Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Greetings,

My 04 odyssey with 105k mile is producing strange almost whistle like sound while i gas, it stops immediately after i stop gassing and it does seem to start around 40 mph. Here is the recording of what i am hearing while driving, does not happen at rest.

I don't know where to start to troubleshoot it. Any suggestions will be highly appreciated.

Thank you.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I had the same issue and it seemed to happen in 2nd and 4th gear. I never really figured it out and always guessed it was a transmission noise. Never really had an issue with it before we sold the van with almost 200k miles on the original trans

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
295 Posts
If it's the sound I think I'm hearing, it's a worn bearing pocket in the transmission case. The result under load (acceleration) is a slight misalignment in the internal shafts creating the whine.

Here's great resource which explains it:

...and discussion on the forum:

I've had this on our '03 for about 150k miles now, and actually kind of enjoy the sound. Until I install a whistling turbo on it, I'm just going to continue driving it until I absolutely need a tranny teardown (which I haven't had to yet.....I got lucky and got 1 of the late '03 good ones).

As long as you change your fluid regularly, it shouldn't be a catastrophic failure for you.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Reactions: NYdawn

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@ccervenka Thank you for this, it does sound like turbo. I feel lot better now, although my wife gets annoyed by the sound, but there is not much to be done that makes sense.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Maybe she'll appreciate a good tutbo-whine eventually! (Smile)

·
Registered
295 Posts
...turbo-whine

·
Registered
2002 Honda Odyssey EX-L
7 Posts
Mine does the same. If I’m not mistaken it’s only in 4th gear that the sound is heard. I think it’s specific to the 5-speed models. Definitely transmission related, though mine’s been making that sound for as long as I can remember. It had the oil jet recall and such, maybe that’s part of it.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
At first I thought evap noise when refueling the van. :whistle: Now I see it's noise when you accelerate!

·
Registered
31 Posts
My uncle's 04 makes the same noise when I drive it and mine 03 doesn't. His is at 200k and makes that whine since the last 50-60k miles and its pretty smooth shifting otherwise so I guess don't worry about it. Honestly when I bought mine, I wish mine had that whine because it sounds cool lol, but I think that is the misaligned bearing in the trans axle making the whine after some wear as mentioned above.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have an 02, w.290K on it.

I have been shifting it manually since about 230K. It slips like crazy going in to 2nd and leaving 2nd....not related to the noise.

It makes that noise. A friend Honda mech said that it was a bearing.

It didnt affect my daughter nailing a tree....head on.

Dont worry about it....

·
Registered
53 Posts
If it's the sound I think I'm hearing, it's a worn bearing pocket in the transmission case. The result under load (acceleration) is a slight misalignment in the internal shafts creating the whine.

Here's great resource which explains it:

...and discussion on the forum:

I've had this on our '03 for about 150k miles now, and actually kind of enjoy the sound. Until I install a whistling turbo on it, I'm just going to continue driving it until I absolutely need a tranny teardown (which I haven't had to yet.....I got lucky and got 1 of the late '03 good ones).

As long as you change your fluid regularly, it shouldn't be a catastrophic failure for you.
My '03 has been doing that same sound accelerating on highway since @190,000 miles. (196k+ now) I wondered what it was. I too thought it was kind of Jet-like.
Mystery solved! Thanks.

Reactions: ccervenka

·
Registered
295 Posts
My '03 has been doing that same sound accelerating on highway since @190,000 miles. (196k+ now) I wondered what it was. I too thought it was kind of Jet-like.
Mystery solved! Thanks.
Excellent....Maybe we should start a GenII Turbo Owner's Group!

Reactions: NYdawn
1 - 13 of 13 Posts