Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the years I've watch my 04 Accord wheels go to hell, starting with the factory use of clip on wheel weights damaging the clear coat, and allowing corrosion to begin. Shops continue the use of the clip on style because thats what Honda uses, but over time and more weights being taken off and put back on...the wheels are AWEFUL.

I saw the same thing happening to our 2004 CR-V, but we sold that.

And now the Ody is bound to the same problem. So why is Honda using clip on weights? Does anyone have wheels with non-OEM tires using stick on weights? Did you have to ask for them???

·
Registered
513 Posts
What year do you have? My 07 EX-L wheels use stick on weights, and I don't think the clip ons would fit.

Can you ask them to use stick ons?

Nicolas

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I have a '06 EXL and I have the stick on weights. The factory 5 spoke split wheel doesn't have a rim on the outside of the wheel to accept the standard clip on weights.

·
Registered
7,917 Posts
Clip on. Never occurred for me to ask for adhesive flat weights.

Then again, we don't have much in the way of road salt usage down here in SW OK, though. Wheels still look okay on our 2002 EX and 2003 EX.

OF

·
Super Moderator
13,931 Posts
You can ask your tire place to NOT use the clip-on weights. I have asked for that before and they have complied with a smile.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The picture is of my 2004 Accord with nearly 100k miles.

Sams club is the ONLY place that has ever touched my wheels beside me, and they dont offer stick on. They claim there is a liability issue when/if they fly off. They had too many problems with them, and that story matches a few shops I called. But most shops would use the stick on weights if requested or if the rim would not accept clip ons. Some dont have a lip to use the clip on weights.

Our 09 EX-L definitely has clip ons. And looking around in our lot at work yesterday I could not find a Honda that uses stick ons. In fact only 3 out of 40+ cars/trucks/vans we found were using stick on weights. Those that had stick ons were 2 Lexas and one Mazda 6 with 19" wheels.

I got another reply elsewhere that said that clip on weights are most widely used, but on Aluminum wheels they should be nylon coated and applied with a non-metallic hammer. I know for a fact Sams was using a ball peen hammer, and the weights are not nylon coated.

Honda OEM clip on weights on the Ody do appear to be coated.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

I found this in every one of 3 owners manuals I have access to.

My dealer has given me one, but I have no specifics on it. It is plastic coated for sure...but also a very different shape.

There's a lot more to these "simple" wheel weights than I ever imagined. Those getting new tires...proper weights (and install) is not something to ignore, unless you dont care about your wheels corroding!

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The link below charts all the different weights for given OEM wheels.

http://www.plombco.com/files/media/Plombco-Application_Chart-2009.pdf

Regarding stick on weights...at first it made sense to demand their use. But having done my rear brakes this weekend and looking at the inside of the wheels, there is no way weights would stick over 12 months of road He...L...L. They are extremely dirty, heavily oxidized and pitted. The tech would need to do a lot of prep work to properly get the weights to adhere. There are areas on the clear coated areas for weights, but not many and they aren’t suppose to go on the outside! So I could see techs having a heck of a time using stick-ons with these wheels. I won’t be using stick-ons. Not with these wheels.

IMO, the tech should be using the clip ons when the rim is made for them, but I learned now they have to use the proper weight or long term cosmetic damage is done.

I stopped into Sams club Friday after work and spoke with the store manager. I brought him a bunch of documentation (including the print out of the above PDF) and also a proper wheel weight example from the dealer. There was no disputing they used the wrong weights and the old ones promoted heavy cosmetic damage. He store manager became very receptive and even thankful! (Sounded like he has dealt with this before but never knew details of the real cause) He took his own pictures and is filing an insurance claim for new wheels. This will get interesting.

(Remember this is on my Accord...I'm am posting here because the Ody uses the same weights as the Accord and depending who does your tires they could be using the wrong ones and cause long term damage. Call this a FYI and Prevention post)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts