Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to track the source of an oil leak. The oil is coming down the back of the block mostly on the driver's side. It's not the oil cooler o-ring or the oil pressure switch. The highest point I can see it is on a little "shelf" of metal that sticks out at the top of the block on the driver's side - there's actually a puddle of oil in a depression on this shelf. The first pic is a low mag showing the general location, and the 2nd shows the oil on this shelf thing. Anyone seen this before? I can't tell where it's coming from...

·
Registered
455 Posts
Maybe a valve cover leak? Wipe it (or spray it) clean and check later on to see if you can locate the source any better.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Cam seal, just did mine.. my old Nemesis!!!! Have to do it again on my other Ody....

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone. It was indeed the cam seal. The seal was replaced 3 yrs ago when I had the timing belt changed. I took it back to the same shop and said I thought a seal should last longer than 3yrs if done right. They replaced it no charge. :)

·
Registered
125 Posts
clean your engine with purple power . That way its nice and clean it will be easier to spot the leak :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
cam seal

I believe my cam seal is leaking too based on the pictures shown. Is replacing the seal as easy as removing the valve cover, removing the plastic timing belt cover, removing the timing belt pulley, and swapping the seal? Does the camshaft need to be removed?

Thanks

·
Registered
336 Posts
I believe my cam seal is leaking too based on the pictures shown. Is replacing the seal as easy as removing the valve cover, removing the plastic timing belt cover, removing the timing belt pulley, and swapping the seal? Does the camshaft need to be removed?

Thanks
Camshaft stays on, the pulley comes off the camshaft.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Out of curiosity, I too have this this leak and am wondering if a culprit of this leak may also be an indication of the head gasket going bad? If I am wrong, or right, I'd like to know what you leads you to believe so.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts