Honda Odyssey Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I will try with the power socket in the front. that may free up my Andriod Auto port.
I used this (basically a large capacitor) which made things work ok. I think the issue is surge power is too high without this device buffering the surge. It's designed to work with TV USB outlets but the Ody reacts the same way.

"Made for Amazon" Mission Cables USB Power Cable for Amazon Fire TV Stick (Eliminate the need for AC Adapter)
by Amazon.com
Learn more: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07319K943/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_0-tNDbQ5RJWK0

·
Registered
46 Posts
I used this (basically a large capacitor) which made things work ok. I think the issue is surge power is too high without this device buffering the surge. It's designed to work with TV USB outlets but the Ody reacts the same way.

"Made for Amazon" Mission Cables USB Power Cable for Amazon Fire TV Stick (Eliminate the need for AC Adapter)
by Amazon.com
Learn more: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07319K943/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_0-tNDbQ5RJWK0
good suggestion Thad. this would prevent me from a cable hanging from the power socket. I will give this a try.

·
Registered
519 Posts
This is a known hardware issue specific to the non-4K Firestick - it does not draw enough current from the USB port, even though it needs only 1A or so. The 4K Firestick works just fine in my van. It is overkill to use a 4K stick with a 1024x600 screen, but it is often on sale for just $35.

·
Registered
46 Posts
This is a known hardware issue specific to the non-4K Firestick - it does not draw enough current from the USB port, even though it needs only 1A or so. The 4K Firestick works just fine in my van. It is overkill to use a 4K stick with a 1024x600 screen, but it is often on sale for just $35.
do you have to keep switching the resolution with 4K stick every time you boot up/startup the car?

·
Registered
519 Posts
do you have to keep switching the resolution with 4K stick every time you boot up/startup the car?
No, it is set to auto-detect; the screen advertises itself as 720P so the 4K stick outputs at 1280x720. I bought the "regular" FireTV stick initially last year, couldn't keep it powered on using the USB ports, then I recalled others reporting the same problem back when I bought my vehicle in summer 2017. I already had the 4K version at home, tried it on and it worked perfectly. So I bought another one a few days later when it went on sale. That was about 11 months ago and it has never let me down since then.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Sorry if this is a dumb question - but I am assuming to use the Firestick you need the car's wifi hotspot? Or are you using your own phone as a hotspot?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Sorry if this is a dumb question - but I am assuming to use the Firestick you need the car's wifi hotspot? Or are you using your own phone as a hotspot?
I was using it with my phone wifi. I switched to car hotspot after I activated it with AT&T. $10 a month since I am a current AT&T customer. both works well.

·
Registered
46 Posts
No, it is set to auto-detect; the screen advertises itself as 720P so the 4K stick outputs at 1280x720. I bought the "regular" FireTV stick initially last year, couldn't keep it powered on using the USB ports, then I recalled others reporting the same problem back when I bought my vehicle in summer 2017. I already had the 4K version at home, tried it on and it worked perfectly. So I bought another one a few days later when it went on sale. That was about 11 months ago and it has never let me down since then.
good to know. I guess I am picking up a 4k stick this black Friday.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts