Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I appreciate all of the help with my first post. We are looking between two different vans at the moment. Below are what we have along with the price (I know more about the 2014 at the moment). They both seem to KBB about the same.

2015, EX-L w/Nav, 79,000 miles for $18,988, 1 owner, clean carfax

2014, Touring, 81,000 miles for $18,350-brand new tires, brakes and rotors, clean carfax, 1 owner

First, is there a major difference between the touring and the EX-L trim levels?

Second, are there any major differences between 2014 and 2015 models that I should know about?

We are leaning toward the 2014 at the current moment

Thanks again!!!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Assuming all other things are equal with prior ownership treatment, go with the '14 Touring. I don't know the specific options differences, but the touring is more well appointed. Mechanically, the years are very similar, negligible differences if any. The mid-gen update for the '14 model year and later corrected a number of issues in the earlier half of the generation.

Full disclosure, I have a '14 touring elite with 100K miles. Two oil pressure sensors have failed and the EGR valve has required replacement, those are the only issues. I just put a vcm disabling device on a couple of months ago to stave off any future issues, but no vcm issues to date.

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
776 Posts
No significant differences between '14-'17 model years.

Touring adds over EX-L Nav:
  • Front and rear parking sensors
  • Driver's power memory seat/mirrors
  • Rear entertainment system w/ rear 120V power outlet
  • Fog lights and mirror turn signals
And probably a couple other things I missed...

-Charlie

Reactions: Shawn D

·
Registered
4,893 Posts

2014, Touring, 81,000 miles for $18,350-brand new tires, brakes and rotors, clean carfax, 1 owner
Touring is the best choice.
No changes in 14-17.

·
Registered
98 Posts
2015 has very minor changes: slightly redesigned brake rotors and Slightly redesigned front strut position angle. (I have a 2015). With that said, I would go with which van is in better shape (body, interior, how new tires) as they get pretty neat up. The parking sensors would be really nice to have since the van is pretty long and easy to bump into something backing up

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
776 Posts
The parking sensors would be really nice to have since the van is pretty long and easy to bump into something backing up
That's what the back up camera is for! The front parking sensors, on the other hand are very nice!

-Charlie

·
Registered
2015 Odyssey EX
2,050 Posts
That's what the back up camera is for! The front parking sensors, on the other hand are very nice!

-Charlie
I've always thought that back up sensors were redundant on a vehicle that has a rear view camera. If a car maker wanted to save a few pennies (and who doesn't), why wouldn't they delete the back up sensors when a camera goes in?

Our 2015 EX has a rear view camera, and I can honestly say that neither my wife nor I have ever wished that we had something beeping at us as we backed up in addition to seeing exactly what was there on a nice big display screen in the middle of the dashboard. But we have wondered just how close we were to something in front of us - the front sensors would definitely be a nice-to-have.

If I ever end up with a little more money than I know what to do with, I'd add a front camera to our van and patch it through to the big upper screen with a NavTool. It wouldn't quite be a 360-degree view, but it would be much nicer than using the force to know when to stop in a parking lot.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I’d try to find something with lower mileage, say 36,000. That way you can muzzle the VCM and address the transmission fluid and feel much more confident that you can expect a long, relatively trouble-free ownership. Yes, you could get lucky with the vans you are considering, but could just as easily be in for some expensive repairs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
98 Posts
Ya I hear ya but with little kids and being exhausted, I’ve backed into something without this warning sensors. Coming from big Motorsports guy before

·
Registered
1 Posts
I appreciate all of the help with my first post. We are looking between two different vans at the moment. Below are what we have along with the price (I know more about the 2014 at the moment). They both seem to KBB about the same.

First, is there a major difference between the touring and the EX-L trim levels?

Second, are there any major differences between 2014 and 2015 models that I should know about?

We are leaning toward the 2014 at the current moment

Thanks again!!!
Personally I like the extras that come with the Touring model. The Rear entertainment keeps the kids happy. I don't think I would get another Odyssey until they come up with better sliding door cables. One snapped last year and the other just snapped last week.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Why did Andrew say: "If white, watch out"?
We bought a used 2015 Touring in white. Two main reasons for the touring model was that it was easier to enter and exit from that a Ex-L. It does use a larger diameter tire, so that does not make much sense, but that is the way it is. The second reason was, that it was there when we were looking.
No kids, so the entertainment features are not important to us.
No real problems so far, but drivers side sliding door stopped responding when low temperatures first hit this year in Florida (Yeah - all the way down to the 40's). We also recently put a VCM disabling device on a couple of months ago to stave off any future issues.
CroMath mentioned beeping as you back up - this can be a real nuisance when pulling a trailer. The camera has earned my attention; I usually only use it when backing.
You will probably be happy with either year.

·
Registered
14,109 Posts
There are white ones with paint peeling along the sunroof.
I don't understand how a Touring would be easier to get in and out of compared to an EX-L. Can you explain?

I do wish Honda would offer, perhaps as an Acura, a Touring level van without the rear entertainment. I would like the seat/mirror memory and the Elite sound system in a van for my wife & I to travel in. My wife has an Acura RDX with the Tech package and it has both. But we miss having the space of the van when camping for instance.

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
776 Posts
It does use a larger diameter tire, so that does not make much sense, but that is the way it is.
The tires have the same diameter between the two trims. The wheels are 1" bigger, but the tires are lower profile to make up for it.

There is no reason for a Touring to be easier to get in/out of than an EX-L unless you are talking about the driver's power memory seat that adjusts itself based on which key is used to open the driver's door. All other seats/openings are the same...

-Charlie

·
Registered
46 Posts
FYI, parking sensors can be disabled with a button on a Touring. It will disable both sides though but will address "nuisance" factor if you are towing a trailer.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts