Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just classed up my Odey (2003 EXL) with a new stereo and I'm extremely pleased. I did nothing more than spend $90 on a Pioneer Bluetooth double-DIN stereo and harness kit (no speakers) from Walmart, and I am shocked at the sound improvement.

We are using the stock front and rear speakers.

With the previous stock radio from Honda the sound had no mid-tones and the bass was pretty weak. The trebles were tinny but not horrible. In order to hear the lyrics we had to crank the volume louder than the bass could handle comfortably. So the mid-tones were just shot. I figured this was surely a speaker problem.

The one thing I didn't account for was that we were using 100% fm transmission. We connected our phones over bluetooth through an fm frequency adapter. We also listened to the radio a lot, and the sound quality was the same, even when the signal was strong.

We installed the stereo and now both the radio and the Android-Bluetooth (Pandora) music sound incredible. I have to admit the Android music is somewhat better, maxing out the bass so that I have to use the handy bass boost button to turn it off. The navigation voice and phone calls through the direct Bluetooth connection sound awesome.

I can't play the radio while using voice navigation, or Google voice commands, but that problem is solved by using a live radio app like iHeartRadio on my Android. It requires a bit more cell data but it's well worth it to talk to my car and have it talk back. Driving is much safer than looking at the maps on the phone.

This is no audiophile's dream but I am a music lover and have played a few instruments in high school. The sound is good enough for me. My only gripe is that the trebles are still a little bit tinny but in comparison to the stock radio it's like night and day. The mids are present and mellow. The bass is smooth and warm. I can actually feel the vibration of the speakers on my leg while driving.

We are enjoying it so much that we often sit in the car just to get away, and listen to music at a decent volume. It's our favorite place to hang out.

I'll attach some pics when I get a chance.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Killed the battery last night. LOL. Remember to run your engine intermittently if you're hanging out in your car. :oops:

Took the battery to Walmart for a charge. Had to set up the stereo all over again since it lost its memory when we removed the battery. Sigh

·
Registered
9,255 Posts
Agree, the sound system in the Gen 2 is pitiful. I don't mind though as I never listen to it while driving (the road noise drowns it out LOL).

Nice to see folks like you still upgrading their Gen 2's that left the factory almost 2 decades ago. :)

Reactions: Mdtyler and xsnail

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Also, the rear speakers cannot handle any power whatsoever and distort easily, so it will be good to fade primarily to the front speakers.

Suggest you change out the 3.5" rears with something better quality, upgraded ones are cheap and super easy to change out, pop off the grill and a couple of screws and they are out.

use spade connectors and a piece of wire to connect up the new speakers, if you dont want to cut the stock speaker plug.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Just classed up my Odey (2003 EXL) with a new stereo and I'm extremely pleased. I did nothing more than spend $90 on a Pioneer Bluetooth double-DIN stereo and harness kit (no speakers) from Walmart, and I am shocked at the sound improvement.

We are using the stock front and rear speakers.

With the previous stock radio from Honda the sound had no mid-tones and the bass was pretty weak. The trebles were tinny but not horrible. In order to hear the lyrics we had to crank the volume louder than the bass could handle comfortably. So the mid-tones were just shot. I figured this was surely a speaker problem.

The one thing I didn't account for was that we were using 100% fm transmission. We connected our phones over bluetooth through an fm frequency adapter. We also listened to the radio a lot, and the sound quality was the same, even when the signal was strong.

We installed the stereo and now both the radio and the Android-Bluetooth (Pandora) music sound incredible. I have to admit the Android music is somewhat better, maxing out the bass so that I have to use the handy bass boost button to turn it off. The navigation voice and phone calls through the direct Bluetooth connection sound awesome.

I can't play the radio while using voice navigation, or Google voice commands, but that problem is solved by using a live radio app like iHeartRadio on my Android. It requires a bit more cell data but it's well worth it to talk to my car and have it talk back. Driving is much safer than looking at the maps on the phone.

This is no audiophile's dream but I am a music lover and have played a few instruments in high school. The sound is good enough for me. My only gripe is that the trebles are still a little bit tinny but in comparison to the stock radio it's like night and day. The mids are present and mellow. The bass is smooth and warm. I can actually feel the vibration of the speakers on my leg while driving.

We are enjoying it so much that we often sit in the car just to get away, and listen to music at a decent volume. It's our favorite place to hang out.

I'll attach some pics when I get a chance.
How was the install? Did you have to get rid of the handy storage space below the old radio? Did you need any special covers to cover up open spaces? I am thinking of doing mine on my '03 EXL but my speakers in the rear really suck and the front ones seem to buzz with any decent bass applied.
Thanks,
Buffalo4
PS: I did replace the original radio/CD unit once with a used OEM one ($25), so I am familiar with that process.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
How was the install? Did you have to get rid of the handy storage space below the old radio? Did you need any special covers to cover up open spaces? I am thinking of doing mine on my '03 EXL but my speakers in the rear really suck and the front ones seem to buzz with any decent bass applied.
Thanks,
Buffalo4
PS: I did replace the original radio/CD unit once with a used OEM one ($25), so I am familiar with that process.
Metra sells the DIN and Double DIN kits along with the harness.

used the single din kit with a clarion bluetooth usb unit on my old EX.
changed the rear 3.5'"s for some alpines, kept the stock pioneers till one blew out and was cracking.
switched those to kickers 6.5" low profiles if I recall.

you're kind of shafted from upgrading if you have the NAV with built in HVAC controls.

Also, I have a Metra double DIN kit new in the package in one of the tote bins, was for a project that never happened on my EX, you're welcome to have it just pm me an address or po box and will drop it in the mail.

·
Registered
37 Posts
A couple of months ago I did a cheap (Dual) single DIN that had a USB for streaming, and two pairs of the least expensive speakers (Rockford Fosgate) at Crutchfield. There's no low end at low volume, but I am mainly in my van alone for work. Each piece was about $30-$35 and the only reason I went over $100 was because I paid to have the harnesses preassembled. A little fun stuff in between the work and expense of maintenance and repairs is a good treat once in a while. I haven't messed with car audio since my 20's. Might need to keep an eye out for a small powered sub to help the sound.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts