Honda Odyssey Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
8,589 Posts
VictoriaHonda said:
Does any one here have pictures of doing this them selves? I heard it is like a 2 hour job to do????

Shawn
See this site for the timing belt replacement procedure, with pictures. I believe it is much more than a 2-hour job.

·
Registered
664 Posts
davedrivesody said:
See this site for the timing belt replacement procedure, with pictures. I believe it is much more than a 2-hour job.
Yea, its a 4 hour job even with the right tools. There is a reason that mechanics charge 600-900 bucks to do the timing belt.

·
Registered
7,377 Posts
VictoriaHonda said:
You guys are like God...
We're just a bunch of Homers. Like Homer Hickham (author of October Sky, NASA engineer), Homer (author of the Iliad, or as we know it as Homer's Odyssey)...maybe I place myself far too highly to be in that elite group of people. Lots of great people on this forum.

Enjoy some hands-on work with the Odyssey.

I learned this one from another poster...get one of those gold or bright colored paint markers, and paint a stripe / marking on each cog, going up onto the timing belt. Remove belt, place over new belt, paint matching marks. Make sure new belt matches up with marks on cogs when you place it on the engine.

OF

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
This thread brings up something that I found this weekend. My niece's Accord died on Saturday, the end of the camshaft disintegrated leaving the TB pulley floating in the wind. Never seen that one before. Anyways, I started looking for a new head. I found a couple companies on E-bay that rebuild them for a decent price. This made me check for Ody heads after reading this thread. I see a set on there for $650. Seems this would be a good way to go assuming nothing else was damaged internally. I'll be replacing the Accord head in the near future. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
91 Posts
just came back from the dealer from a regular 45k oil change for our 04 odyssey. I was surprised the guy tried to talk me into changing all the belts. He said Honda recommends timing belt changes at 60k or 6 years. And the cost would be $750.

I politely declined the offer. Even if the 60k and 6 years is true, we are not over due yet. We bought the 04 as a year end model in August.

We will wait to see the 4th gen in fall and probably upgrade if it is not too out of the ordinary.

·
Registered
755 Posts
it's actually 105k miles or 6 years i think.

Even tho your ody's 6years old, i wouldn't bother changing

ALL of that recommended stuff. Maybe just spark plugs

and perform a fuel injector cleaning and that sorta thing just to

keep the car in good shape. Im waiting on a new ody too :D

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
I wouldn't touch the plugs at 45k. Mine looked new at 104k and 8 years old. The OE ones last a long time and are worth the bucks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
2010 honda odyssey. Dealer changed the belt @ 105k in 2015. Driving on a long spring break trip (700 miles in) timing belt snapped and left me stranded with 199k on the odometer 3/15/2019. I am meticulous on maintenance. Lesson learned, don't wait for the 105k interval. Change it early. This is my second odyssey and we actually just replace this 2010 with another 2010 exl just like we had, but only 136k on the clock as we just love this generation of odyssey. It fits our family perfectly. And yes, I have it muzzled. Pulled all my old mods off the dead van (hid lights, muzzler, etc) and put them on new to me 2010 we just bought.

·
Registered
8,589 Posts
Driving on a long spring break trip (700 miles in) timing belt snapped and left me stranded with 199k on the odometer
Buzzkill for sure!

Curious...just the belt failed? No failure of anything related? e.g. tensioner?

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
I am curious as well because I would speculate it was actually one of the associated components rather than the belt itself. I am at 220K on my '07, so 115K since belt was done and going to be done in the next few weeks. Have not seen any signs of issues like a noisy tensioner, leaking WP, etc. I almost wish I was closer to done with the van and could just roll the dice, but it still looks and runs so nice it would tick me off if I lost it now.

·
Registered
2 Posts
No idea what all failed. I had driven 10 hrs straight w/ family in the car. It died on a Sunday night in bfe and had to get towed. Was cruising at 79 mph on the Interstate when engine shut off, all the idiot dash lights came on. Coasted to a safe stop. It wouldn't crank. Tried a few more times and then it finally cranked, but cranked very quickly. All my lights worked so not low batt. Tow truck driver (super nice gray haired) owns his own shop and when I cranked it he's like "yeah, it's your timing belt". I was 2 hrs out from our destination, so family came and picked us up and I ended up salvaging vehicle as I was having some shuddering issues when letting of gas pedal around 30-40mph (before this long trip). Suspected motor mounts or torque converter. So, I knew that I had other costs/repairs even if there was no valve damage from the broken timing belt and since I, like an idiot, did additional cranking, who knows what damage was done. Being 700 mi from home and with wifey freaked out about covid 19, it was easier to just pick up another used 2010 odyssey.

Best part is the one I picked up just had the 1-3 piston/ring job done on it 10k miles ago (with new timing belt, water pump, tensioner) at the dealer. It's in great shape and we hope to get another 100k out of it and kids will be into college. AND I'm replacing that stupid timing belt in 60k vs the 105k. I did put a remote start on it, so I wonder if the extra idling contributed to my somewhat early t-belt failure?

We're safe, and in a new to us (paid for) van. It's only money and this van was sooo much cheaper than the other used vans we looked at or god forbid a new van!

·
Registered
8,589 Posts
I, like an idiot, did additional cranking, who knows what damage was done.
Nah, the momentum of the engine's rotation when the belt broke at 79MPH would have done all the damage there was to do.

I wonder if the extra idling contributed to my somewhat early t-belt failure?
The low engine speed at idle is harder on a TB than the higher RPM's of driving, but unless your idle time was a substantial portion of running time, I doubt it made a difference to the life of the TB. Also, a certain amount of idling was probably factored into the factory service life guideline.

The biggest TB killer is extreme climate temperature, followed to some degree by extended periods of inactivity. Oil leaking onto the belt will ruin it. A loose tensioner can make it jump teeth and ruin the engine without the belt actually breaking.

---

The new van sounds like a gem. Many happy miles ahead!

·
Registered
982 Posts
I am curious as well because I would speculate it was actually one of the associated components rather than the belt itself. I am at 220K on my '07, so 115K since belt was done and going to be done in the next few weeks. Have not seen any signs of issues like a noisy tensioner, leaking WP, etc. I almost wish I was closer to done with the van and could just roll the dice, but it still looks and runs so nice it would tick me off if I lost it now.
I hear ya. I changed my belt at 115K miles the first time round and I was concerned I pushed it at the time. Everything looked perfect. Replaced with all new OEM and I now have 218K miles. Will likely change it again in the next 5-10K miles. Will do plugs and valve lash at same time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi all,

With all the talk about timing belts, I wondered whom has gone to long and broken a timing belt? How many miles and hold old was the Odyssey.

Also, if you've changed your timing belt, and it looked worn, please advise on the miles and years.

:zoom: :zoom:
The timing belt for my 2003 EX was changed in Jan/2015 with 101500 miles on it. Everything worked fine before the belt change, no issues before or after the change. The old belt looked fine to me when I inspected it.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts