Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 163 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't really answer my own question. :D

My Husband bought it for me, as a surprise. He chose the Touring Elite. (we had talked about it before hand, but he said a 0% chance of getting it.) :rolleyes: :D

Why did YOU choose the trim level you chose?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Touring.

Wanted 6 spd., 18" wheels, Nav + RES, but I didn't care about blind spot detection and ultrawide dvd.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
EX-L w/RES covers all the family needs and beyond. It is my kids' ride, not my own anyway :D.

We did not only compare Odyssey trims, but also against other vehicles (Sienna, Chrysler T&C, Dodge Caravan, VW Routan and the upcoming Nissan Quest)

NAV vs RES was not even a thought. Our Tom-Tom and phones with GPS are swappable between cars and in 1-2 years you can get a fancier new model with map updates for a couple of hundred bucks. Integrating RES nicely aftermarket on the other hand is not that easy.

I only wish fabric would be available on the EX-L trim instead of leather, but it seems easy to wipe

And yes, we also looked at the Touring Elite, it is an awesome vehicle, but at the end of the day we concluded that a van is a van, regardless of what fancy features you have in it. Anyway, to each its own, long live the free market ;)

·
Registered
144 Posts
touring

cuz i didn't like the available color choices in the touring elite on the day i went shopping :D

the only thing the elite had that i just have to have is the HID which i just ordered from xenondepot anyway.

·
Registered
755 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
would've loved to get the touring or touring elite!

but we were on a tight budget having lots of diapers to pay for, mortgage, etc... you know the drill.

we considered a used 2007-10's odyssey with low mileage but they were mostly mid to high $20k so decided to bite the bullet and go over $30k for a new van... this would be the most expensive car our family has ever bought, so quite a thrill. yeah, a thrill over a minivan! ;-)

we knew we wanted leather so that put us at the ex-l. plus the ex-l has all a lot of the bells and whistles (bluetooth, usb, power everything, etc).

like the other person, we have a garmin gps we pop between cars although even it gets limited use because i'm so used to either using the iphone or printing out google map directions before leaving the house.

i have to admit, i love that huge MID (great for having kid/family pics set as the wallpaper) and it'd be great for NAV. but at $1500+ more, it just seemed too much for the little we'd use it. since grandma got an ipad with 3g for christmas, we may pay 3g access on long trips and mount that sucker on the dash as a giant gps as well as internet access ;-)

as for RES, we passed on that as well. kids too young now to take advantage and we have 2 ipads now which will end up on headrest mounts (or in laps) on long trips. we have tons of ripped movies, music, games... and with 10" screens each, they should provide plenty of entertainment for the kids (or adults) back there. it'd be nice if the bluetooth off-sync problem would get fixed because that would allow playing the audio through the car's stereo -- right now, audio is delayed a couple seconds. oh well.

miss the little touches included in the touring/elite, like side mirror blinkers, fog lights, 3rd row arm rests, and 18" rims...6 speed transmission and added mileage definitely nice too.

so far i've added the all weather mats, a hitch (self installed, bought off amazon, for bike rack use), and cargo net. it came with rear cargo tray, mud flaps, and body molding and roof rack/cross bars. we have a yakima rooftop box we used on the subaru which will be great for long trips when the cargo area will be filled with either the jog stroller or bike trailer.

plan to do hid lights (xenondepot) and fogs down the road...and when i'm ready for new tires, probably get the 18" rims at the same time.

·
Registered
196 Posts
EX-L w/ Nav

Not a popular choice and was somewhat harder to find in stock. We wanted leather, so EX-L was minimum.

Did not want RES. The kids should learn how to entertain themselves like we did when we were kids.

Liked the Nav for slightly better audio, voice control, and because we wanted something extra to play with.

I did want the 6-speed of the Touring. But, I just couldn't justify the added cost of the upper trims, combined with future maintainence costs (6 speed, acoustic glass*, low resistance tires for example), and the generally lower long term cost of ownership of any trim level that is the most popular (EX-L).

*I live in Colorado where replacing the windshield can be a routine necessity.

·
Registered
507 Posts
We bought ours right after it came out and there were no Touring Elites that were going to be available by the time we needed a car. Also, we only have one child who will be able to use the RES during the course of our lease so we didn't need the ability to show more than one movie. The only part of the TE I would have wanted would have been the improved stereo but lets be realistic... how often do I really get to listen to my music that loudly with children in the car;). Anyway, we got a Touring and are happy with it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
We got EX-L RES.

I wanted leather so EX-L, but here in Canada, there is no EX-L, only EX-L RES.

I weighted the Touring (there is only one Touring model here) but could not justify the 6k price different. What I want from Touring model is blind detection system, 6-speed AT and memory seat.

·
Banned
728 Posts
BigBoat said:
EX-L w/RES covers all the family needs and beyond. It is my kids' ride, not my own anyway :D.

We did not only compare Odyssey trims, but also against other vehicles (Sienna, Chrysler T&C, Dodge Caravan, VW Routan and the upcoming Nissan Quest)

NAV vs RES was not even a thought. Our Tom-Tom and phones with GPS are swappable between cars and in 1-2 years you can get a fancier new model with map updates for a couple of hundred bucks. Integrating RES nicely aftermarket on the other hand is not that easy.

I only wish fabric would be available on the EX-L trim instead of leather, but it seems easy to wipe

And yes, we also looked at the Touring Elite, it is an awesome vehicle, but at the end of the day we concluded that a van is a van, regardless of what fancy features you have in it. Anyway, to each its own, long live the free market ;)
I agree 100% with your comments. In Canada, we can get EX-RES so we don't have to take the leather interior with RES. We don't have the option of EX-L RES or NAV. We don't get NAV unless we buy a Touring (which is the same as a Touring Elite in the US).

I have no need for NAV on a day to day basis and when I travel, I just use the Garmin unit I have for business trips in other cities.

·
Banned
728 Posts
Shazzam said:
I agree 100% with your comments. In Canada, we can get EX-RES so we don't have to take the leather interior with RES. Of course we lose a bunch of the "L" options such as sunroof, etc. We don't really need that stuff either to move kids and their friends.

We don't have the option of EX-L RES or NAV. We don't get NAV unless we buy a Touring (which is the same as a Touring Elite in the US).

I have no need for NAV on a day to day basis and when I travel, I just use the Garmin unit I have for business trips in other cities.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Our 2004 was an EX and so is our 2011. The EX-L was tempting, but no one in the family likes the hot (and cold) leather seats, so cloth worked better for us. Yes, I know they have heaters, but if I do not get leather, I do not need heated seats. Also, no one can tell from the outside whether it is an EX or EX-L, unless they look hard enough to see the cloth. Again, the EX-L was tempting, but we will just save that $3,500 for college or something else.

As for the RES, I can't ever see us buying a $1500 TV in our house, so I can hardly justify it in our van. I know they might be cool to have and the kids might get to brag about their van having one, but in the long run, the kids might prefer that money be used to help them pay for college. Our $70 portable DVD player has served us well for years, but it is only used for long trips. Same for the NAV. Now, if they offered memory seats as a stand alone option, I'd probably part with some cash for that one.

Hopefully my two cents did not set off those of you with endless amounts of money to spend on your van or for large car payments, but this is how we decided on the EX.

·
Registered
69 Posts
tom34diy said:
Our 2004 was an EX and so is our 2011. The EX-L was tempting, but no one in the family likes the hot (and cold) leather seats, so cloth worked better for us. Yes, I know they have heaters, but if I do not get leather, I do not need heated seats. Also, no one can tell from the outside whether it is an EX or EX-L, unless they look hard enough to see the cloth. Again, the EX-L was tempting, but we will just save that $3,500 for college or something else.

As for the RES, I can't ever see us buying a $1500 TV in our house, so I can hardly justify it in our van. I know they might be cool to have and the kids might get to brag about their van having one, but in the long run, the kids might prefer that money be used to help them pay for college. Our $70 portable DVD player has served us well for years, but it is only used for long trips. Same for the NAV. Now, if they offered memory seats as a stand alone option, I'd probably part with some cash for that one.

Hopefully my two cents did not set off those of you with endless amounts of money to spend on your van or for large car payments, but this is how we decided on the EX.
congrats on the ex!

i think the ex is a heck of a deal -- a lot of car for the money (same engine/transmission/seats-minus leather, etc. as ex-l). i'm with you. i'm sure honda makes a lot of margin/profit selling the vans with the bells and whistles, but for those on a budget, the lower trims are a great value.

my wife's prius which we got before the kids came along, has cloth because the dog slips and slides on leather.

with the ody we opted for leather since there's room for the dog to be on the floor and with younger kids everyone told us leather would be much easier to clean. i'm in so cal, so hot seats can be an issue a few days a year, but i had black leather in my subaru and with tinted windows it's not too bad. but i agree, $3500 was a big jump and we had to think hard -- it's our "luxury" car now ;-) dad's pulling some extra shifts to cover it!

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
We also got a Touring Elite, I wanted a RES and Navigation system and HID headlamps. Obviously the HIDs can be retrofitted later, but the price between touring and touring elite wasn't significant enough to deter us, plus we usually keep our cars for a long time so I figured we'd enjoy the extra gadgets.

One gadget that I'm enjoying much more than I thought is the blind spot sensors. I find that at night a car can hide a bit in the area where the 2nd row seat is and the C pillard is on the passenger side.

The one annoying thing is that there is something in the van that trips my k band on my radar detector. Even turning the parking sensors and blind spot detection off it still triggers it.

We did have to wait a good bit to get it, we put a deposit down oct 1st, and we took delivery dec 3rd.
Phil

·
Registered
157 Posts
Touring for us. Big points:

With three kids and one on the way, we'll be taking more road trips for vacations. A DVD player was in the cards for us, and I don't know how we would have survived a 15 hour trip to Grandma's house without it!

I consider the backup camera/sensors both terribly useful for parking and a safety feature to make sure I don't run over my kids (I've heard too many horror stories).

Leather was a requirement for easier cleanup.

I also highly value GPS capabilities and prefer the integrated experience you get with a car system: the screen is larger than standalone units, the POI's offer phone numbers that work with the car's Bluetooth calling feature, there are no extra cables or mounts, you can control the unit via voice commands and buttons on the steering wheel/instrument panel, and the turn-by-turn guidance turns the radio down to make sure you hear the instructions.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Touring Elite

We went with the Touring Elite for a few reasons. First, my wife was not interested in a minivan of any kind, so I had to wow her a bit. I kept checking in with our local dealer until they had an Elite on site. We went and parked it next to a Toyota Sienna Limited to try and compare apples to apples. Controlling the DVD playback from the front is what sold my wife. We have 3-yr-old and 8-mo-old boys, so we're thinking we may eventually need the split screen entertainment. I was sitting in our garage last night cranking out "Cars" on the widescreen -- very cool.

·
Banned
728 Posts
Re: Touring Elite

mromberg said:
We went with the Touring Elite for a few reasons. First, my wife was not interested in a minivan of any kind, so I had to wow her a bit. I kept checking in with our local dealer until they had an Elite on site. We went and parked it next to a Toyota Sienna Limited to try and compare apples to apples. Controlling the DVD playback from the front is what sold my wife. We have 3-yr-old and 8-mo-old boys, so we're thinking we may eventually need the split screen entertainment. I was sitting in our garage last night cranking out "Cars" on the widescreen -- very cool.
I just got a new 52" Sony HX909 led local dimming backlit HDTV. Awesome picture, so I'll be watching TV at home instead of in the garage.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Re: Re: Touring Elite

Shazzam said:
I just got a new 52" Sony HX909 led local dimming backlit HDTV. Awesome picture, so I'll be watching TV at home instead of in the garage.
Ah, but do you have the 12 speaker surround sound system, reclining leather seating for six and cup holders? Also, do you have a place to strap the kids down. That's very important.

·
Banned
728 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Touring Elite

boulder_bum said:
Ah, but do you have the 12 speaker surround sound system, reclining leather seating for six and cup holders? Also, do you have a place to strap the kids down. That's very important.
No and I never seem to have time to watch it either. :)

1 - 20 of 163 Posts