Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just recently gotten transmission problems with my 2000 odyssey and after checking the solenoids i concluded that the transmission is ready for replacement. Can i get some advise were best to buy a reconditioned transmission online, that is reliable and affordable?

·
Registered
657 Posts
I got mine from ebay last Dec. and swapped it in my garage. Its a remanufactured one that was dyno tested with 2 years warranty. @6K+ miles its running as it should. I debated between that or a local shop rebuild with 1 year warranty. The dyno test and 2 year warranty won. Plus I wanted to do it myself. So far so good. Its still very early so will see if it goes the distance. I'll be happy if I get 50-75K. Should cost you between $1300-$1500 shipped if you go ebay. Then add on the labor to remove and install (if you don't do it yourself), new atf dw-1, new oil cooler and other miscellaneous stuff like motor mounts and or rear main seal. Local shop wants 4-5 bills for installation/labor only. Or they can rebuild it for about $2500. You need to call around and find one that has done honda odyssey or honda in general if you go local rebuild. Good luck.

·
Registered
16 Posts
When I changed my transmission about 70k ago I found a used van with a 20k mile Jasper transmission in it. The transmission had all the paperwork and I bought the van for $1000. I thin had a local transmission shop swap trannies on the vans (my tranny was still working, just would occasionally get the dreaded blinking D and mis shift from 2-3) for $1500. Sold the donor van cheap with the full explanantion of the transmission situation.
I'd say to scour Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace for a same age van with high miles but new tranny.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I have one to sell right now. NW FL. Maybe not to this OP, but if anyone is interested......

·
Registered
3 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
As previously mentioned. Find a good mechanic, lots of referrals, to do a rebuild.(Ask friends, ask your mechanic.)
Also, if you see, 1999-2001, odysseys, Ask the driver, How many transmissions have you replaced, And have you found a good tranny rebuilder mechanic.

I'm original owner, 2001, 4th transmission. 212,000 miles. For the 4th, tranny, found a recommended tranny re-builder in SF bay area, Ca. So far, have 60,000 miles on it, and no issues. OH, paid $1900 for the rebuild.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Those look pretty cool for the price, but a 90 day warranty doesn’t sound very good. I’m looking quite a bit at options for my 2002, maybe even a 6 spd swap. it’s still shifting well but I’ve got a quiet whining sound between 35-55 mph.
Has anyone used a JDM used transmission? Claims they're from Japan with from about 50-60k vans that are being parted out. They're used only. Not rebuilt. There's a warranty too. I need one for a 2004, but I don't want to spend a small fortune.

https://www.jdmenginesimport.com/jdm-engines/210/honda/honda-odyssey-2002-2010
or
https://jdmnewyork.com/product/2002-2004-honda-odyssey-3-5l-sohc-v6-automatic-transmission-jdm-j35a/

·
Registered
13 Posts
If you live anywhere near Atlanta, Ga, I would highly recommend Merck Automotive. Steve Merck rebuilt my transmission about 250 K miles ago. It is still running like a top (2001 - 4 speed) with one 50% fluid change. Included in the package is the installation of a transmission cooler, fully synthetic transmission fluid and a free transmission fluid change at the one year mark.
It has been three years, we drive our vehicles hard, and no complaints..........yet.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have just recently gotten transmission problems with my 2000 odyssey and after checking the solenoids i concluded that the transmission is ready for replacement. Can i get some advise were best to buy a reconditioned transmission online, that is reliable and affordable?
got remanufactured (not rebuilt) trans for my 1999 odyssey 4 years ago from rockauto.com (3 year/unlimited miles warranty) had shipped to local trans shop and replaced...$500 core charge refunded quickly with free pick up & return shipping on old trans...still running great...might want to replace the rear oil seal at the same time while the trans is out

fyi...built by ETE REMAN...came filled with Honda fluid & Hayden Cooler Included...costs me about $1900 with shipping & tax (plus $900 for install making the total $1000 less than cost of rebuilding locally) but not seeing a trans assembly currently listed on rockauto...trans shop said this was brand they would use if they supplied a reman trans

·
Registered
535 Posts
I would recommend buying a transmission overhaul or rebuild kit and having a good transmission shop rebuild it for you. The following thread gives you all the info you need. https://www.odyclub.com/threads/my-03-odyssey-transmission-experience-and-discovery.158045/page-5#post-2351477

1 - 10 of 10 Posts