Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whistling Whining While Turning and Braking After Cold Start - Power Steering Issue?
I have this problem. I have been told that it may have something to do with the power steering fluid and pump or maybe the brakes. There is a service bulletin that might be related - 07-005 (August 21, 2009). That service bulletin says it happens in cold temps (35-40 degrees) after 30 minutes of driving. For me, it only happens immediately following a cold start and air temperature does not matter. You notice it only when braking, for instance when you a backing out of your garage or turning in a parking lot. Sometimes it sounds like it is coming from the rear brakes. My van (2007 EX-L) has the new resevoir mentioned in the service bulletin so that is not the problem. Have taken it to a few places. Problem is that they cant seem to duplicate the problem. I did have the power steering pump fail last year and had to have it replaced. I have had the noise both before and after having the pump replaced. Anyone with a similar problem/experience that has been able to get it fixed? After the car warms up the noise goes away. I dont think it is the brakes as I have them serviced regularly. One suggestion I have seen is to replace the power steering fluid frequently. Thanks.

·
Registered
158 Posts
If I were you, I'd have someone else drive the car in the morning as you stand outside and videotape the noise in action. Then you can play it for a mechanic and you can also verify the sound is coming from the corner that you thought it was. Noises can be tricky to pinpoint while you are inside the car. I'd consider a sticky caliper, though it is just a guess without more info and testing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have the same issue with my 2007 EX-L. It started maybe 2 years ago, Dealer has never been able to recreate it. For us it happens in parking ramps mostly making right turns and seems to be coming from the passenger rear side.

·
Super Moderator
1,250 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts