1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
I'd also like to know. Keeps that honeymoon phase going. lol

·
Premium Member
1,199 Posts
Hi, what do you guys use to keep your Ody smelling new? I've looked online and found there's a brand called Chemical Guys. Here's a link to the item:

http://www.chemicalguys.com/New_Car_Smell_Premium_Air_Freshener_16_oz_p/air_101_16.htm

What else is out there that some of you can recommend?

Thanks!
Chemical Guys New Car smell Premium Air Freshener had to be the worst product I have tried from Chemical Guys.First off it smells like a tar based product similar to what you would have from having you ODY rustproofed, like Ziebart uses. Nothing worse than loosing what remained of the new car smell. I was lucky, I pulled out my 2nd row floor mat and sprayed... I could not believe they sold this, so I immediately washed the mat clean with simple green to get the smell off. Sent a email to Chemical Guys for a refund , and they did refund it.

Only use Air Freshener in vent now (Febreze).

·
Registered
11 Posts
“That New Car Smell is cancer” I was told by someone in the automotive industry years ago.... outgassing plastics. You want to get rid of it as soon as possible. Sounds a bit alarmist but I think it’s probably true.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Yeah I tried the Chemical guys "New Car Smell" incredibly strong odor and lasted for days, nothing like a new car smell at all? And not pleasant.
However, the Chemical guys leather smell although I don't think it mimics a leather smell particularly well, it somewhat does and although I didn't like it at first maybe because it wasn't leathery, but it does make the car smell kind of new smelling, it's not too strong and I think most folks will like it.
My car flooded and after the vacuuming and several days with a dehumidifier inside with windows closed, I got all moisture out and never experienced that "Damp" odor at all, I sprayed the "leather smell" around and asked several people to smell my ody to see if my nose wasn't detecting any damp smells, they All remarked no damp smell, it just smells like a new car.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Lol, I’ve heard that used car dealers use embalming fluid to recreate that new car smell. A quick search reveals that smell may be due to outgassing of various things like formaldehyde...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Lol, I’ve heard that used car dealers use embalming fluid to recreate that new car smell. A quick search reveals that smell may be due to outgassing of various things like formaldehyde...

Such nonsense! If you tried right now I bet you couldn't find a place to buy it.

·
Registered
2017 EX
96 Posts
Yeah, it's the plasticizers and other VOC's evaporating from all the plastics in your car. Jury's still out on how damaging they are to one's health, but I would suspect the effect is not measurable for the "average" consumer.

Not everyone likes it. Ford apparently thinks it's enough of a problem in China to throw research dollars at finding a good way to eliminate it:

·
Registered
3 Posts
This is what I do in my 2020 Hyundai Sonata:

1. I never eat in it.
2. I never have any type of beverage, besides water, in it.
3. I switch shoes when I get inside the car. So the floor mats actually never get dirty. They are then placed in an airtight bag.
4. I have a seat cover over the driver's seat. So any soil from my body never touches the actual seat.

Even though the new car smell is gone, the car never has any foul odor. Yea, I kno. Its a little bit out of the ordinary but I believe thorough care of a new vehicle is always a good thing. It also keeps depreciation very low. :)

Just wait until you hear what I do for the exterior.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Was keeping my wife company in the mall this weekend and noticed that Yankee Candle had a car scent product labeled as new car smell. Looked like a mini candle to hang on the rearview mirror.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I used to receive free Macy's magazines with sample perfume sheets in it. I took them off and left it inside the car. The good smell would last a week or two. I don't care what type of perfume they were it was better than without.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts