Honda Odyssey Forum banner

Occupation of owners of Ody's with above 200,000 miles

• Auto mechanic

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Other career, but as hobby can do much of the work (do tell below!)

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • Not an auto mechanic, but have a relative who does work at reduced/no price

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not an auto mechanic, do my own oil changes, light maintenance

• Not an auto mechanic, totally rely upon the dealer

• Not an auto mechanic, totally rely upon the garage

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • {Either answer} AND have done all SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE WITHOUT FAIL

• Total voters
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let us know are YOU part of the MAGIC???
Is your skill at fixing things the reason your Ody still cruises happily?
How many of you open the hood zero times?
THANKS!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Thanks for voting!
We used to change our own oil, drain the TF, etc, on our Accord, but we decided that the time cost was worth paying once we started having children ;-) Other funds-saving sacrifices moved to the top of the to-do list (like replacing the roof, insulating our own attic, etc). But the reason I would like to know {if most older-Ody owners keep them past 200k because they do their own work} is that we have to decide what to do with ours.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are long-time owners able to make it 'worth it' to keep running vans past that 200,000 mile mark.
Any more votes?

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
218K and counting. Have been fortunate that very little has been needed and most of it I have been able to do, such as 2 HVAC actuators, accessory belt tensioner, transmission range switch, brakes, etc. Changing an O2 sensor this weekend due to first CEL (have done one on on my MDX so shouldn't be too hard). I do all of my own maintenance with full syn oil changes and tire rotations every 5K. Recently changed front brakes had 125K on them and current tires have 78K with 7/32 tread remaining, so I credit my wife for driving it easy. Original goal was 250K, but now thinking 300K or beyond. No rust and keep it detailed up so it looks good and everyone who asks is shocked how many miles are on it. Consider myself a moderately capable DIY'er, but have yet to bite off a timing belt.

Reactions: NYdawn
1 - 4 of 4 Posts