Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noticed a whine when started out on our 200 mile round-trip to basketball game tonight. When pulling into parking lot, steering wheel went tight. I said the whine must be the power steering - again! Had the PS replaced about a year ago (2006 w/ 75K miles) but need to check what the dealer replaced.

However, here is the crazy and scary when 10:30 pm on cold rainy midwestern night 100 miles from home. When sitting in traffic when leaving game battery light comes on (whine still going). Then VSA and seatbelt lights come on a few minutes later. After a few minutes we pull out of lot which the van jolts forward when first hitting accelerator. The VSA and searbelt lights turn off, battery light on. After about 10 minutes of stop and go and the van feeling sluggish, we hit a 10 block run of driving the battery light turns off. But when we stop at stoplights, the van jolts forward when taking off and battery light comes on while waiting (unless we unplug radar detector).

Thankfully, van survives 100 mile trip home whining all the way.

Thoughts, anybody, why the battery light, VSA, and seatbelt light if it is a PS issue?

TIA

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone think it is the drive belt that needs replaced?

·
Registered
6,076 Posts
I think you should have the charging system checked out and in particular, the alternator.

·
Registered
297 Posts
My wife experienced this today. The van started to shake and sputter and the instrument lights all turned on, which freaked her out. She limped into a parking lot and was safe. This sucks cuz she's 32 weeks pregnant and she didn't need that kind of stress.

Took the battery out, it was dead. Bought a new batter then took the van to AutoZone to do a diagnostic and it's producing 12.5V; it should be 14V. Looks like my alternator has gone bad. In the morning, I hear a loud whir until the van warms up, then it goes away. My wife says she's been hearing it for some time now.:mad: I wish she would have told me sooner so it's gonna cost me $167.00 to buy a new replacement from AutoZone but at least it has a lifetime warranty. Hopefully this solves the problem.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts