Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

With all the talk about timing belts, I wondered whom has gone to long and broken a timing belt? How many miles and hold old was the Odyssey.

Also, if you've changed your timing belt, and it looked worn, please advise on the miles and years.

:zoom: :zoom:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Timing belt replacement

Replaced mine at about 62,000 because it was 7 years old. The tensioner was bad so that got replaced under warranty. I certainly would not go over 100,000 or 10 years in any case.

I do not know if a belt failure is catastropic on a Honda. i.e. bends valves, punches pistons and damages heads etc. If it is, don't risk it because it might mean a new engine if it breaks.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Re: Timing belt replacement

Gene_CA said:
I do not know if a belt failure is catastropic on a Honda. i.e. bends valves, punches pistons and damages heads etc. If it is, don't risk it because it might mean a new engine if it breaks.
That is what could happen and has happened to a few on here.

·
Registered
8,723 Posts
They don't normally break, rather they either stretch or wear the cogs and so let the cams get out of sync with the crank. Most belts actually look new when replaced. It's mileage (105K) or time (7 years) that dictates replacement, not looks. It's chancey to exceed either.

·
Registered
7,430 Posts
I came this close to breaking one on a Fiat X1/9. I replaced the belt at the interval indicated by the owner's manual, but did not replace the tensioner pulley.

The tensioner froze while on the freeway. I heard a loud squealing, and pulled over. Luckily, I had the TB cover off for other maintenance (easier to get at the distributor on that engine that way), and saw the TB was smoking. I shut down, and saw that the heat caused by the belt sliding over the frozen pulley had cracked the belt all over, and it was missing chunks of rubber. Some of the internal cording was showing through. It was very close to failing.

Like our Odys, the X1/9 is an interference engine. The pistons will hit the valves if the engine is grossly off in terms of mechanical timing. Bent valves aren't the truly bad result. When the pistons strike the valves, they'll cock in the cylinder bore and break the piston skirts....that requires a complete teardown, top and bottom ends.

If that happens, you'll feel like a pirate..."AAARRRRRRGGGHHHH."

OF

·
Registered
43 Posts
The timing belt broke because of improper installation...not because of age. Somebody used a screwdriver to pry it on the cam gear instead of loosening the tensioner. It bent every intake valve, broke one off which in turn bent a rod, and then the rod broke and punched through the block right below the cast iron sleeve. The motor was at almost redline when it happened though. I take that little belt very seriously after seeing that happen.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
davedrivesody said:
They don't normally break,..
Right on. I've NEVER seen one just break out of the blue. Same goes with the lowly old serpentine belt. I've never seen one of those fail all by it's lonesome either. I'd guess that 99% of the time belt failure is brought on by one of it's associated components; A seized pulley/sheave bearing, loose tensioner, failed water pump, massive oil leak, etc... I've experienced first hand on a Ford what a seized waterpump will do to the T-belt. The belt didn't break, but it wouldn't spin the cam sprocket anymore!

Joel

·
Registered
618 Posts
I have a CRX that went over 205K. Belt looked new. Water pump felt as good as new as well. My Acura I changed at 83k. Also looked new. Did a Accord for a friend that was 18 years old but only had 73k. Looked new as did the balance shaft belt. I have done several Hondas. None have I done had cracks or anything that looked like a failure at near. Im going to do my 00 Ody next spring. It just turned 80k. Not the least worried about it. I know it just is good reason to do it. I would have never let the CRX go that long. But a co-worker I bought it off of did. And I remember the day he bought it new.

·
Premium Member
14,606 Posts
Frankly, I don't recall of a 2nd Gen on Ody with a broken belt on these forums. Most tend to be conscientious enough to change them out around the 105K recommended interval.

Reports of Civic and Prelude breakage in our familiy are documented due to neglect and cheapness. I OTOH change religiously due to time/mileage....

·
Registered
74 Posts
Amazing - No one here has broken a timing belt on their Ody?

We change ours ever 100,000 miles because it's an interference engine. We are at 230,000 miles. Come to think of it, we've changed more transmissions on this thing than timing belts, hum.

My 1990 Camry (non-interference engine) broke the timing belt at 180,000 miles without incident. The manufacturer recommends changing ever 60,000 miles. I just towed it to the shop, slapped a new one on and saved 2X the cost. Now I'm at 290,000 and hope to get 70k more out of this one.

·
Registered
618 Posts
kreipe said:
Amazing - No one here has broken a timing belt on their Ody?

We change ours ever 100,000 miles because it's an interference engine. We are at 230,000 miles. Come to think of it, we've changed more transmissions on this thing than timing belts, hum.

My 1990 Camry (non-interference engine) broke the timing belt at 180,000 miles without incident. The manufacturer recommends changing ever 60,000 miles. I just towed it to the shop, slapped a new one on and saved 2X the cost. Now I'm at 290,000 and hope to get 70k more out of this one.
Yep! that 2.0 Toyota was bullit proof....

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm pleasantly surprised that there wasn't a horror story posted about a broken timing belt.:zoom:

·
Registered
92 Posts
no horror story here...other than the price tag for replacement. I had 110k on my 2000 EX when I had the belt, tensioner and waterpump replaced.

·
Registered
664 Posts
kreipe said:
Still, nobody has broken a timing belt on an Ody?
Nobody who is a regular here anyways. The few stories we hear about here and there are people who've just broken one and we tell them the scenario break down of what they can do.

In the last 3 months on this board I'd say that 4 people have visited that broken the timing belt and ultimately ended up replacing the engine.

I haven't seen a single post where the person rebuilt the engine. Mainly because it costs about half as much to buy a lower mileage ody engine than it does to rebuild the old one.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Not sure if this qualifies as a horror story (since our 2000 was still under warranty when this happened):

We returned from a long trip with a squeak coming from the front of the engine. I told the service manager that it sounded to me like a bearing going bad in the water pump. He told me that this was extremely unlikely since "Honda water pumps don't fail." After a day he called to say that there was a problem with something in the a/c clutch mechanism and that we could drive the car while waiting for replacement parts to arrive.

The next day my wife called me to say that the van's engine had died while she was in traffic and that the car wouldn't move. We had it towed to the dealership. They called later to inform us that the water pump had seized, snapping the timing belt and causing some number of valves to bend. They replaced the cylinder head under warranty. (They claimed there was no damage to the pistons, connecting rods, etc.)

My comment to the service manager - "I guess you should have checked out that water pump when I first asked about it" - didn't go over so well.

By the way, this wasn't the only "incident" our van experienced at this dealership. The year after the water pump fiasco I brought the car in for service to the sliding door mechanism. An hour after I left the van the service manager called to say that something "unfortunate" had happened. The "porter" who was driving the car into the service bay accidently hit a pillar, taking out the driver's side rear quarter panel. The dealer paid for the body shop repairs as well for a week's rental on a loaner - a Nissan.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts