Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed my Ody is hard-starting in the mornings but works just fine after it starts. I checked the plugs and found a couple to be whiteish rather than brownish-colored. I have excellent compression (195-200psi all 4 cyls) and I'm pretty sure there's no engine-related damage. I'm thinking bad fuel pump. I am buying a fuel pressure gauge later today to check properly but I'm wondering if I'm barking up the wrong tree here.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I'd be surprised if the fuel pump is the fault, could be damp in the dizzy or as the plugs show white deposits then oil in the cylinders could be the cause. Valve stem oil seals could be the fault, is there blue smoke when it does start?

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No smoke but I did notice that if I wait for the "Check Engine" light to go off before I start the car, she starts up with no problems. I didn't need to do this in the past.

·
Registered
122 Posts
You should always wait for the light to go out before you start it, this gives the main relay time to energise the fuel pump relay and the pump to prime up. If you never did before then maybe the pgmfi main relay (combined relay unit does fuel pump, ignition and ECU ) is starting to fail, either way waiting for the light to go out is good practice.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree.. the van has 159k miles so its probably a good idea to swap in a new relay.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts