated time of arrival, to have alternative routes if I run into traffic and be reminded 1/2 mile before my turn (especially in the dark or when it is raining.)

A toy? Yes -- but then so is the Odyssey in a sense. Could I get by without it? Sure -- I've been driving for over 35 years only 2 of which have a Navigation System. But I definitely prefer the Navigation System

·
1,484 Posts
I don't know if this would work but here's a possible solution:

- Get the neccessary parts that surround the 02 DVD player unit (i.e. new bin, mounting brackets, frame, etc.)
- Install the OEM accessory cassette in the spot where the DVD unit was supposed to be and plug it into the EX w/ NAVI headunit.

There might by some fit issues but nothing major I would think. If anybody sees any possible problems or issues please let us know.

-Nestor

------------------

2000 CCS EX-NAVI

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Or is it just a toy?
</font>
On a three-day round trip to Maryland (from Michigan) this past weekend my wife and I found it very valuable. Not only did it help guide us highway by highway, but once in the Maryland/Washington, DC area we used it extensively. Instead of spending five minutes on the cell phone in traffic getting directions to several people's homes we had never before visited, we simply entered their addresses into the NAVI.

On the return trip home while driving through Pennsylvania we realized that we might be passing near the area where Fallingwater is located (famous Frank Lloyd Wright-designed home). I entered "Fallingwater" into the NAVI and saw that we would be passing fairly close. Not only that, but NAVI displayed the phone number, which we called from the car to check their hours, also finding out that reservations were needed. NAVI then guided us to Fallingwater along very minor local roads that we did not have a map for.

So, valuable vs. "a toy"? Well, what isn't a toy, including DVD players, cordless phones, cell phones, beepers, Palm Pilots, etc. All have value if you gain efficiency or enhancements from their use.

------------------
2001 EX-NAVI, SS
1997 Accord EX-L, Forest Green
Previous Hondas:
1992 Accord EX, White
1982 Accord DX, Silver

·
Registered
585 Posts
Ooooo, Steve Pert hit another of nyvram's buttons! Watch out!

I absolutely *love* FallingWater. Its an amazing piece of architecture and one of my absolute favorite places in this country. Is it still completely open? I heard someone bitching about the fact that Wright's cantilevered deck was starting to sag....after 80 years!!!!!!!!!! Geez, give me a break! The foundation on my house is rotten after less than 15. The fact this place is still standing; can accomodate the thousands of visitors a month that have been going there for 50 years...and yet breaks every building code in the book just goes to show what one man's genuis can achieve.

Its too bad our society is so complex and rule-ridden that much of our true innovation is lost. Software & hardware development is one of the few remaining areas that still see this type of dramatic innovation and yet you see the stifling impact of government & private companies at work even on that.

? Where was I going with this post? Oh yeah, pretty...nature...FallingWater. If you've never seen this house, do so at your first opportunity...or tour any of Wright's famous buildings. They're all over the midwest with some smatterings in Arizona & northeast.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">So, valuable vs. "a toy"? Well, what isn't a toy, including DVD players, cordless phones, cell phones, beepers, Palm Pilots, etc. All have value if you gain efficiency or enhancements from their use. </font>
Well, sure.

But you use a cellphone regularly, for example. Same for DVD player.

But my question was, how often are NAV users driving where they've never been before and the NAV thing comes in handy?

When you're driving around town to your regular places, it's not really a useful toy--just a toy to play with.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Well, sure.

But you use a cellphone regularly, for example. Same for DVD player.

But my question was, how often are NAV users driving where they've never been before and the NAV thing comes in handy?

When you're driving around town to your regular places, it's not really a useful toy--just a toy to play with.
</font>
Well, toy is in the eyes of the beholder. I use my NAV far more often than I do my cell phone or even my CD player. (I do use the radio even more, however.)

As I said several posts up, it is valuable even when you are going to places you are familiar with -- it is easy to miss a turn at night in the suburbs...

[This message has been edited by jimblock (edited 09-25-2001).]

·
Registered
108 Posts
Fallingwater? Did someone mention Fallingwater?

Well, we took our SS ‘01 EX on a road trip from Toronto to Pittsburgh over Labour Day weekend and I visited Fallingwater too. It is just an amazing house. I heartily agree with nyvram that you have to see this house.

Here is the link to the official Fallingwater web site:
http://www.wpconline.org/fallingwater_main.htm (it is down at the moment, Monday night,
hopefully it will be back up soon). They have a major renovation planned for this winter and I believe the number of tours will be reduced and in what you will see, but check the web site for sure.

We also took our SS ‘01 EX on a road trip in April to Chicago. But, we did not have time to go to Oak Park where I hear where the highest concentration Frank Lloyd Wright houses were built. Oh well, have to wait till next time we go back to Chicago.

Too bad that there are no Frank Lloyd Wright houses in Canada. The closest ones are in Buffalo, NY. Buffalo use to have an office building designed by Wright, but that was demolished some time ago (what a shame!). The tour guide at Fallingwater said Fallingwater was the most preserved Wright house left. As most Wright houses were renovated and/or original furnishing removed.

WRT NAV, we wish we could get NAV up here in Canada. We would have bought the NAV
for sure. My in-laws have it in their Mercedes and I find it really useful on trips. We first used NAV in a Hertz rental car with NAV system in ‘99 in eastern Pennsylvania and evened my gadget cynical wife love NAV.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts