Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car started making a whining sound about a month ago. At first I thought it was my transmission but after I took it to a mechanic they said the sound is coming from the drive belt.

At first the mechanic said it was the idler pulleys as when he removed the belt, the whine went away. After bringing the idler pulleys, he checked again and said that the idler pulleys were ok and that it’s the pulley from the ac compressor.

Is it worth it to install a new ac compressor for this whine to go away or Is it possible to replace the pulley on the ac compressor.

The ac compressor works, cold air blows into my cabin and it doesn’t grind. It just makes the whine when the car is on and accelerating

·
Registered
797 Posts
is it actual compressor or just the pully? (Maybe bearing on the pully is bad. If so, it isn't difficult to swap out the ac pully (and probably clutch as well).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
is it actual compressor or just the pully? (Maybe bearing on the pully is bad. If so, it isn't difficult to swap out the ac pully (and probably clutch as well).
The pulley, the compressor itself works and blows cold air. How would I go about changing the pulley/bearing or clutch

·
Registered
797 Posts
The pulley, the compressor itself works and blows cold air. How would I go about changing the pulley/bearing or clutch

·
Registered
797 Posts
OEM clutch set (including pully) is just about $200 (parts only). (Quite expensive - from hondapartsnow.com).

You can get the clutch set from ebay for around $30-60 (most likely will come with stator as well). I do not know their longevity BUT the way I see it is that your compressor is already 11-15 yrs old (I do not know which year your van is since you did not mention it) so there is a good chance that even if the ebay clutch set lasts only couple of years, most likely your compressor may go before hands and you will need to replace the whole thing anyways.

You can take the pully out and replace the bearing on it and put it back. (This may be more effort than necessary but I have seen bearing replacement so maybe it is a thing- may be higher quality bearing than the ones that come with ebay special).

ANOTHER option, if you want to go with "OEM" like quality and you plan to keep your car for a while, then get the new Denso compressor from rock auto for like $230 or so, take the pully and clutch out of it and install it on the current compressor. If compressor goes in next couple of years, you will already have a brand new compressor where you have to move the pully/clutch over and use.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Does it sound like like this?

I had this sound (video above) on my 2008 and it was my alternator. Replaced the alternator and sound went away. While there, also changed the belt.

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
204 Posts
It's the compressor pulley for sure? I was always a fan of the rubber hose/mechanics stethoscope method.

The eBay clutch kits, while they do work, are reputed to have less pulley bearing life than an OEM pulley. I've read stories where they only lasted a year or two. I wouldn't open a working A/C system for a pulley alone.

·
Registered
797 Posts
It's the compressor pulley for sure? I was always a fan of the rubber hose/mechanics stethoscope method.

The eBay clutch kits, while they do work, are reputed to have less pulley bearing life than an OEM pulley. I've read stories where they only lasted a year or two. I wouldn't open a working A/C system for a pulley alone.
replacing clutch/pully does not require opening A/C system though. Only take belt off, 10mm bolt to take the clutch off, 1 easier to remove cert clip (easier than stator clip), take the pully out, and put a new pully in and new clutch on.

·
Registered
204 Posts
replacing clutch/pully does not require opening A/C system though. Only take belt off, 10mm bolt to take the clutch off, 1 easier to remove cert clip (easier than stator clip), take the pully out, and put a new pully in and new clutch on.
Exactly. My opinion is replace the pulley bearing or the entire pulley, whichever method you prefer, but not the compressor.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

I had this sound (video above) on my 2008 and it was my alternator. Replaced the alternator and sound went away. While there, also changed the belt.

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk
It sounds a little different from that whine, I’ve changed my alternater about 3 times but I don’t remember it making that sound before

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

The mechanic thought it was the pulley on the idler pulley and the pulley on the tensioner but after one of his worker took it out, the pulleys were fine.
They then took the belt off, started the car and checked which pulley wasn’t spinning (I’m assuming the sound is a pulley not spinning or loose) the mechanic came to the conclusion that it’s the pulley on the ac compressor that is causing the whine

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OEM clutch set (including pully) is just about $200 (parts only). (Quite expensive - from hondapartsnow.com).

You can get the clutch set from ebay for around $30-60 (most likely will come with stator as well). I do not know their longevity BUT the way I see it is that your compressor is already 11-15 yrs old (I do not know which year your van is since you did not mention it) so there is a good chance that even if the ebay clutch set lasts only couple of years, most likely your compressor may go before hands and you will need to replace the whole thing anyways.

You can take the pully out and replace the bearing on it and put it back. (This may be more effort than necessary but I have seen bearing replacement so maybe it is a thing- may be higher quality bearing than the ones that come with ebay special).

ANOTHER option, if you want to go with "OEM" like quality and you plan to keep your car for a while, then get the new Denso compressor from rock auto for like $230 or so, take the pully and clutch out of it and install it on the current compressor. If compressor goes in next couple of years, you will already have a brand new compressor where you have to move the pully/clutch over and use.

It sounds exactly like this @1:11

·
Registered
204 Posts
They removed the tensioner and then changed their mind? Why didn't they diagnose first? How then did they diagnose the compressor pulley? Are they sure? Sounds strange to me but I'm also no mechanic.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
They removed the tensioner and then changed their mind? Why didn't they diagnose first? How then did they diagnose the compressor pulley? Are they sure? Sounds strange to me but I'm also no mechanic.
They lifted my car, had one guy start the car, the main mechanic checked what spun and what didn’t. They came to the conclusion that it was my ac pulley.
The guy that started the car took the tensioner out and said the bearings on the pulleys weren’t bad
Then again I’m not sure myself, I might buy a stethoscope and see if I can pinpoint the sound myself

1 - 14 of 14 Posts