1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
5,977 Posts
You don't need that machine to apply wax, that's for paint correction. You apply wax by hand using a foam pad.

I use meguairs ultimate wax. East to apply and won't leave white residue on the trims.

·
Registered
2015 Odyssey EX
2,587 Posts
+1 for Meguiar’s. I’ve used their products for years on all my cars with great results.

I’d also suggest not using a machine if you’re applying wax for the first time ever. It will undeniably take some extra time and effort on a vehicle with as much surface area as a Honda Odyssey to do it by hand, but there are advantages to going slow to start.

Taking the time to really look closely at every inch of painted surface is educational - you get a chance to spot imperfections and take note of what needs to be done. You can also damage the paint with a powerful polisher like that DeWalt. It needs a careful hand to be really effective.

If you have kids around, get them to help. It’s how my dad taught me. I didn’t always do it perfectly, but it was easier for him to fix up spots I missed rather than do it all himself. It is very difficult to damage the finish when waxing by hand, so letting kids help is a low-risk proposition. And it gets them outside and busy doing something useful.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you. I will look into Mequira. After did some research, wax is only to protect the paint but if I want to remove some dirty stuffs stick on the paint I need to polish. After I did hand wax on the hood I felt small fine bumpy all over the hood so I guess I need to polish it first with Meguiar's 205.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I also like Meguiars ultimate wax. My main go to.

Polishing may not remove the roughness you are feeling. Polishing is for removing swirls and scratches and enhancing the shine. You want to clay the paint to remove the surface roughness you are feeling. After that your paint will be as smooth as glass.

If you do decide you want to try polishing get a dual action polisher. Those are very safe to use. Autogeek.net is a great forum with lots of good how tos.

Good luck!

Sent from my Galaxy Note 8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
245 Posts

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Asking what's a good wax is like asking if you prefer blondes, brunettes or redheads, lol. The truth of the matter is, there are tons of different products out there and all have some type of application use.

In the past, I've used Klasse All In One, and Klasse Sealant Glaze with excellent results and very good durability. I used top it off with Zymol. But, depending on your paint, you may need to do more such as clay bar, followed by a polish of some type. Polishes will help correct swirls but don't protect your paint.

The latest and greatest craze is Ceramic paint coatings. They require a great deal of work prior to applying, and must be applied with very specific ways but the results will last 12 months or longer (some claim 2 years).

I just purchased this product and while it does nothing for swirls really, it does produce a deep shine with all the effort of a quick detail spray. I used the 'dry' method, which seems to be the preferred way to go. Mist on, wipe off. I used one cloth for wiping, and followed with a dry microfibre for light buffing. The best part is that it can be applied to everything - wheels, glass, trim, plastic.

https://www.detailersdomain.com/collections/our-favorites/products/hydrosilex-recharge

If you do want to use a wax just for a top coat which is easy to apply, and gives great results, and is extremely easy to remove with no chalky residue, try P21S:

https://www.detailersdomain.com/collections/p21s/products/p21s-concours-look-carnauba-wax

While you're at it, the P21S wheel cleaner is awesome stuff.

Good luck!

Reactions: parmm

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you, everyone for your value input.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Zano

How much time and money do you want to spend on your Odyssey’s paint finish. If you are looking for the ultimate shine and durability then look at the Zano line of products that you can only buy online Zaino Store
Its what I use on my 2006 S-2000 New Formula Red. After being disappointed with the results of other one step products I switched to Zano. It’s a pretty involved process with multi layers Z-2 polish followed by more layers of Z-5 polish. You use the product sparingly as less than an 1 OZ will do a coat on the whole car. After my initial treatment of my S-2000 in 2007 every couple of years I just give it a refresh with a couple of coats of Z-2 and Z-5. It requires no hard rubbing, you have no residue, and you don’t need an expensive orbital polisher.

If you decide to go the machine orbital buffer route the consensus of those on the S-2000 form was the Porter-Cable was the best and it also has conversion parts that make it an excellent finish sander for work working. I didn’t feel like spending a weekend polishing and protecting a large vehicle I used that buffer with Meguiars pro products on our 2005 Odyssey with good results but nothing that was close to a Zano shine.

As others have stated surface preparation is essential especially if you have a neglected finish that might need a good clay bar and other cleaning. One other hint never and I repeat never use Dawn dishwashing soap to wash your vehicle on a regular basis. It is powerful stuff that will remove any existing wax or polish that is on your vehicle. I only use it if you I want to remove all existing finishes which is a good idea when starting a wax/polish process.

·
Registered
8 Posts
We're using Meguiars Ultimate Wax on our 2015 Ody (purchased CPO in April). There are some fine scratches and have a Porter Cable DA and some polish and compound to use, when I eventually get to it. Amazon had a porter-cable kit on subscribe and save for some reason, so I purchased it through that with my other S&S stuff to get the 15% discount, then canceled (I don't need a new DA polisher every month!). I've used Zaino on my past vehicles and can attest it is probably the best out there, albeit a little more initial effort to use. The law of diminishing returns apply...Zaino durability/shine may be 10-15% better than newly applied Meguiars ultimate wax, but at significantly more than 10% cost and effort. For our minivan (wife's daily driver), the gains didn't warrant the effort/cost so that's why I went with Meguiars (and my Z2 and Z5 are past best-by dates, so I would need to spend $ if i went that route).

·
Registered
440 Posts
Reviving an old thread but I think it’s relevant. I can highly recommend both Meguiars Ultimate Paste Wax and Turtle Wax Ice Seal n Shine. I did the maguiars Wax on my CX-5 almost a month ago after running clay over the freshly washed car. Very easy to apply and remove after clay. For grins and giggles, I applied the Turtle Wax Ice over that. Even easier to apply and lightly buff off by hand. I figured the ultimate stuff would be a great sacrificial base coat and the Ice would add another layer on top.

I let it sit overnight in the garage to cure. No directions on either product to do that but a lot of people claim it helps longevity. 3 weeks later water still beads like crazy off of the car. It washed very nicely too. Water still beading after a wash with Maguiars deep crystal. The car is almost seven years old and garage kept and I’m pretty sure this was the first time I’ve had time to wax it. It looks better than new now.

Did the same for my 2017 SE Odyssey this morning. Again, looks better than new. You can’t go wrong with just Turtle Wax Ice either. It was only $7 at Walmart and gets great YouTube reviews against other products.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Meguiers are the best of the consumer level brands you find in large retailers.
Those power buffers are largely not needed on modern clear coat finishes that get regular maintenance.
In the old days pre clear coat they were necessary to remove old oxidized paint. Hence the saying "thatll buff out".
People today mistake clear coat failure for oxidation.
Those polishers are real good at putting swirl marks in paint.
When you remove wax by hand with a towel or cloth, never use a circular motion. Always a straight line aligned with the long side of the panel. Why?
The sun is what shows swirly scratches. When you see them the worst is looking at the suns reflection.

The sun is, of course, round.

·
Registered
453 Posts
[QUOTE="CB750, post: 2262505, member: 979139" ]. One other hint never and I repeat never use Dawn dishwashing soap to wash your vehicle on a regular basis. It is powerful stuff that will remove any existing wax or polish that is on your vehicle. I only use it if you I want to remove all existing finishes which is a good idea when starting a wax/polish process.
[/QUOTE]
As I understand its more serious than stripping off waxes or finishes. Its such a strong degreaser it attacks the emolients and oils of the paint itself and damages it.

(Owned a 78 cb750 super sport, an 81 cb750 custom, and an 82 cb900 custom, all back in the day of course. Along with a cx500 turbo and an fj1100) all great but the cx was weird and scary. In the 70s hondas cb series were all best in class.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Thought I'd add to this thread - awhile back, I posted about Hydrosilex. Found that while it worked fairly well, the longevity was nothing to really write home about.

Started searching youtube for similar products and stumbled on a few reviews that chose - Turtle Wax Ice. Now, I grew up in the era where the original green bottle was one of the main types of 'off the shelf' waxes available. It worked okay. But it would get on the trim and didn't last all that long.

Fast forward to today, and I was surprised by the reviews (and the reviewers were surprised too). So I decided I would pick up a bottle. For the folks in the Canada, Walmart seems to be the only place that carries it. In the US, I'm sure you can pick it up anywhere. It was $14 bucks Cdn here.

First thing, it doesn't have any polishing (obviously) so gotta make sure your paint is ready. May need to do a wax coating first or some buffing.

The product is easy to apply - spray on and wipe off. But you DO have to buff a bit for max shine or it may leave bit of haze or streaks behind. Use a really clean microfibre cloth.

I've been so impressed - the beading and shine lasts a long time. I did our van in the fall last year and it lasted well into the spring before I had to redo everything. I would say it lasted easily 6 months. Very impressed considering the price point! If you want something as a top coat, give this a shot. Honestly, it has changed my impression of Turtle Wax products.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts