Honda Odyssey Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
11,889 Posts
Even Eric the Car Guy got duped by these same counterfeit parts from Amazon.

Wish there was some way to put a stop to this but Amazon and eBay don't seem to care. Don't try and sell hand sanitizer or toilet paper or they will take you down...take you down to China Town! (Meet the Parents movie reference.)

It comes down to buyer beware. The hydraulic tensioner alone, from a Honda dealer, costs the same amount as those kits. When something is too good to be true, it usually is.

·
Registered
8,589 Posts
Is there a way to check condition of valves after a TB failure without removing heads?
You would have to replace the TB first, then do a compression test.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would not leave the other counterfeit parts in there by just replacing the belt. Do it all over with the Aisin kit from RockAuto or go OEM from Honda.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Thanks for the valuable information(y). Fake parts (n) . Getting much worse, when they "look" OEM. Agree, Amazon, Ebay, should put a stop to this. They have the resources to stop this.

If you purchased the fake parts on your credit card, you can "dispute" the charge.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bernardi is the answer. You are already saving money on the labor. Bernardi looks like half off compared to Honda Dealers in the SF area that mark everything way up.

·
Registered
282 Posts
If you paid with paypal you have 180 days to file a claim. Please do so, we need these thieves to pay.

·
Registered
11,889 Posts
Bernardi is fine, but the Aisin kit is every bit as good as the genuine Honda stuff when it comes to the timing belt components. Just use a genuine Honda serpentine belt rather than any of the aftermarket belts.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Wow. So disturbing to read all this. These sellers of counterfeit parts don't give a damn if your engine grenades because of the crap parts they sold you. They got their money, that's all they care about.

When I did my timing belt job in early 2017 I used the Aisin kit. I watch a lot of South Main Auto videos on YouTube and in the video where Eric O. does a timing belt/water pump job on a Honda 3.5 he used the Aisin kit. I figured if that's the kit that Eric O. uses it's a pretty good endorsement. Put 50K miles on my Ody since then with no issues.

Video is here if you want to watch:

·
Registered
285 Posts
How could that be? Where did you get the parts? When you say "Honda kit" did you buy OEM or use an Aisin kit? Or was it something generic from Flea-bay?
There are a number of fake Honda kits out there. Here is how to tell the fake kit that I bought that was represented as genuine Honda OEM, that the parts were the same identical parts that would come off of the vehicle. Every one of these listings I looked at had several instances of run-together words. Because I had old OEM Honda parts to compare the parts in these fake kits, I wanted to see what was actually in these lowball kits.

The fake kits come with two belts (timing belt and drive belt) and three additional oil seals that are not present on the Aisin kits (which I used). Every part is shown in the listings with Honda OEM packaging. The parts in these kits are not Honda/Koyo/Aisin parts. The belts had Honda part numbers on them but no manufacturer information or logos. The idler bearing seals were not branded The water pump had no logo on it. When I compared the parts with the pictures in the listings they were not the same parts. I paid $72 for the fake kit I returned, but the prices are higher now and can go over $150 for some of these kits.

The genuine parts will have a pump with the Aisin or Honda logo (that will match what comes off of the car). As far as I know, the only idler pulleys that come in these kits have the Koyo bearings (going back to my 2000 Odyssey). The timing belt in my Aisin kit had the Mitsuboshi logo and numbering on it. The tensioner did not look that different from the fake tensioner. Neither tensioner had a logo on it, and the old tensioner didn't either.

It may be that other fake kits are different than the one I bought to see if it was genuine. It went back to eBay with Negative feedback). These kits may be listed as coming from the US but are being sold by merchants outside of the US. They were sold both on Fleabuy and Flamazoom. I complained to eBay and they did nothing - a waste of a phone call.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Oh man this sucks big time! My '12 EX-L is just over 80k miles, so I am thinking about the TB swap. I might have fallen for the Ebay scam had I not read this.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I really wish there was some way to get these fake kits removed because I know of at least a couple people who have fallen for them. There was a TL type S locally for sale with a bad head because the timing belt broke shortly after being replaced. I was so tempted to buy it as a project to teach myself some more complicated engine work

·
Registered
275 Posts
I was at my local Honda dealer last May to get parts, when I replaced the timing belt and water pump on my 07 Accord V6. There was a Honda Odyssey there for a $5000 engine replacement, because one of these ultra cheap kits from ebay was installed.

Always keep your old OEM parts for reference. I posted above what bags and box the OEM parts come with.

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
Even better than trying to figure what is good or bad on Ebay or Amazon is just don't purchase there. For me it is Aisin on RockAuto or directly from one of the aggressive dealers that sells online. My local dealers are in collusion and refuse to discount their parts off list price, so unless I have to have something that day I go around them, but if my only choices were Ebay, Amazon, or my local dealer I would choose my local dealer for TB parts. Just not worth the risk of a great counterfeiter that fools me.

·
Registered
11,889 Posts
Even better than trying to figure what is good or bad on Ebay or Amazon is just don't purchase there. For me it is Aisin on RockAuto or directly from one of the aggressive dealers that sells online. My local dealers are in collusion and refuse to discount their parts off list price, so unless I have to have something that day I go around them, but if my only choices were Ebay, Amazon, or my local dealer I would choose my local dealer for TB parts. Just not worth the risk of a great counterfeiter that fools me.
Amen to this.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts