Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for some input, experiences and comments on what accessories make sense to purchase on the new 2001 EX model. If you are reading my post, I would encourage you to share your thinking even if you have not purchased accessories. It will benefit all of us!!

Our local Honda dealer tells me that any options purchased at the time of delivery of Odyssey 2001 EX Van are grandfathered into the standard warranty (possibly extended too, if you choose to buy it!).

I am leaning towards having the dealer install Honda Cassette and just buying the splash guards, cargo tray and full nose mask aftermarket.

How hard are these accessories to install, say on a scale of 1-10, 1->easy, 10->hard. It may seem easy, but I am also looking to have a decent/professional outcome to my installation. Like is there a lot of room for error, etc. etc.

How easy or difficult is it to install a full nose mask ?

Also, some people prefer the clear (sticker type) mask (which sticks to the exterior body!). Any comments relating to pros/cons of different types of nose masks will be appreciated!

How about the Thorite sound shield corrosion package ? They spray the underside of the van with soundproofing material which (feels rubbery after it dries up) is supposed
to improve/reduce the amount of road noise, etc. Is that worthwhile to get ? Actually they are offering a 5-year package for interior, exterior corrosion protection and Thorite sound shield application for under $300.

Please share your experiences here relating to:

1. Splash Guards
2. Fenderwell Trim
3. Door Edge Guards
4. Full Nose Mask
5. Wheel Locks
6. Leather Steering Wheel Cover
7. Cargo Tray
8. Other

You can see the accessories at http://www.handa-accessories.com/odyint.html and
http://www.handa-accessories.com/odyext.html

[This message has been edited by anonymouse (edited 03-20-2001).]

[This message has been edited by anonymouse (edited 03-20-2001).]

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
In my opinion the cargo tray and leather steering wheel cover should be standard equipment. The cargo tray is a must have if you use your Ody at all. You pop it in and forget it. The Magic Seat folds down into it.

------------------
Jim
'01 GG EX

·
Registered
153 Posts
Any of your listed items are very simple to install. There is no need to involve the dealer.

The steering wheel cover and the door edge guards are slightly more difficult but if you can change a tire, you can probably handle them. (In the case of the wheel locks, this is certainly true.)

(I don't know what changing a tire is on a scale of 1 to 10. I'd call it a 2 or 3.)

I can't comment on the value Thorite specifically, but it sounds like the dealer would be nearly duplicating warranties you already get with the vehicle. I usually avoid anything and everything the dealer suggests. ("That Truecoat - they put that on at the factory." - Fargo)

[This message has been edited by Lorax (edited 03-20-2001).]

·
Registered
84 Posts
These are just my opinions....

1. Splash Guards... glad I have them on my '90 Accord, they look good and keep the puddles & mud off your lower body panels. I got them again on my Ody. They are easy to install yourself, with a stubby screwdriver... the key is not to over tight the screws. I wheeled and deal when I bought the Ody, and got all my options at below MSRP installed, so the dealer put them on. When I got home I checked them out to make sure they weren't screwed down too tight which would cause them to crack around the screws, and found the opposite problem on one which was barely screwed on. I just took a stubby and did it right. I was disappointed in the length though... the ones on my '90 Accord are longer and a bit more protective. Still, a mandatory option in my opinion.

2. Fenderwell Trim.... Nope! Don't like... just a bit too "anal" for me. I like to hose out my fenderwells when I wash the cars, and I'm afraid that the fenderwell trim just might trap mosituure and create probelems.

3. Door Edge Guards... got them on my Accord (well a couple are still on, LOL) and no way would I ever have them again! I think they detract from the appearance, after awhile they start to come loose, you catch them in your wash/polish cloths and they become a pain in the butt and when you take them off the paint is damaged in a couple of spots requiring you to get new ones or fix the paint. I actually got replacements for the Accord and never put them on, because I just don't like them... so I didn't get them for the Ody. My view is that they are to protect your door edge when you open it into other cars and such, which I don't do anyway. So what's the point of putting something on your door's edge which screws up the paint, to protect it??? Don't make sense to me, plus the painted edge looks better and is not as delicate in everyday use! I don't recommend them at all.

4. Full Nose Mask... I think they are _ugly_, are maintenance intensive, and who ever came up with them should be shot! LOL, okay that might be a bit drastic. IMO, they will just screw up your paint more thouroughly than an occassional rock will.

5. Wheel Locks.... I got the LX, which means someone would have to take off the lug nuts to steal the hubcaps... and I just don't think there is a blackmarket for them or the standard steel wheels. The EX wheels look nice as long as you don't damage the clearcoat, but I can't imagine a market for them on other than Honda Ody's and I don't think there will be too many Ody owners out stealing an extra set of wheels. So, for convenience sake... I wouldn't want to bother with wheel locks on a set of standard wheels. I carry more keys than I like as it is, and wouldn't want to hassle it when changing a flat, rotating tires, etc.

6. Leather Steering Wheel Cover... still up in the air on this one. I've used aftemarket ones in the past, which were a definite plus as we live in desert and they made the steering wheel touchable in the summer. But they were the type that had the little holes in them and were cool. The pictures I've seen of the Honda one for the Ody, really looks good compared to the aftermarket wrap ones, but I wonder if they are as cool. I think the Ody steering wheel is nice, has a soft, comfortable feel... and if I lived in an area that was moderate temps year round... I wouldn't bother. But if you get snow & cold in Winter... I'd go for it and I may or may not here in the desert. I've found that by either using one of those sunscreens in the windshield or laying a sweater across the wheel when parked while I'm out and about, eliminates the hot steering wheel problem. LOL, and my wfe always has a sweater in both cars for me (always prepared you know... even in 120 plus temps!). That one should be an easy install.

7. Cargo Tray... like was previously posted... should be standard! A definite must. No installation involved, just drop it in.

8. Other....

Fog Lights... 16 pages of installation instructions, involving removing the front bumper, etc. More work than I wanted to hassle with, so I told dealer I could get them for spit over $300 from Trevor but didn't want to hassle the installation. Dealer's MSRP on them installed was over $500 plus more tax. I told dealer if Trevor could sell them for around $300 and make a profit, so could they. I told him I'd go $400 even, tax & installed or I'd battle the installation myself and get them elsewhere. Dealer countered with $424 and I said no (but If he hadn't caved, I would have! LOL). Anyway, I got them for the $400 and that means _less_ than a hundred to have them already installed when I got the car... which I thought was well worth it. I love the Fog Lights even more than I thought I would. Even my wife, who thought they were just a toy for me, loves them too. There is a lot of two lane roads that everyone hauls a-- on out here in the desert, and what I like is when you come up out of a wash or something with a Semi coming towards you, and you have to go to low beam... it automatically kicks in the fog lights and keeps track of the road (no shoulders out here). They are an option that has to be experienced to be fully appreciated.... I highly recommend them.

Cargo mat: It's nice, but bulky. I had a full sized van back in the 70's, and I had found a large orange rubberized thick tarp at a surplus store that rolled up out of the way when not in use, but covered the entire floor when hauling anything like surfboards or sap dripping fire wood etc. If I run across something like that again, I'll probably retire the cargo mat to go in front of my outdoor utility sink or something.

As far as the sound damping undercoating mentioned goes, ...I think all optional "undercoatings" are just "snake oil" and may even be more problematic. When we picked up our Ody, we test drove it first before we wrote out the check. I was surprised by its quietness, it is even quieter than our '90 Accord IMO. The salesman commented that the 2001 models have additional noise damping that the 2000 models don't have. I don't know if that's true or not, but I don't understand why so many people think the Ody is so loud?? ...ours isn't.

We got the LX because when we want to get into the side doors in a sandstorm or bad weather, we want to be able to open & close them quickly... instead of the slowness of the power doors... also, the manual sliders open & close easier than our patio sliding door... and will always work without hassles. We did want the keyless remote entry & alarm though, ...that doesn't come standard on the LX, so we negotiated a pretty good deal on that option installed also.

Living in the desert, we thought it was a good idea to get the Trans. Oil Cooler. I think anyone living in a mountainous area or the Sun Belt would be wise to get it if they plan on keeping it more than 3 years. Also, we got the tow package installed, so trans. oil cooler is a must for towing IMO.

What I did was figure what options I wanted, then priced them with Trevor. Figured what I was willing to pay to have them installed versus me installing them. (Like less than $100 to install the fog lights... you bet!) Then I played two dealers against each other on the options. Both dealers were MSRP on the vehicle, but I ended up getting all the options installed for much less than their MSRP... even got them to go their cost on the 7/100/0 HCW and I picked that up for only $825 (would have gotten it for $750 if our Ody came in before Jan., but there was a price increase in Jan. and our Ody didn't show up until March 1st... but, even at $825... it's fairly cheap peace of mind and about as cheap as just Road Service/towing coverage from Good Sam for a similar time period... and the HCW covers the car itself too.) Had it on the Accord, and never used it. Hope to never use it on the Ody too, but at that price... how could I resist??

Anyway, everyone has different thoughts and tastes on options... the above are my viewpoints and thinking on our choices. I hope it's helpful. I enjoy reading other people's take and choices on options, too... like should I or shouldn't I go for the leather steering wheel cover.

Best Regards,
Skybolt

------------------

2001 Starlight Silver LX
Splash Guards
Cargo Tray
Cargo Mat
Keyless Remote Entry & Alarm
Trans. Oil Cooler
Tow Package
Fog Lights

·
Registered
185 Posts
Hi anonymouse,

Welcome to the forum.

* Splash guards - Install was not that difficult but a bit tricky for the rears. See my review in a separate thread for some tips. Guards are too short in my opinion though. Hoping for an aftermarket to replace them.

* Nose Mask - don't have them but I've always stayed away from them since they over time tend to loosen and rub against the paint.

* Wheel Locks - I'd probably get these just for peace of mind.

* Leather Steering Wheel Cover - not hard but not that easy either to install; very nice feel adds to the driving enjoyment; your hands will get a good "beating"; use leather gloves

* Cargo Tray - a must have; I've been through a couple of episodes already (e.g., grocery spills, planter toppled over, etc.) that made me grateful I have it.

* Cargo Mat - Good quality and practical for loads that fit its size; for larger size cargo, a tarp would probably do just fine.

Thanks,
Errol

------------------
Keohi Web Design
Keohi HDTV

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
My interpretation of the Honda base and extended warranty is that any authentic Honda accessory installed by any Honda dealer at any time will be covered for at least 1yr/12k or for the duration of the factory base/extended warranty, whichever is longer. So, you don't have to have them at time or dealer of purchase, though you may save some hassle and/or get a better deal. If you install a Honda accessory yourself, I believ the warranty is 1yr/12k on parts cost only. I put how easy I think the installation is after each item, though some are based only on the instructions since I didn't do it myself.

I have the cargo tray(1) and splash guards(3), which are both worth the online price and easy to install yourself. No warranty needed for these really. I also purchased the fog lights (9) and remote keyless entry (7) from Trevor and had the local dealer install them (about $150 or 2 hours labor for each). Also bought the leather steering wheel wrap (3) and installed it myself, and had the dealer install some wheels I bought on ebay.

You can see my foglights and splash guards at http://www.caviller.com

[This message has been edited by caviller (edited 03-21-2001).]

·
Registered
276 Posts
Cheap aftermarket full nose mask will stretch over time and become loose, Honda mask doesn't. (my full nose mask is exactly 2 years old this month and it is still a perfect fit)
Though some people dislike the look of full nose mask, they do have a few advantages:
1. They protech the front bumper from flying objects you usually found on freeways. (my bumper is still as good as it was 2 years ago)
2. They protect the bumper from misjudgement pulling into the garage since you cannot see the right edge of the bumper.

As long as you routinely remove and clean the inside of mask, you shouldn't have any problem with it. Installation is not too bad except that you need to stretch the side piece really hard otherwise it won't reach the wheel wells.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I've always had a philisophical reason for not using nose masks. Certainly, the nose end of your car will hold up better with one on it . . but you never get to see the nose of your car! Unless you actually prefer the look of the mask to the naked look, then it seems a bit ironic that the very thing you're trying to protect you never get to see anyway.

For me, I like the naked look. You can't see those little nicks and chips (which can be avoided in part by not following too closely, those bastards who cut you off notwithstanding) from more than a few feet away, but you can see the nose mask from hundreds of yards away.

To each his own. It's just not worth the money or trouble to me.

------------------
'01 SS Honda Odyssey EX
'99 F150 XL Supercab
'00 Kawasaki ZR-7

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Anyone have experiences with "clear" nose mask ? It seems like a reasonable alternative to the regular/black nose mask.

·
Registered
197 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by hgani:
Cheap aftermarket full nose mask will stretch over time and become loose, Honda mask doesn't. (my full nose mask is exactly 2 years old this month and it is still a perfect fit)
Though some people dislike the look of full nose mask, they do have a few advantages:
1. They protech the front bumper from flying objects you usually found on freeways. (my bumper is still as good as it was 2 years ago)
2. They protect the bumper from misjudgement pulling into the garage since you cannot see the right edge of the bumper.

As long as you routinely remove and clean the inside of mask, you shouldn't have any problem with it. Installation is not too bad except that you need to stretch the side piece really hard otherwise it won't reach the wheel wells.
</font>
hgani,

How is that mask doing? Still good?

I'm thinking of getting to help protect the front from pebbles/rocks on the highway.

Anyone have the Honda mask want to comment?

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by BobN:
I'm thinking of getting to help protect the front from pebbles/rocks on the highway.

Anyone have the Honda mask want to comment?

</font>
We use ours only for road trips. I run the nose mask minus the hood portion of it. I have a MacNeil bug deflector on the hood. It's really nice to be able to pull the mask off and have a perfect bumper cover. No bugs or chips! The mask just wipes off with a damp rag.

------------------
Jim
'01 GG EX w/stuff
'93 Nissan Sentra SE-R with more stuff

·
Registered
78 Posts
Jim, I like your setup with the deflector and the bumper mask. I have used combinations of hood and/or bumper masks on my last 3 hondas. While I don't use them full time, they are on for much of the winter.

My question to everyone is, are there any of you that have installed the fixed bug deflectors and then been unhappy with them and switched to a mask? I am uncertain about having the deflector there 100% of the time and can't make up my mind which way to go. I have some time (February delivery) but want to start ordering accessories by mid-January.

------------------
Dan
'02 SS EX (on the list)
'97 CRV
'92 Civic EX (soon to go)

[This message has been edited by soccerody (edited 01-03-2002).]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts