Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was sitting in the car with the engine off and the keys on the tray next to me when I heard the doors lock. The dash light indicating the car is alarmed was now blinking red. I pushed the "unlock" button on the remote: the light stopped, and the doors unlocked. Seconds later, the process repeated, only this time, the alarm started. I frantically pushed the remote's "unlock": didn't help. Started the engine: didn't help. Then finally pushed the "unlock" again with the engine running, and it stopped. What's up? I thought you had to push the "lock" twice to alarm the car, and more importantly, you had to actually push it. Is there a phantom somewhere?

·
Registered
342 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MerpsMom:
I was sitting in the car with the engine off and the keys on the tray next to me when I heard the doors lock. The dash light indicating the car is alarmed was now blinking red. I pushed the "unlock" button on the remote: the light stopped, and the doors unlocked. Seconds later, the process repeated, only this time, the alarm started. I frantically pushed the remote's "unlock": didn't help. Started the engine: didn't help. Then finally pushed the "unlock" again with the engine running, and it stopped. What's up? I thought you had to push the "lock" twice to alarm the car, and more importantly, you had to actually push it. Is there a phantom somewhere?</font>
Hi Merpsmom,

Your alarm (I'm assuming it's the Honda factory version) can be programmed to be in one of three modes.

1. Manual - won't do anything unless you push a button on the remote.

2. Auto - will arm the alarm but not lock the doors after you park and exit the vehicle.

3. Auto/Lock - will arm the alarm and lock the doors after you park and exit the vehicle. If you disarm the system and then don't do anything else (open a door etc.) it will rearm and relock everything within about 30 seconds.

I'm pretty sure #3 is what your alarm system is programmed to do. In theory, if all you did was park, turn everything off and just sat there, it shouldn't have done anything. I'm thinking that if you touched the brakes or did anything that would light up an interior light, the alarm would see that as a door opening and closing and then start the countdown to auto arming and locking the doors. The red interior alarm light will flash quickly (2 to 3 times/second) while in the countdown mode and approx. once/second after the alarm has armed itself. If you accidentally touched the brakes or anything else that would illuminiate a light while the alarm was armed, it probably saw that as an intrusion and that's what set the thing off.

If you entend to stay in the car after parking it, simply leave the key in the ignition. That should keep it from doing the auto arm and lock routine. For now, I'm not convinced that you've got a problem. I think you got caught by unusual circumstances.

As far as the remote is concerned, it should lock the car with one push of the lock button. I should unlock the "drivers door only" on the first push of the unlock button and everything else on the second push of the unlock button as long as it's pushed within 20 to 30 seconds of the first time.

Good Luck & Drive Safe,
Steve

[This message has been edited by Intrepid175 (edited 09-02-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Intrepid175 (edited 09-02-2001).]

·
Registered
126 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Intrepid175:
Your alarm (I'm assuming it's the Honda factory version) can be programmed to be in one of three modes.

1. Manual - won't do anything unless you push a button on the remote.

2. Auto - will arm the alarm but not lock the doors after you park and exit the vehicle.

3. Auto/Lock - will arm the alarm and lock the doors after you park and exit the vehicle. If you disarm the system and then don't do anything else (open a door etc.) it will rearm and relock everything within about 30 seconds.

I'm pretty sure #3 is what your alarm system is programmed to do
</font>
The manual (p.193) says the security system sets automatically 15 sec. after LOCKING the door, hood, and tailgate.
I assume that is Mode 1. The manual does not say anything about other modes available.
You said it can be programmed for any of the mentioned modes - how to do this? It seems to me that Mode 3 is what I'd prefer.

[This message has been edited by DP (edited 09-02-2001).]

·
Registered
568 Posts
Samething happened to me once. Engine off, key in my hand without opening the door then drive side door autolocked itself. As soon as I tried to get out, alarmed went off. I was able to shut it off by pressing the remote control button.

------------------
'01 GG EX
Mud Guard, Wheel Lock, Cargo Tray, Weathertech Mats, Leather Steerling Wheel Cover, Pioneer 1655 front speakers, 1086 rear speakers, Lojack

·
Registered
342 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DP:
The manual (p.193) says the security system sets automatically 15 sec. after LOCKING the door, hood, and tailgate.
I assume that is Mode 1. The manual does not say anything about other modes available.
You said it can be programmed for any of the mentioned modes - how to do this? It seems to me that Mode 3 is what I'd prefer.

</font>
Hi DP,

Here I go making assumptions again. I'm good at that, aren't I?

I've got the factory alarm on my LX (which I installed) and was assuming the EX version worked the same way. I could be wrong about that. If it is that same system, there is a switch located toward the top of the alarm brain that allows the user to select one of the three modes I mentioned in my reply to Merpsmom. The "brain" itself it mounted to the right of the steering colume and above the gas pedal on my LX. Again, I assume it's in a similar position on the EX but I sure could be wrong about that.

Either way, her problem came from the fact that the system is programmed to auto arm and lock itself sometime after the car is parked and the key removed.

Drive Safe,
Steve

·
Registered
8 Posts
I was sitting in the car with the engine off and the keys on the tray next to me when I heard the doors lock. The dash light indicating the car is alarmed was now blinking red. I pushed the "unlock" button on the remote: the light stopped, and the doors unlocked. Seconds later, the process repeated, only this time, the alarm started. I frantically pushed the remote's "unlock": didn't help. Started the engine: didn't help. Then finally pushed the "unlock" again with the engine running, and it stopped. What's up? I thought you had to push the "lock" twice to alarm the car, and more importantly, you had to actually push it. Is there a phantom somewhere?</font>

·
Registered
8 Posts
Dont believe that the alarm in the EX can be programmed in any way, wish it could.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts