Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen a few threads of people asking before but it looks like they never got answers, just people suggesting alternatives. Does anyone know where the hard drive or more likely flash media is that the ODY uses for internal storage? I'd like to upgrade mine to something about 2 or 3 terabytes. I'm an IT engineer with a degree in EE. Even if the interface isn't already suitable to straight swap it, I'd like to take a whirl at creating an interface myself.

First I need to know physically where the internal storage is at, though. Anyone have an idea?

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I can hear what sounds like a hard drive behind the dash. Needs to be fairly quiet but I can hear something that sounds like a drive spin up just to the left of the glove box about mid way up. Without looking at a Honda tech bulletin this would be my best guess.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I don't know where it is, but I doubt it's a 3.5" HD (so an easy swap to 3TB would be tough). However, if there's physically some room, I'm sure you could wire something up off the SATA bus to adapt to something bigger. I wouldn't imagine there would be too much problem with imaging the drive and replacing (not unlike a Series 2 TiVo).

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
I've seen a few threads of people asking before but it looks like they never got answers, just people suggesting alternatives. Does anyone know where the hard drive or more likely flash media is that the ODY uses for internal storage? I'd like to upgrade mine to something about 2 or 3 terabytes. I'm an IT engineer with a degree in EE. Even if the interface isn't already suitable to straight swap it, I'd like to take a whirl at creating an interface myself.

First I need to know physically where the internal storage is at, though. Anyone have an idea?
What model do you have? I.e. for the one with NAVI, it is part of the head unit assembly, it is an hdd according to the description. Part 39176-tk8-a82. Vendor is Alpine.

Honda online store : 2011 odyssey audio unit (2) parts

·
Super Moderator
13,639 Posts
Moved to the dedicated audio/video forum. Please post in correct forums to prevent future thread locks.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Moved to the dedicated audio/video forum. Please post in correct forums to prevent future thread locks.
Sorry, after seeing a few folks get blasted for posting about a 2011/2012 in a forum other than the 2011 forum I thought it was the place to post about my 2012. I appreciate you not closing my thread!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What model do you have? I.e. for the one with NAVI, it is part of the head unit assembly, it is an hdd according to the description. Part 39176-tk8-a82. Vendor is Alpine.

Honda online store : 2011 odyssey audio unit (2) parts

It's the ex-l with nav. Looks like that is probably just a standard 2.5" laptop drive that slides into the side of the radio! If so, that should make it a simple thing to physically replace! Now that I know where to look, it's time to take the dash apart. Thanks, bigboat.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Please keep us updated, I have also been thinking about this for a while. Hate that they locked that usefull HD down to ripping cd's.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I can definitely hear the hard drive clicking when the engine is not running. Not at all loud or obtrusive. Would be great to do a hack like I did for my TiVo HD - swapped the original 150GB drive for a 1TB drive, recreated image, and now have nearly endless hours of HD recording. Or figure out a way to put MP3s directly on the hard drive so don't have to use original CDs that are entered in the GraceNotes DB and then have to type them up.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
I'd like to know too. 15 gb is useless and the fact that you can't copy anything but CD's is just brutal

·
Registered
216 Posts
Wow. 10 percent of a vehicle cost in the auto unit?! (4730 list). Remanufactured clearly the winner...
Not to mention a $300 plus cost for an obsolete 15gb drive. Even 128gb SSD's are below 50.
Insane!

·
Registered
154 Posts
The question is how the system formats the drive. If anyone pulls out a drive for some reason, we could scan the drive to see what's on it. If they don't put any software on it, you could probably buy any drive and get it to be the right format. I think however that the navigation system stores its data on there.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The question is how the system formats the drive. If anyone pulls out a drive for some reason, we could scan the drive to see what's on it. If they don't put any software on it, you could probably buy any drive and get it to be the right format. I think however that the navigation system stores its data on there.
I'd just mirror it to another drive and expand the partition.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know this thread is a few years old, but seeing as I've found little information online about replacing the Odyssey HDD with something else, I figured providing my experience would be helpful. The forum won't let me provide links to anything, sorry (it says my post isn't allowed if I do).

For the TLDR folks, I didn't get it working due to a HDD password on the stereo HDD. Now to the details:

It's very simple to remove the stereo from the console in my 2011 Odyssey by following Youtube videos. After doing so, I discovered that the HDD is actually a 2.5" IDE drive

My first thought was to purchase a USB to 44-pin IDE converter. When I got the converter, I plugged in the Odyssey's HDD in to my computer (through the converter), but found that I couldn't read the device (in either Linux or Windows). After digging around online, I came to the conclusion that I likely couldn't read the drive due to there being an ATA password on it. There is a lot of confusion online about what this means. It is NOT a BIOS password. It does NOT mean the drive is restricted to a given machine. It simply means that to access the contents of the disk, you must provide either the User or Master passwords.

Unfortunately, to start playing with HDD ATA Passwords, you MUST connect the drive natively to the proper interface on a computer. In this case, I had to connect the HDD to a machine with an IDE interface on the motherboard (SATA to IDE adapters will NOT work!). I got a hold of such a machine and plugged the drive into it (using an IDE 44-pin to IDE 40-pin cable). I was able to confirm that there is indeed an ATA password on the drive. I found a known list of ATA passwords per HDD brand, but unfortunately the default Toshiba master password didn't work.

I did lots of digging around online to figure out what the password was set to. I found that using a program called MHDD, this is easy to do with Western Digital drives. I also found that Toshiba drives do not make this easy. There is no known way to discover what the current password is set to. There are lots of references to a program called "zu.exe" that can remove the password. I also found references of one person that used "zu.exe" to remove the password and the data was still intact. I didn't use it myself because I'm not sure what the Odyssey stereo will do if the HDD has the password completely removed (which is what "zu.exe" does). Would it still work? Would it have a failure due to the drive no longer having a password?

If anyone else wants to give these steps a try and is more daring than I, have at it! I'd love to find out if anyone successfully does this.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello all,
was anyone able to replace slash upgrade the hard drive? I would like to make this my next project with some help from fellow club members, please and thanx.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts