Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to get an idea how much (roughly) we can tow with our 2002s, especially without a weight distribution system, and the quality of the drive.

Can anyone who has towed let me (us) know about how much you think the tow weight and tongue weight were? Did the Van sag, swerve? Are you on OEM suspension?

Thanks much

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just purchased at Towlite 19' Travel Trailer. UVW - 2700 lb. Weight Distribution hitch and stock suspension. Tows just fine! Slight sag in rear (maybe 1-1 1/2") My first outing will be next weekend and I'll update if I encounter any problems. I am strongly considering adding airlifts in the rear.

------------------
2002 SS L-EX
Cargo Mat, Cargo Tray,
Splash Guards,
Tow-Package

[This message has been edited by OdyRod (edited 02-13-2002).]

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow, beyond limit. You've for the tranny cooler at least right? Which hitch have you selected?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had the dealer tow package installed and it includes Transmission Cooler, Power Steering Cooler, Class 3 hitch and wiring harness. Tow limit is 3500 lb with this set up. The Trailer came with a weight distribution hitch(which is also recommended by Honda when towing heavy loads.)
I had the RV dealer install a controller for the electric brakes on the Ody when I picked up the trailer.
The Ody seems to have plenty of power to pull the trailer.

------------------
2002 SS L-EX
Cargo Mat, Cargo Tray,
Splash Guards,
Tow-Package

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by OdyRod:
I had the dealer tow package installed and it includes Transmission Cooler, Power Steering Cooler, Class 3 hitch and wiring harness. Tow limit is 3500 lb with this set up. The Trailer came with a weight distribution hitch(which is also recommended by Honda when towing heavy loads.)
I had the RV dealer install a controller for the electric brakes on the Ody when I picked up the trailer.
The Ody seems to have plenty of power to pull the trailer.

</font>
Thanks

Oh yea, 3500. Must have flipped some bits in memory.

How does the Ody do with that 2700 Ibs load? WD hardware probably helped keep the rear from sagging, huh?

·
Registered
6 Posts
The Ody sags a bit in the back- perhaps 1 or 1 1/2 inches I guess - I'll try to remember to measure next time I hitch up.
I imagine I'll add airlifts to firm up the back end.

Towing was no trouble for the Ody: Easily accellerated onto the freeway - turned fine and trailer tracked nicely. Braking was my big concern at the outest but again no problems at all. Trailer has electric brakes and I had the RV dealer install a controller on the Odyssey.

Only question left for me is how the Ody will do towing up into the Sierras and how well the brakes do coming back down!

------------------
2002 SS L-EX
Cargo Mat, Cargo Tray,
Splash Guards,
Tow-Package

·
Registered
156 Posts
2002 LX
I'm pulling roughly 3000 lbs of boat (300 pounds tongue wt) Power is fine, no braking is ok (no brakes on trailer)
Slight sag in rear, I am going to install air lifts shortly

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Do you guy think the airlifts might aleiviate the requirement for weight distribution?

Why.... I want to get the Reese Hitch bike rack that allows you to hitch up to it. It will tow up to 2500Ibs on its 2" receiver. However, it appears to put the hitch ball about 12"-16" further back than normal, resulting in a greater leverage against the rear of the vehicle. Reese said that it is not compatible with any weight distribution system.

I borrow a pop-up camper from a friend and he says it might be about 1300Ibs unloaded.

Thanks

·
Registered
37 Posts
The airlift bags do not perform the same function as the weight distributing hitch. Airlift bags just allow you to keep the back of this low and softly sprung vehicle from dropping even lower under the weight of a trailer or other rear load. The do NOT change the ratio of weight on the front and rear wheels of the car, like a weight distributing hitch does.

I would strongly suggest you avoid the Reese hitch and bike carrier. This layout would work ok with a big heavy tow vehicle like a Suburban, but you are asking for an accident with the Odyssey.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by moopie:
The airlift bags do not perform the same function as the weight distributing hitch. Airlift bags just allow you to keep the back of this low and softly sprung vehicle from dropping even lower under the weight of a trailer or other rear load. The do NOT change the ratio of weight on the front and rear wheels of the car, like a weight distributing hitch does.

I would strongly suggest you avoid the Reese hitch and bike carrier. This layout would work ok with a big heavy tow vehicle like a Suburban, but you are asking for an accident with the Odyssey.
</font>
You suppose it would be pretty bad even with a 1300Ibs pop-up camper.

·
Registered
37 Posts
This issue here is not just the weight of the trailer. You also need to factor in:

A: Changes in front to rear weight distribution that will occur on the Odyssey with a hitch that places the trailer ball substantially aft of where it normall is. This placement will create a longer lever that will take weight off the front wheels and place them onto the rear wheels.

B: You intend to place even more weight here with the addition of bikes on top of the trailer hitch.

The Odyssey's purpose is not primarily a tow vehicle. Front wheel drive vehicles just do not tow as well as rear wheel drive ones do. By throwing off the weight distribution from what the manufacturer has tested for, you run a risk of creating an unsafe situation. How much weight is safe for this type of hitch? Without scientific testing, there is probably no way to know. I just wouldn't take the chance with the rig you are suggesting because while it might work fine 99% of the time when conditions are good, you may have MAJOR problems in the 1% of the time, such as during a wet weather panic stop or swerve.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I have a 2002 GG EXL. I tow a 2003 Trailmanor Model 3023 with UVW of 2880 including the options. For grins&giggles we stopped at a truck stop last weekend to check the weight. 2630 on the front axle, 2840 on the rear axle and 3450 on the trailer axle. We had a normal compliment of camping supplies, a full tank of gas and everyone in the vehicle: wife & 2 kids ( I was the only question, was the snapshot taken when I was in the vehicle or when I was standing on the rear axle scale). I use a weight distributing hitch and a Hidden Hitch Receiver. I have the Honda Power Steeing Cooler and a TruCool 4452 (aftermarket so I could have extra cooling margin). The Odyssey handles very nice. It has enough power to "accelerate" up I-81 Virginia hills at a decent speed. The ride is a little more bumpy with the trailer but certainly not uncomfortable. My only complaint is I get 15MPG at 65MPH. I was greedily hoping for 20MPG. Now if you have done the math you will see we are about 700lbs over combined vehicle weights but since there are no axles overloaded and the tranny cooler has more of a cooling capacity I am not concerned. But the again I don't intend to add any more weight.

·
Registered
479 Posts
BobN said:
I want to get the Reese Hitch bike rack that allows you to hitch up to it. It will tow up to 2500Ibs on its 2" receiver. However, it appears to put the hitch ball about 12"-16" further back than normal, resulting in a greater leverage against the rear of the vehicle. Reese said that it is not compatible with any weight distribution system.

I borrow a pop-up camper from a friend and he says it might be about 1300Ibs unloaded.

Thanks
Why don't you put bike rack on the roof? That way you can probably pull 1300 lbs without weight distribution hitch and you won't need air-lift either. I think having load leveraged like that will really wreak havoc. Just a thought.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts