Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Afterall, these are the people that can help you get assistance for your failing transmissions, sliding doors and ignition switch problems.

Every business needs to make a profit or atleast attempt to. I am saying this in defense of my local dealer which has been great!

Yes I pay a premium on all my services and repairs. BUT, they treat me right, give me a ride to the office, pick me up after, Starbucks coffee in the lounge and the repairs are done by certified/trained Honda technicians, as opposed to a high school drop out that has turned a wrench for 20 years.

Anyhow, 2 transmissions later, both outside of warranty and covered by the dealer, 2 faulty ignition switches, free power steering rack @ 102k miles and countless sliding door repairs @ all complimentary costs, I would go nowhere else but my Honda dealer.

I guess it is like Neiman Marcus or Saks Fifth, you pay a premium for good expert service and unbelievable warranty coverage if you're a loyal client.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
731 Posts
Not everybody hates stealerships, er, dealerships. I don't hate my local dealer but I can't say I love them either.

It's just that work there is expensive and not always done to my satisfaction. I'm sure people have horror stories but you have to realize that they're more vocal than the silent majority that have nothing to write about.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,235 Posts
panerai said:

Every business needs to make a profit or atleast attempt to.
That's the key right there IMO. You have to go into it understanding the fact that NOTHING is for free and you will pay a bit more for the OEM parts, service and sometimes convenience associated with it. If you stay cool with a Service Writer, they will take care of you. Give a clear explanation of what you need and you can bargain for price. If not, walk and try a different dealer. You can try the service manager route or '1-800-Honduh', but that's a lot of time and bother. Get all hot and fluffed up and you are done for at any level.

Joel
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
214 Posts
I would agree with previous statements that the service level can vary from dealer to dealer. Also from person to person within the dealership.

There are a lot of concerns about the quality of the work that you pay a premium price for. And again, I am sure that varies from tech to tech.

I have been opposed to the exhorbidant parts markup (most of the online parts dealers are dealers too and they manage to sell at a reasonable price). I found a 40% difference between 2 dealers in the same city on one part.

I couldn't afford to own the vehicles I had if I had to pay for every little thing to be fixed by the dealer so I do the work myself and I am prettty successful. I've done timing belts, clutches, water pumps, steering racks, etc. and I know it was done right because I did it.

Each to his own and I am sure there are some highly skilled and competent people working at all dealerships. You just have to roll the dice that one of them is working on your car.

Andy
 
  • Like
Reactions: Taddtrox

·
Registered
Joined
·
107 Posts
"paying a premium for good service" is what is at question. Most of my experience is paying through the nose at a dealership and then being treated poorly. I paid almost $40,000 out the door for my beloved Odyssey and then was treated like they were doing me a favor when I had needs and never offered a rental car. When I bought a cheap Ford years ago that dealer offered free loaner cars for anything more than an oil change.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,235 Posts
AndyCBR said:

I have been opposed to the exhorbidant parts markup (most of the online parts dealers are dealers too and they manage to sell at a reasonable price). I found a 40% difference between 2 dealers in the same city on one part.
Same here Andy. Back when I owned my 2002 Isuzu Rodeo, one of my upstream, heated O2 sensors lost it's heater (constant CEL). Called my local Isuzu dealer. $250 for a replacement sensor!?! Got one from an Isuzu dealer who does tons of mail-order for $120. Unreal. The only time my vehicles see dealer service is for warranty issues. I don't mind paying little extras at that time to make the 'warranty' go more smoothly. I know these guys depend on the service bay to keep the lights on for the most part. :(

Joel
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
150 Posts
I have to chime in on this one. Like others, I don't go to the dealer unless I absolutely have to - for the same reasons others have posted. Outrageous prices for both parts and labor. And for those prices, it is a roll of the dice as to whether you will get quality work or not. If I pay premium prices, I expect premium work - no exceptions. What is so frustrating is that if the dealers would not try to rape you on the prices, and exercise better quality control, more people like me might bring their car in more often, which in turn would increase their revenue to where they wouldn't have to rape you on the price in the first place. Everyone wins. We get reasonably priced, quality service. They get increased sales/repeat business. Am I missing something?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,235 Posts
CoolJ, In reality, most of the finger pointing should go towards the manufacturer with respect to paying out for warranty work. The Tech working on the vehicle doesn't get paid squat for your average warranty job, if they get paid at all. A Tech could spend half a day troubleshooting a squeak or rattle that a customer is B*ching about, find nothing and not get paid for his/her time. That, or the the Tech busts his knuckles for 4hrs on a job and the pay rate is only for 2hrs! You'll go broke REAL quick that way. This is why Service Writers lick their chops at the gravy-train jobs and rake you over the coals (fluid flushes, cleanings, brake jobs,etc). They know their techs can crank them out quick and make back some of the money they lost on warranty jobs all week. Manufacturers need to address this better. They don't because for the most part, dealerships have nothing to do with the actual auto company. Dealerships are privately owned and run businesses. Again, I think the manufacturers should be more in charge of them.

Joel
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
kenycki said:
"paying a premium for good service" is what is at question. Most of my experience is paying through the nose at a dealership and then being treated poorly. I paid almost $40,000 out the door for my beloved Odyssey and then was treated like they were doing me a favor when I had needs and never offered a rental car. When I bought a cheap Ford years ago that dealer offered free loaner cars for anything more than an oil change.
Thats funny, I paid $104K for my BMW 750Li, $81K for my Range Rover and $92K for my Benz G500 and never in my mind did I even think the Dealer owed me a rental car. They always just offered it to me.

I also paid $40k for my Oddysey and they always offered me a rental. I turn it down most of the time because it is not that important to me.

Just FYI, the price of the vehicle has nothing to do with your rental.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
MTPockets08 said:
That, or the the Tech busts his knuckles for 4hrs on a job and the pay rate is only for 2hrs! You'll go broke REAL quick that way.
Joel
Very true, but most if not all people wil pay for the 4 hours that the technician deserves.

Seeing the posts on this board, people are not willing to pay for squat, and expect the world/
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,235 Posts
panerai said:
Thats funny, I paid $104K for my BMW 750Li, $81K for my Range Rover and $92K for my Benz G500...
Dude... Can I come over to play? :D

Joel
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
954 Posts
panerai said:
Yes I pay a premium on all my services and repairs. BUT, they treat me right, give me a ride to the office, pick me up after, Starbucks coffee in the lounge and the repairs are done by certified/trained Honda technicians, as opposed to a high school drop out that has turned a wrench for 20 years.
My independent uses certified/trained Honda technicians that get annual training to stay current. Plus they let me look under the hood and talk shop AND their rate is substantially lower than the dealer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Re: Re: Why All the Hatred Towards the Honda Dealerships?

back3earth said:
My independent uses certified/trained Honda technicians that get annual training to stay current. Plus they let me look under the hood and talk shop AND their rate is substantially lower than the dealer.
I bring my "other car" to an independent as well. Dont get me wrong, I love my independents also.

Two good friends of mine work at a dealership. One is a master technician and the other owns the place.

Honda training is almost every quarter. There are new tests and coriculums everyweek as new information arrives (@ Honda Interactive).

The education independents get are second hand "wannabe" Honda factory reps. I know because I use to run a chain of indepent stores AND I use to attend those training sessions. It's a joke. But for the uneducated conterfeit mechanics, it'll do just ok.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
150 Posts
MTPockets08 said:
CoolJ, In reality, most of the finger pointing should go towards the manufacturer with respect to paying out for warranty work. The Tech working on the vehicle doesn't get paid squat for your average warranty job, if they get paid at all. A Tech could spend half a day troubleshooting a squeak or rattle that a customer is B*ching about, find nothing and not get paid for his/her time. That, or the the Tech busts his knuckles for 4hrs on a job and the pay rate is only for 2hrs! You'll go broke REAL quick that way. This is why Service Writers lick their chops at the gravy-train jobs and rake you over the coals (fluid flushes, cleanings, brake jobs,etc). They know their techs can crank them out quick and make back some of the money they lost on warranty jobs all week. Manufacturers need to address this better. They don't because for the most part, dealerships have nothing to do with the actual auto company. Dealerships are privately owned and run businesses. Again, I think the manufacturers should be more in charge of them.

Joel
Those are good points. I didn't think about the dealer getting screwed on the warranty work. That definitely is part of the problem. I still think that instead of having to rake people over the coals, if they provided consistent quality service at reasonable prices they would more than make up for it with increased volume of business. I know it's a tricky balancing act - you don't want to make the prices too low, you don't make any money. But if you set them too high, you discourage a lot of people from coming in. There's a "Goldilocks" point that's just right - dealer makes money, customer doesn't get raped. I probably don't know what the heck I'm talking about. I'm just a naive, idealistic guy. :p

And BTW panerai - I want to hang with you too. Nice stable of cars. It must feel like you're slummin' in the oddy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
CoolJB96 said:
Those are good points. I didn't think about the dealer getting screwed on the warranty work. That definitely is part of the problem. I still think that instead of having to rake people over the coals, if they provided consistent quality service at reasonable prices they would more than make up for it with increased volume of business. I know it's a tricky balancing act - you don't want to make the prices too low, you don't make any money. But if you set them too high, you discourage a lot of people from coming in. There's a "Goldilocks" point that's just right - dealer makes money, customer doesn't get raped. I probably don't know what the heck I'm talking about. I'm just a naive, idealistic guy. :p

And BTW panerai - I want to hang with you too. Nice stable of cars. It must feel like you're slummin' in the oddy.
Excellent point. I wished the factory paid more on warranty work.

The Oddysey is our most used vehicle because we can park it anywhere without having to worry about haters and careless door dingers.

The Oddysey is my wife's daily driver for this purpose. I also like driving it because I get to park it in front of the office. I never bring a nice car to work, it brings bad press. If and when I do, I park really far and walk to at least one block.

Back to the topic, dealerships make the most in the finance department, second only is the service department.

The other reason why the dealer charges alot is overhead. There are a lot of customers that blame them for problems that they did not cause. There is also that scratch "that was not there before". The cost of insurance rakes the dealership over the coals also.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
343 Posts
it depends on the dealer

I had very bad service with Honda of Watertown(CT) years ago, when my wife and I were getting a Civic... they flat out told me the car didn't come in a 5spd with the options package and color I wanted(roflmao), their service was never any better than their sales... acting like they were doing me a favor to even look at the car

where as Danbury Honda(again CT) went out of their way to find me the same Civic that Watertown said did not exist(took them about a week calling dealers to find it, then another week to get it in)
and their service was good(not super, but good) and friendly

I don't mind dealers, I dislike holier than thou dealers who know less about the cars than their customers
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
524 Posts
Why the need to defend dealerships?

Why All the Hatred Towards the Honda Dealerships?
You have stated that
I know because I'm a service advisor.
at
http://www.odyclub.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=43456&perpage=15&highlight=&pagenumber=1

For what company are you a service advisor?
Your line of work could explain why the attempt to defend dealerships.

My Cars.
2007 BMW 750Li, 2006 M.Benz R500, 2004 Range Rover HSE, 2004 M.Benz G500.
----
My Wife's Cars
2004 Porsche 911 C2.
2006 Maserati Quattroporte
Buying a 2008 Oddysey Touring w/ PAX
Wonderful cars. But they will not get sympathy from customers who are upside down on car loans and see a $800+ charge for engine mounts or thousands for a new transmission.

Seeing the posts on this board, people are not willing to pay for squat, and expect the world/
Yes, the perspective is different if one can afford $104K for a car.
I paid $104K for my BMW 750Li,
http://www.odyclub.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=43459
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Re: Why the need to defend dealerships?

baseball said:
You have stated that at
http://www.odyclub.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=43456&perpage=15&highlight=&pagenumber=1

For what company are you a service advisor?
Your line of work could explain why the attempt to defend dealerships.

Wonderful cars. But they will not get sympathy from customers who are upside down on car loans and see a $800+ charge for engine mounts or thousands for a new transmission.

Yes, the perspective is different if one can afford $104K for a car.
http://www.odyclub.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=43459
Yeah you're right, this forum and club is no place for a service advisor.

I'm leaving now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,127 Posts
We have had several service advisors come and go around here. If you actually gave us any useful information, your chain would soon be yanked by management anyway.

Now as to the original question. Some dealers are scum. They lie. They are incompetent. My wife and I use two different Honda dealers. Both are under the same ownership. The smaller one my wife uses has been exemplary. (I have also used them when we lived closer) But the larger one always hits me with the big up-sell. (although they did goodwill a repair I had the tsb on once) The service takes forever to get written up, and picking up the van can take a hour. Both my wife and I have the same vintage vans (02 &03) The same repair can cost way more at one over the other. There's a culture at every dealer. Set by the managers I think. Greed brings out the worst in people. I just can't quite understand the level of fraud involved in the auto repair business. I mean there are more than enough things that actually go wrong without making things up.

Here is an old Wall St. saying that applies:
Bulls make money and Bears make money, but pigs just get slaughtered.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
954 Posts
egads said:
There's a culture at every dealer. Set by the managers I think.
Local dealership is fairly large and I would say there is a different culture evident for used sales, new sales, service and parts which undoubtedly is set by the respective managers. I get along best with parts. After shaking hands with sales, I want to take a shower.
 
1 - 20 of 54 Posts
Top