Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where would be the cheapest place to buy OEM Honda filters, plug gaskets, etc in large amounts? (like a case of oil filters)

I checked some of the links here, but most don't say if you get a discount on large quantities or not.

Anyone have experience with this?

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Are you using them quickly, or are you looking to get a good price and then let them sit on your shelf and use one at a time as you need them?

There was some discussion here not too long ago about how oil filters degrade over time, sitting on the shelf. You may be looking at a false economy by buying them in bulk like that for personal use.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I believe a case of Honda filters contains 30 filters. That's a lot of stocking up.

Hondapartsforyou.com has a pretty good price ($4.15, including shipping, IIRC) if you buy a dozen.

Mel

·
Registered
200 Posts
Hondaparts4you had a special last week when I ordered. 3 filters and plug washers for $13.50.

Jeff

------------------
Jeff

'01 SS EX
Cassette, Rosen Video System, Fog Lights, Splash Guards
Full Nose Mask, Donnelly ECT Mirror,
ROSS Back-up System

See photos at:
http://www.fototime.com/inv/B5EC5C7BC6CFA07

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by adam1991:
Are you using them quickly, or are you looking to get a good price and then let them sit on your shelf and use one at a time as you need them?</font>
I put a ton of miles on my cars, so I do use them pretty quick.

Thanks for the responses...

·
Registered
596 Posts
Are you using them quickly, or are you looking to get a good price and then let them sit on your shelf and use one at a time as you need them?

There was some discussion here not too long ago about how oil filters degrade over time, sitting on the shelf. You may be looking at a false economy by buying them in bulk like that for personal use.
</font>
Adam- I missed whatever was said about filter degredation while on the shelf. Has this been proven, or just a point of speculation? I cannot imagine the filter media going bad at any reasonable ambient temperature, since all the materials in the filter are designed to endure much higher temperatures, while in service. I guess one could store them in the freezer, if they were going to degrade at normal temperatures, Hee! Hee! Also, how do we know warehouse or store stock is faithfully rotated? I would guess rotation of stock would not be a very high priority, in that business.

Jerry O.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
I don't think the discussion ever got beyond someone's offhand comment about the filters going bad sitting on the shelf. I don't know if that's true or not.

But a little research would probably find some information, and it might be worth it.

jets: what kind of miles do you drive that you'd go through a case of filters in a reasonable amount of time? At even 3K oil changes, that's 90K miles. Do you do that kind of driving within a year or two?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
adam1991,

I may be doing several trips to California & Florida from my home here in Chicago within the next couple years.

I was just thinking of getting a case of filters so they are ready when I need them. (I don't really like having to go to the dealer & get ripped off buying them 1 at a time)

A long shelf life however probably would effect them. All the aircraft filters & o-rings I deal with have a shelf life on them.
Some types of regular white paper tends to yellow after a few years. Also the rubber gasket may break down.

I'll probably just buy a few at a time... Better safe than sorry I guess???

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Yeah, I'd agree: better safe than sorry.

Buy a few at a time from mail order places that offer deals. When you get down to the last one on the shelf, order a few more.

On the other topic, I think we're all HIGHLY interested in your Ody adventures as you put those kinds of miles on it in such a short period. How comfortable it is, what kind of gas mileage do you get, problems that crop up, etc. Do keep us informed!

·
Registered
58 Posts

On the other topic, I think we're all HIGHLY interested in your Ody adventures as you put those kinds of miles on it in such a short period. How comfortable it is, what kind of gas mileage do you get, problems that crop up, etc. Do keep us informed!
</font>
I have a 99EX with 130,000 miles on it. Runs like a top.

·
Registered
596 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DUTCH:
I have a 99EX with 130,000 miles on it. Runs like a top.</font>
Wow, Dutch, you could sell the house and just stay in the Odyssey, Hee! Hee! I figure, in the time you have had that van, you or someone spent around a full year of forty-hour weeks at the helm. Wow!

------------------
2001 GG LX w/MacNeil Deflector and front window deflectors; MacNeil LampGuards; Michelin XGTH4s, size 235/60HR16.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts