Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Odyssey Touring
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any suggestions for car seat configurations for three car seats? We will have either two forward facing, or one forward facing and one rear facing convertible (TBD in coming months), plus an infant car seat in a base.

Putting all three in the second row is not an option because I think getting into the back row (which we will need occasionally for extra riders) would be impossible.

So we're leaning toward either putting two toddlers in the back row and infant car seat in second (with other captain chair open) or oldest in back row and two youngest in the middle row. Has anyone used either of these two configurations or are there other suggestions?

I've also read an idea to put two oldest in the back, and remove middle and one captain chair entirely for massive access and space to change diapers and the like, but then you lose the functionality of the extra seat.

Feedback appreciated!

·
Registered
2020 Honda Odyssey EX
278 Posts
You pretty much covered it all. It comes down to how the kids behave and how they get along. I personally would prefer:
two oldest in the back, and remove middle and one captain chair entirely for massive access
But this defeats the idea of having seats for guests.

That said, the Odyssey is the minivan that can have three car seats in the second row. You will find that useful on trips where you need the cargo space.

·
Registered
91 Posts
We have a rear facing with a base in the second row behind driver. We removed the middle console and slid the second row passenger seat over towards the driver side. This allows good access to third row from passenger side but also still gives you a place to store some items in this seat.

We then put 3 kids in the third row - one of which is out of a car seat and the other two are in convertible boosters.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Our three kids all sit in the middle row. When anyone needs to sit in the back row we lower the single rear folding seat and they climb in through the back.

This setup means we don’t need to constantly remove the seats when we need to load the back with larger items, and pack it full on road trips. The space gets used on a day to day basis more than I would have ever imagined.

It also lets us pass them drinks or toys that they drop, where if they were in the back we wouldn’t be able to help them with that.

Our middle child had wanted us to move his seat to the rear and he played with that for a couple trips but preferred the convenience of the middle row so they all stay there (which makes us both happy)

All three of mine are current in forward facing seats but for a time we had one that was rear facing. The oldest is in the middle because she uses the least amount of assistance when buckling in.

·
Registered
2007 Odyssey EX-L
1,809 Posts
Random thought, but the center seat in the middle row is probably the safest seat in the whole car, since it's smack dab in the middle of the vehicle. Unless you frequently need to use the 3rd row, I think putting 3 in the middle row is probably what I would do.

Reactions: 0dyfamily

·
Registered
3 Posts
We do 1 (oldest in booster) in the third row and other two in middle row. The middle seat is removed and one seat is slid to the middle. Works for us since the oldest can buckle themselves and we don't have to climb into the back.

·
Registered
2022 Odyssey Touring
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the tips. I don't think for now it's feasible to do all three in the middle row regularly because that would be the front facing oldest one in the middle, who can't buckle himself, and it would be impossible to have him surrounded by two rear facing car seats although I suppose one will be a bucket that could be left out until the middle seat is buckled. But it just seems like too much for daily use. Though it sounds like a great idea for one off long trips when we could use the entire back seat folded down for luggage.

I think we are definitely going to put the oldest forward facing in the back, the only question is whether to have our second child rear facing back there too... On one hand, it'll be double the work to squeeze back there to get a rear facing child buckled, on the other hand at least they'll each have each other's company.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Thanks for all the tips. I don't think for now it's feasible to do all three in the middle row regularly because that would be the front facing oldest one in the middle, who can't buckle himself, and it would be impossible to have him surrounded by two rear facing car seats although I suppose one will be a bucket that could be left out until the middle seat is buckled. But it just seems like too much for daily use. Though it sounds like a great idea for one off long trips when we could use the entire back seat folded down for luggage.

I think we are definitely going to put the oldest forward facing in the back, the only question is whether to have our second child rear facing back there too... On one hand, it'll be double the work to squeeze back there to get a rear facing child buckled, on the other hand at least they'll each have each other's company.
That would definitely suck putting a rear facing seat in the third row. If you are young and small then it wouldn’t be too bad. I would probably look for the easiest to quick detach car seat/base if I were going to do that.

·
Registered
150 Posts
We have had 3 carseats in the Odyssey for the last nearly 4 years. We have played with the configuration several times, and have landed where we are today because we wanted to be able to use the magic slide 2nd row seats. Oldest in forward facing 3rd row on the 40% side (he can buckle himself). Younger 2 in the 2nd row. 2nd row has transitioned from 1 rear facing and 1 carseat base, to 2 rear facing, to now 2 forward facing.
Benefits of this configuration: being able to slide the seat over to the side gives enough space to change diapers, etc. Having the 60% side of the 3rd row available to fold flat is excellent for carrying larger/longer items, as they fit between the two seats of the 2nd row if needed.
I think at one point when we had one in a carseat w/base in the 2nd row, we wanted a free seat in the 2nd row for my wife to tend to the baby while we drove. We put the oldest and the middle child in the 3rd row and that generally worked well. The downside is less flexibility in the cargo space.

·
Registered
517 Posts

I don’t think cabin watch will be able to see a rear facing child in the third row. I could be wrong though. I’ve never tried. Perhaps someone here knows for sure if that will work.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Did 3 in middle row, with two rear facing and one front facing, for a good year and a half. Worked good. Now kids are older and can buckle themselves, putting those 2 in 3rd row is easy choice…

·
Registered
2022 Odyssey Touring
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
All good ideas, thanks. That's an interesting idea to put one in the back and lower the other two seats.

I hadn't also considered that the rear facing in the third row might be a huge PITA that would get old quickly. I guess we will play around with some configurations and see what works, including 3 in the middle row though I still think that one will be tough for us with two rear facing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
All good ideas, thanks. That's an interesting idea to put one in the back and lower the other two seats.

I hadn't also considered that the rear facing in the third row might be a huge PITA that would get old quickly. I guess we will play around with some configurations and see what works, including 3 in the middle row though I still think that one will be tough for us with two rear facing.
3 in the middle isn’t bad. Oldest in the middle. I reach through the middle when sitting in the drivers seat to help buckle. It she hops right in on her own. On reaching over other seats. It’s easy!

·
Registered
349 Posts
Any suggestions for car seat configurations for three car seats? We will have either two forward facing, or one forward facing and one rear facing convertible (TBD in coming months), plus an infant car seat in a base.
Putting all three in the second row is not an option because I think getting into the back row (which we will need occasionally for extra riders) would be impossible.
So we're leaning toward either putting two toddlers in the back row and infant car seat in second (with other captain chair open) or oldest in back row and two youngest in the middle row. Has anyone used either of these two configurations or are there other suggestions?
I've also read an idea to put two oldest in the back, and remove middle and one captain chair entirely for massive access and space to change diapers and the like, but then you lose the functionality of the extra seat.
Feedback appreciated!
Who needs to get to the third row? If it is a child, use three across in the center row and then let the child get into the third row by flipping down the passenger side third row seat and they can crawl in easily.

·
Registered
2022 Odyssey Touring
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It would most likely be adults. Makes it a bit hard. Even if children though, it wouldn't be a child without a car seat so would be too tough to let them through the back. But it wouldn't be that often, so maybe we can figure out how to do 3 in the middle. Hopefully we'll be able to figure out relatively quickly.

Other than that, I'm starting to think two in the middle row and only one in the back row may be the next most painless, because having to crawl into the back to help two kids may be too much effort on a regular basis.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi can I ask what you decided on? Due with #3 (all will be 3 and under) and not sure where to put everyone… oldest is reluctant to go to the back, and he’s not able to buckle himself

·
Registered
Odyssey 2020 / Civic 2016
11 Posts
we have triplets and what we did when they used car seats is two car seat in the 3rd row and one car seat in the 2nd row... we leave the middle seat and remove the left seat in the 2nd row. We did it this way to have more space to reach the kids in the 3rd row.
We had this configuration when they were babys, toddlers and kids.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
With our smaller 1st Gen Ody and only 2 kids, we also removed one of the middle row seats. Mom and newborn sat in the back (getting the VIP treatment!:cool:) and older brother was behind dad.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Don't have kids, but came across these videos on putting toddlers and infant car seats and in the third row from the hatch. Can't upload videos on here, so hopefully, these links stay acitve.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts