Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 Honda Odyssey EX-L, recently had to change the alternator and serpentine belt, but, while the van is running, it's making a whining sound like around the power steering pump and the timing belt, & my van seems to accelerate more if the a/c is on. The van has 173, 568 miles on it & doesn't have any check engine lights on. Does anyone have an idea what I need to do?

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Does it make the noise while parked in your driveway with the engine idling? Revving?

If it does make noise while parked, that would rule out differential (part of the transaxle), CV joints, and much of the transmission (part of the transaxle).

If it makes noise while parked, a conclusive test is to remove the drive belt (serpentine belt) and see if the noise is still there. If the noise is still there while parked, and with no drive belt installed, that rules out the alternator, drive belt tensioner, AC.

I don't know if your year ran the power steering pump off the drive belt, or with its own PS belt, but that's another easy test to do.

Another general method to isolate noises is to use a mechanic's stethoscope or a long screwdriver. If trying either of those, be very careful about moving pulleys / belts / etc. Can be very dangerous.

In general, tracking down noises like this can be surprisingly difficult, so be prepared to do some careful tests.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes it still makes the noise while it's in park. Thank you for that info, I'm going to try doing what you said.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Did it make any whining noises before the belt and alternator were changed? Did you change the serpentine belt tensioner as well?

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Good info that the noise is there while parked in your driveway, idling.

Another very easy test you can do before taking anything off is to just get a hose and spray some water on the drive belt while it's running. If you've got a belt-related issue (belt problem, pulley problem, tensioner problem) the noise may instantly go away when the water hits it, since the water will provide a little lubrication. That would help narrow down the problem, but there would still be a lot of things it could be.

Another low-effort test you can do is to very closely observe the drive belt running on each of the pulleys - look for any movement. Ideally there would be no movement at all, but you may notice some movement, and maybe even a correlation between the movement and the noise.

·
Registered
121 Posts
You don't mention the last time the tensioner was changed. If you remove the belt for testing try and determine if tensioner is failing, spin it, try and rock pulley back and forth, listen closely for bearing noise.If any noise or looseness at all change it out.

·
Registered
649 Posts
You don't mention the last time the tensioner was changed. If you remove the belt for testing try and determine if tensioner is failing, spin it, try and rock pulley back and forth, listen closely for bearing noise.If any noise or looseness at all change it out.
Funny, I just replaced the auto-tensioner on my '99 earlier this evening. I have been monitoring this auto-tensioner since 4 years/32K ago when I replaced my timing belt. In the past few weeks it started to make some easily heard noise and a little movement. It has been making noise when accelerating from stop to about 45 mph. Also at idle, when I turn on the AC or when starting the engine, there is definitely some noise coming from the tensioner and not the pulley. I use a long pry bar touching the body of the tensioner while engine is running then listening to the other end. There is surely noise and movement with AC on. Anyway, I got the Gates 38169 from rock auto close out item ($25.79 + SH/Tax $34.51 OTD). This part is updated by Gates 38327 ($40.79 +SH/Tax) which should have a higher tension according to Gates tech. Road tested the new part, noise and movement gone. Will see how long this it will last.

So yeah, check that part. Per FSM, if there is noise or movement - there is a pointer line on the top right of the tensioner- if it moves when you start the engine or turn on the AC - change the tensioner. There is a spring inside that tensioner that gets weaker as it age. The pulley is where the belt rides and the other round thing is the tensioner where the spring resides. Good luck.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My first go-to for that sort of noise is the putting power steering fluid up to the full mark and turning the wheels from stop to stop. If it is full I suggest grabbing the turkey baster and taking some out and replace it with a power steering conditioner fluid. Hide the evidence if necessary.

·
Registered
4 Posts
On my 2007 there have been two items that made a whining noise in the right front part of the engine. One changing out the power steering fluid the second was a bad alternator.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I've had a few alternators on different cars whine. Try changing the load on the alterator by turning the headlights on. Sometimes the sound from a whining alternator will change with varying load.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts