Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My current Merc Villager (Nissan drivetrain) is approaching 300,000 miles and I'm starting to shop for my next 300K vehicle ( I need a minivan for my work). My first Villager went 326,000 miles with a flawless transmission also. Both have been used for light towing (snowmobiles, motorcycles).
Sometimes the internet only shows the warts and not enough of the good. I'd like to hear from some "mega" milers of 2011's & 12's. 5 or 6 speeds owners. I kinda gun shy. I blow thru a warrenty in no time flat driving 40,000+ a year. I've got connections for a sweet deal on a Sienna ( I still purchased 2 Villagers duh!!!) but I'm kinda drawn towards the Honda.

Current owners...Sell me! :D
Thanks!

·
Registered
100 Posts
27k miles and none of the issues folks here have complained about.

·
Registered
75 Posts
So I'm not a super high-mileage driver, but I'll comment anyway. I have 13,000 miles on a 2011 Odyssey with the 6AT, and no problems at all so far. I have not felt any degradation in the transmission's performance since the car was new; it shifts flawlessly. My other Odysseys with the 5AT were all fine as well. My 2002 had 200,000 miles at the end of it's life, and the only issue that I ever had with the transmission was the fact that it was recalled at least twice. The 2007 Odyssey I owned was perfectly fine at the end of its time with me around 180,000 miles. I didn't baby the transmissions, but I never towed anything or worked them very hard.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
My current Merc Villager (Nissan drivetrain) is approaching 300,000 miles and I'm starting to shop for my next 300K vehicle ( I need a minivan for my work). My first Villager went 326,000 miles with a flawless transmission also. Both have been used for light towing (snowmobiles, motorcycles).
Sometimes the internet only shows the warts and not enough of the good. I'd like to hear from some "mega" milers of 2011's & 12's. 5 or 6 speeds owners. I kinda gun shy. I blow thru a warrenty in no time flat driving 40,000+ a year. I've got connections for a sweet deal on a Sienna ( I still purchased 2 Villagers duh!!!) but I'm kinda drawn towards the Honda.

Current owners...Sell me! :D
Thanks!
Unless 4th gen owners drive it as a taxi or a school bus I don't see them putting enough miles to have a conclusive statement yet, but check on the other generations sections for feedback. As you may know the 3rd generation (2007 +) has a very similar transmission to the current 5AT.

Now, for the mileage you expect to drive and what you seem to be doing with it, an Odyssey would not be on the top of my prospect list. You can see many high-mileage happy owners around, but the transmission is not a stellar highlight of the Odyssey (and it feels fragile to me)...

My 2 cents :dunno:

·
Registered
108 Posts
Our 2001 Grand Caravan has 176,000 miles on it with no transmission problems(yet). I have changed the fluid 6 times as cheap insurance but even with all that said, our next vehicle will be an Odyssey.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Gin Man - count yourself as lucky - very lucky. Dodge transmissions in the Caravans are notorious for issues around 100k or so. My 1997 was a good example. John, 300k on a auto trans with no work is certainly impressive, and IMHO is tough to match. I have a 2012 EX-l with the 5 speed, and so far so good but I only have about 2K on it so far. To date, none of the issues that others have indicated.

Good luck with whatever you purchase....

·
Registered
24 Posts
I had a 2004 Odyssey. The transmission started slipping around 108,000 miles and within three days I traded the 04 in for an 11 :D 14,000 miles and not a single issue.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts