Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I had my first oil change done the repair place put in 5w20, he said that that was what Honda said to put in. Which type of oil should be put in it?

·
Registered
35 Posts
If you search you will find there is always a debate over this topic. 5w20 vs 5w30.

I run 5w30 in mine as it's much easier to come by. My other car (2007 Ford Mustang) also calls for 5w20, but I run 5w30 in that as well.

The whole 5w20 thing came about when the CAFE (Corporate Average Fuel Economy) standards got strict. 5w20 is an easy way for the auto manufactures to squeeze out a few extra MPGs without doing anything else to the motor. And if they are run 5w20 during the tests for CAFE, they have to call for it in their owners manuals.

Here's a quick article on this subject:
http://bestsyntheticoil.com/info/5w20-cafe.shtml

-jeff

·
Super Moderator
13,640 Posts
How about searching? The topic has been beat to death several times over before. One of those old threads should remove all your confusions.

·
Registered
539 Posts
And if you REALLY want to spend the rest of your life reading about oils, check out: bobistheoilguy

In general, thinner oils are more suited for really low temperature use, do give better fuel economy, but may result in slightly less engine life (opinion).

If you can't make up your mind, make up your own hybrid oil with half 5w-20 and 5w-30 (perfectly compatible, won't hurt a thing)! :D

·
Registered
463 Posts
Our 2004 had 5w20 written on the oil cap and in the manual. Wouldn't that be the best weight to use? I guess it is what the engineers had in mind.

·
Super Moderator
13,640 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
How about searching? The topic has been beat to death several times over before. One of those old threads should remove all your confusions.
:stupid:
where can I find a thread where a moderator can answer any question with Rtfm/ search/ google it?

I use 5-30w bc that is what the designers originally recommended. At least they do in Japan.
I run mobil one w oem Honda filter. The oem filter seems awfully tiny for the engine however.

·
Super Moderator
13,640 Posts
:stupid:
where can I find a thread where a moderator can answer any question with Rtfm/ search/ google it?
They exist. Did you try searching? :D

·
Registered
114 Posts
When I had my first oil change done the repair place put in 5w20, he said that that was what Honda said to put in. Which type of oil should be put in it?
Usually the oil filler hole cap will say. I have a 2000 and it is 5W-30. Since you do not have a manual, you can call your local dealer and they will tell you over the phone.

·
Registered
7,516 Posts
Did you see the Stickys at the top of this forum? (1999-2004 Odyssey).

Lots of good stuff, including how to get information from the online manual.

OF

1 - 12 of 12 Posts