Honda Odyssey Forum banner

Which model year would you buy used?

9157 22
I’m new here so apologies if this isn’t the right forum for this. I currently have a 2015 CRV but am looking to trade it in for an Odyssey EX-L (just found out my wife is expecting our third so we need more space). My budget is in the $25-30k range which can get me something between a 2016 and maybe 2019 depending on the mileage. I’d prefer to find one with low mileage, like under 35k. I like the look of the new 2018+ models but have read a lot of complaints about the 9-speed tranny as well as the electronics having issues. The previous generation seems to be more bullet proof and proven in reliability. I know there are a bunch of factors to consider, but generally speaking, which would be a safer bet as a used car?
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
39 Posts
I've had a 2013, 2015, 2017, and 2019.

If I had it to do over again knowing what I know now, I'd get the 2017 back in a heartbeat. While CarPlay is nice in the 2019, there were major issues (search for crackles and my username) that needed some hefty surgery to repair on this van. When this lease is up, there's no way I'm keeping this 2019 - yet to be determined if I even do another Honda. The 9-speed may as well be an 8-speed, first gear is useless except for burnouts from a dead stop. It's also a pain in the butt when departing an automatic car wash because you have to hit the brake to shift from neutral back in to drive - almost caused an issue the first time I took the 2019 through the tunnel. To top it off, there's no more Coolbox, the rear AC uses the front blower fan so it's very loud at times, and I'm just waiting for the next electrical gremlin to poke its head.

So as long as you don't need the looks of the 2018+, my vote would be for a highly-optioned 2017.

· Registered
2017 Honda Odyssey EX-L
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've had a 2013, 2015, 2017, and 2019.

If I had it to do over again knowing what I know now, I'd get the 2017 back in a heartbeat. While CarPlay is nice in the 2019, there were major issues (search for crackles and my username) that needed some hefty surgery to repair on this van. When this lease is up, there's no way I'm keeping this 2019 - yet to be determined if I even do another Honda. The 9-speed may as well be an 8-speed, first gear is useless except for burnouts from a dead stop. It's also a pain in the butt when departing an automatic car wash because you have to hit the brake to shift from neutral back in to drive - almost caused an issue the first time I took the 2019 through the tunnel. To top it off, there's no more Coolbox, the rear AC uses the front blower fan so it's very loud at times, and I'm just waiting for the next electrical gremlin to poke its head.

So as long as you don't need the looks of the 2018+, my vote would be for a highly-optioned 2017.
This is exactly the perspective I was hoping for, thank you! I agree that while all of the new bells and whistles on the new generation can be great, it also opens up the door for more issues.

· Registered
2007 Odyssey EX-L
2,014 Posts
You are spot-on that the 2018+ generation has had more than its share of issues given how new the vans are. If I was buying used, I would avoid the current generation, unless you wanted to get a new 2020 or 2021 with the 10 speed automatic. The 10 speed was only in Touring and Elite trims for 2018-2019, which are pricey on the used market. Besides the transmission, though, there have also been other tech complaints regarding AC, infotainment, etc.

I don't believe there were any major changes between 2014-2017. Those are all good years to choose from. This would be my preference if I was buying used.

Just a thought... if the features of the EX-L model are not a must-have for you, it might not be a bad idea to buy a new LX or EX model. For example, if you wanted forward collision warning in 2014-2017, you had to get the EX-L. Starting in 2021, the entire suite of Honda Sensing is standard on the LX model as well. You should be able to negotiate a brand new 2021 LX for about $30K, possibly even less. With the 2021 models hitting dealerships, you might be able to find a 2020 EX at a good price as well (which also comes with Honda Sensing and the 10 speed auto). You do tend to get more value for the money when buying a higher-trim model used, but there's also something to be said about being the first owner of your car where you know the accident and maintenance history.

· Registered
45 Posts
If you are leaning towards the new route, I got a new 2020 EX at the end of July for $30,504 base price(before any dealer add ons, fees, tax/registration, etc). They were trying to get rid of the 2020s then, by now I'd assume they would really be trying to get rid of any left. 0.9% was continued for up to 60 months through early November on 2020 Odysseys.

Personally I'd stay away from the LX, just too basic: no Honda Sensing, no remote key, no display audio, no sliding 2nd row seats, and the list goes on. Too many omissions. There seem to be more issues with the EX-L/NAV/RES and up. I think EX or EX-L is the sweet spot.

· Registered
2023 Honda Odyssey Sport - Black/Black
1,567 Posts
If you're set on EX-L, I'd go with 2020 as it will come with 10 speed transmission. 2018-2019 still have the problematic 9 speed.

· Registered
1,115 Posts
I thought I saw this question a few weeks ago as well. If I were to buy again, I would not buy 2018+ odyssey 10 speed, too may issues, taking too much time to get all the recalls done etc.

Door hinges, door cable, camera software update that requires the camera to
Be removed, cluster gauge software update that requires the cluster to be removed, wiring harness check/repai for the rear power outlet, and now the sliding doors rubbing with body and Honda is silent on what they are actually going to Do to fix the root cause.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
2017 Honda Odyssey EX-L
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you are leaning towards the new route, I got a new 2020 EX at the end of July for $30,504 base price(before any dealer add ons, fees, tax/registration, etc). They were trying to get rid of the 2020s then, by now I'd assume they would really be trying to get rid of any left. 0.9% was continued for up to 60 months through early November on 2020 Odysseys.

Personally I'd stay away from the LX, just too basic: no Honda Sensing, no remote key, no display audio, no sliding 2nd row seats, and the list goes on. Too many omissions. There seem to be more issues with the EX-L/NAV/RES and up. I think EX or EX-L is the sweet spot.
That's not bad. My wife has very little specifics she wants in a van, but the ones she has are all in the EX-L so I guess that's where we're going. Would love to get a good deal on 2020 EX-L but think it may be a bit too far out of budget.

· Registered
2020 Elite | Platinum White Pearl | J35Y6
649 Posts
I just found a previously leased 2017 Certified EX-L with 30k miles for $26,500. Seems like a pretty good deal. I'm planning to go check it out this afternoon.
Very nice. A lot of what I was going to say has been said already by the fellow members... I'll just add that if budget allows, going with a lower mileage van would be beneficial with getting an extended warranty coverage if you're wanting to cover the items that are known to be problematic.

I was also going to suggest looking at going with a newer van as you could likely get a 2020 for a great deal right now.

Congrats on your third!

Reactions: TriDad2388

· Registered
2023 Honda Odyssey Sport - Black/Black
1,567 Posts
I would not recommend getting Odyssey at all TBH. If looks and handling don't matter I would get a Sienna. Honda quality is not what it used to be. Across all models.
What other options do we really have? Kia and Chrysler products? :sneaky:🤔

· Registered
649 Posts
I would not recommend getting Odyssey at all TBH. If looks and handling don't matter I would get a Sienna. Honda quality is not what it used to be. Across all models.
There's truth to that statement whether people are in denial about it or not. At the same time a well maintained car that comes from the worst of the bunch could last a good while just fine if care is taken. If reliability is all someone is after in the semi-newer years the sienna would make a fine choice.

What other options do we really have? Kia and Chrysler products? :sneaky:🤔
The choices are slim in this segment, but depending on what the buyer is after if looks isn't a top priority, the Ody really struggles in a lot of the categories.

In my opinion with the current Gen:

Looks: Ody, Sedona, Sienna, Pacifica
Reliability: Sedona, Sienna, Ody, Pacifica
Transmission: Sienna/Sedona (tied, both excellent), Ody (10 speed - very good so far), Pacifica, Ody (9 speed)
Build Quality: Sedona, Sienna, Pacifica/Ody (toss up)
Material Quality: Ody, Sedona, Pacifica, Sienna.
Tolerance Levels / Fit and Finish: Sedona, Sienna, Pacifica/Ody (toss up)

Come 2022 (models)...A lot will change... a lot yet to be seen, but...

Looks: Sienna (sporty van) and Sedona (SUV/MPV van) are the ones to look out for.

My general rule of thumb with honda:

If you're keeping it past the 3yr/36k then get an extended warranty for the peace of mind, because there's a high probability of something breaking / malfunctioning. In the 18+ Ody's the infotainment center seems like it'll get pretty spotty after a lot of use. It's just not well put together and that screen surface is really soft. The poor fitment quality will start separating around the trims and let dust/dirt in after it ages a bit. A lot has yet to be determined, but the 'build quality-fit and finish' sucks on the Ody's relative to what it was before and what's out there... sure they're using good materials, but using good materials doesn't make up for poor workmanship. It's a band-aid. - I still like my Ody though...

If you cycle through cars every 2-3 years, then just enjoy it... simple as that.

If you want to push your luck and ride it out for 5+ years without any warranty, best of luck... It's possible, but knowing what we know on how crap honda has become in a lot of areas I'd rather not take my chances, but that's just my opinion.

To each their own.

No options really . It is either Odyssey or Sienna. I have been a Honda fan for many years. Not anymore .
The game has changed my friend. Dramatically. It's not the 90's or early 2000's anymore. I used to be really big into the track scene, great times.. wouldn't trade it for anything. I've owned numerous hondas and acuras throughout the years, so many that I can't even recall the exact number of how many cars I've cycled through. Engine swaps, custom manifolds, slicks, ECU tuning to pretty much anything related to the track life, that was me... truck + trailer and all.

I know what we're talking about here are family non-track ready vehicles, but to your point hondas are definitively not what they used to be and that is a fact, not an opinion. The decline in quality is steep just within the last decade, while others have caught up drastically.

It's a whole new ball game and it's about to get even crazier in the auto scene. Pretty exciting if you ask me...

· Registered
244 Posts
I just found a previously leased 2017 Certified EX-L with 30k miles for $26,500. Seems like a pretty good deal. I'm planning to go check it out this afternoon.
So how was the CPO?

I'd avoid any Chrysler products like the plague, sorry. So that leaves the Kia, Honda, or Toyota. All new vans MSRP over 30K.

Keep in mind, there are 2020's out there and if you have a Honda, ex-military, or recent college grad, there are incentives and given the 2021's are out now, you should be able to find a dealer eager to sell.

FWIW, based on Consumers Report, the 2016 has better reliability than the 2017s...

· Registered
649 Posts
So how was the CPO?

I'd avoid any Chrysler products like the plague, sorry. So that leaves the Kia, Honda, or Toyota. All new vans MSRP over 30K.

Keep in mind, there are 2020's out there and if you have a Honda, ex-military, or recent college grad, there are incentives and given the 2021's are out now, you should be able to find a dealer eager to sell.

FWIW, based on Consumers Report, the 2016 has better reliability than the 2017s...
I'm curious about the CPO as well. Most CPO's come with a pretty solid warranty attached to it from the dealership, which is a perk.

I agree, avoid Chrysler more than Covid. It's just simply not well made. The interior material quality is decent, but beyond that it's a rental car wearing cashmere. I've driven several of the newer Pacificas and to me it just doesn't seem refined at all. I know two people who have the Pacificas, one with them being the plug in hybrid. The 3.6L V6 is decent, but again not refined and I've noticed that with the plug in hybrid model the integration is really clunky. It just 'ain't' right you know? They've made some improvements from the horrific vans before, but it still has a long way to go.

If one is just focused on getting all the bells and whistles for the money, nothing can touch the current KIA Sedona SX-L ... Safety suite galore, Top Safety Pick like the Ody, 360 Surround Sound Camera!, Blind spot monitors, LKA, Heated and Cooled seats, Sunroof, Leather, Bullet Proof V6 Engine, Excellent 8-Speed Transmission, Reliability rated better than the Ody by a lot etc... and if bought new you're driving worry free for 10 years / 100K. Again, for the money nothing can touch it. (Interesting note: There's a KIA dealership that offers 20 years / 200K on every new KIA vehicles w/ oil changes and car washes for life. - Just saying... for the money... yyyeahh.)

The 2021's are hitting the dealerships so right now is a great time to land a deal on a 2020... I've been keeping an eye on the 'prices paid' threads and it's nice to see people taking advantage of the 2020's with great deals...

· Registered
'08 EX-L
282 Posts
I'm curious about the CPO as well. Most CPO's come with a pretty solid warranty attached to it from the dealership, which is a perk.

I agree, avoid Chrysler more than Covid. It's just simply not well made. The interior material quality is decent, but beyond that it's a rental car wearing cashmere. I've driven several of the newer Pacificas and to me it just doesn't seem refined at all. I know two people who have the Pacificas, one with them being the plug in hybrid. The 3.6L V6 is decent, but again not refined and I've noticed that with the plug in hybrid model the integration is really clunky. It just 'ain't' right you know? They've made some improvements from the horrific vans before, but it still has a long way to go.

If one is just focused on getting all the bells and whistles for the money, nothing can touch the current KIA Sedona SX-L ... Safety suite galore, Top Safety Pick like the Ody, 360 Surround Sound Camera!, Blind spot monitors, LKA, Heated and Cooled seats, Sunroof, Leather, Bullet Proof V6 Engine, Excellent 8-Speed Transmission, Reliability rated better than the Ody by a lot etc... and if bought new you're driving worry free for 10 years / 100K. Again, for the money nothing can touch it. (Interesting note: There's a KIA dealership that offers 20 years / 200K on every new KIA vehicles w/ oil changes and car washes for life. - Just saying... for the money... yyyeahh.)

The 2021's are hitting the dealerships so right now is a great time to land a deal on a 2020... I've been keeping an eye on the 'prices paid' threads and it's nice to see people taking advantage of the 2020's with great deals...
Pretty sure that KIA dealerships plans to liquidate soon. LOL.

· Registered
2017 Honda Odyssey EX-L
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So how was the CPO?

It was in GREAT condition! Showed up to a mechanic for a PPI and the guy immediately asked me if it was a new car. He was surprised the great condition it was in, even though it’s a 3 year old car. He said everything looked perfect, new brakes, new tires, all fluids clean and full, no issues at all.

I felt really comfortable with it, it drove well and has enough technology for us (honestly my wife won’t bother using 50% of it - she doesn’t bother to learn how to use most of the bells and whistles). This is one of the main reasons I decided against a 2018+ even though getting a used 2018 or 2019 wasn’t that much more than this 2017. It did come with a powertrain warranty of 7 years/100k miles and a nonpower train for 1 year/12k miles as a certified, plus 2 free oil changes from the dealership. I went ahead and added the service contract which covers the entire vehicle up to 105k miles, mostly because I’ve heard Honda’s are notorious for having AC issues and to cover anything else like the sliding doors malfunctioning, cameras not working, etc. I debated passing on that to save $2k but felt it will be worth it over the next 75k miles.

My kids love it! They woke up this morning and asked if they could go play in the minivan and my wife is really pleased with it.

Summary: Purchased a CPO EX-L for $26,000 plus $2,000 for the service contract. Warranty covers the entire vehicle up to 105,000 miles. This is a vehicle we plan to keep for 5-10 years, and I feel pretty confident we should have no problem with that.

Thanks everyone for your input and suggestions! This is a great forum.

· Registered
649 Posts
Pretty sure that KIA dealerships plans to liquidate soon. LOL.
Haha that would be one heck of a strategy lol. It's still better than hondas crap 3yr/36k, either way. They've been there for ages and it's a high volume dealership so they'll likely be around for a long time. KIA is going full throttle moving forward with EV vehicles in their line ups and they'll definitely be class leading here really shortly with EV's... there's a lot of things cooking behind the scenes that they'll launch at the same time to be one of the few, if not only aside to Hyundai to have the most EV's in its line up. With all that said, I'm curious to see how varies dealerships evolve with accommodating EV's in the next few years...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.