Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '04 Odyssey with 237k miles is perfect in almost every way except for oil consumption. I never see dripping oil and the undercarriage is clean an dry. I never see blue smoke. However, if I don't top off, it loses about a quart every 5k miles. Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
My '04 Odyssey with 237k miles is perfect in almost every way except for oil consumption. I never see dripping oil and the undercarriage is clean an dry. I never see blue smoke. However, if I don't top off, it loses about a quart every 5k miles. Thoughts?
My 2000 EX ate a quart between changes, I just lived with it.
I had a heavy foot and did a lot of highway driving...combination of VTEC, a little bit of blow by.... some of the oil gets atomized, burned and out the tailpipe.

Change your PCV valve, it's a cheap thing to rule out.
if it persists, a piston soak may help free up any sticky rings, provided your rings aren't actually worn.

or just live with it...

·
Registered
2007 Odyssey EX-L
982 Posts
1 quart every 5K miles on a 237K mile engine sounds fine. All cars burn a little oil... goes right out the tailpipe.

Reactions: 0dyfamily

·
Registered
604 Posts
As said before, a quart in 5k is far, far from a level of consumption that would be considered a problem on a new car, broken in, with around 10k on it. You will not see smoke even at much higher levels. Catalytic converters will burn it, not let it pass as blue clouds.

·
Registered
7,638 Posts
Chrysler told me (and many other Dodge truck owners) that one quart per 1,000 miles on a freshly-broken-in engine was acceptable. Glad I switched to Japanese makes of vehicles, and have never looked back.

Almost a quarter of a million miles on that Odyssey, and effectively burning a hair over 6 ounces of oil per 1,000 miles ... you have, and still are getting your money's worth out of that vehicle. Keep on truckin'.

By the way, Bert ... do you really have a 288 GTO?

OF

Reactions: 2011.2017.odyssey

·
Registered
34 Posts
I woul be satisfied with your oil consumption. And just do an oil change at 5K miles. I live in Florida where it never gets below 40 degrees. I use 10 W 30 weight oil in my 300k + 02. If you are using some light weight oil, I would use something heavier. After all your bearings have more clearances now, heavier oil will be ok.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I would not sweat 1 qt in 5000 miles. However, I used Castrol 0W-40 to some benefit in an 2005 I4 accord that burned oil much more oil (the I4's are known for stuck oil control piston rings, the V6 not so). Later did the piston soak to get more improvement and reverted to using lower weight oil.
One easy thing to try to reduce oil burn is to add Marvel Mystery oil to the crankcase to replace the missing oil about 1000 miles before your oil change and let it work on any sticking oil control piston rings. Never add more than 1 qt of MMO to the crankcase. Fully fill with oil during the next oil change and repeat the MMO if the level drops in 3-4k miles.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I would not sweat 1 qt in 5000 miles. However, I used Castrol 0W-40 to some benefit in an 2005 I4 accord that burned oil much more oil (the I4's are known for stuck oil control piston rings, the V6 not so). Later did the piston soak to get more improvement and reverted to using lower weight oil.
One easy thing to try to reduce oil burn is to add Marvel Mystery oil to the crankcase to replace the missing oil about 1000 miles before your oil change and let it work on any sticking oil control piston rings. Never add more than 1 qt of MMO to the crankcase. Fully fill with oil during the next oil change and repeat the MMO if the level drops in 3-4k miles.
awesome advice.
curious what weight oil did you step up to ?

·
Registered
7,638 Posts
Your piston's oil control rings are like the "windshield wipers" of your cylinders, helping to keep just the right amount of oil on the cylinder wall for proper lubrication of the compression rings.

Keeping them clean isn't a problem if you're using modern synthetic oils (and have a VCM defeat device on newer Odys with VCM). I'm a Mobil 1 fan. They have quite a bit of detergents in them, on top of the other additives that make the name brand synthetics such a good choice.

I remember there was a company that sold a product that was essentially a quart bottle (or 1/2 quart bottle...just can't remember) of oil with the same type of detergents, just lots & lots of those detergents.

I think it's still the same company using that Rislone name.

OF

Reactions: jiantao

·
Registered
787 Posts
Scotty Kilmar, does not recommend heavier oil, in todays modern vehicles. Even with high mileage.
Check it out. (you-tube video). :)

·
Registered
150 Posts
I did a lot of research before using it and concluded there was little risk.

Castrol 0W-40 is a little more than 50% thicker than Mobil1 5W-20.

Kinematic Viscosity @100C, mm2/s
Mobil1 5W-20 8.6
Castrol 0W-40 13.1
52% thicker

Kinematic Viscosity @40C, mm2/s
Mobil1 5W-20 49
Castrol 0W-40 77
57% thicker

1 - 11 of 11 Posts