Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon,

This is my first post to the site (I just joined), but am very appreciative of all the useful info I was able to glean from the site. It has been very helpful as my wife and I have been deciding about minivans.

Anyway, we are getting ready to take delivery of an '01 EG EX and are stuck about whether to purchase the extended warranty. It seems as if most posters here and at Edmunds.com have opted for some version of the HondaCare warranty and I was wondering why. In general, I do not purchase extended warranty's but the prevalence of Odyssey buyers getting them has given me pause. I have had an Acura (180k miles), Mazda (150k), and two Nissans (65k each and still going) and have never had a repair that would have been covered by an extended warranty. Why should I get one on the Odyssey (I know about the CR repair ratings)?

Therefore, I would appreciate any feedback from those that have and have not decided to buy an extended warranty for their Odyssey's about the reasons and logic behind their decisions. We get the car in early August and have to decide by then. (BTW, excessive cost is not a big issue, as the dealer I am working with is offering very fair prices (e.g., the car at $26,169 plus tax out the door and $775 for the 6/100k/0 and $895 for the 7/100k/0.) Any input is welcome and thanks,

David

·
Registered
71 Posts
The warranty prices you listed are good but not the best available. You can get the 7/100/0 for $875, at least during the '01 model year.

First off, you don't have to decide when you get the car. You can decide at any point while the vehicle is still under factory warranty. What you won't know is whether the price to cover it will remain the same if you wait until the factory warranty is about to run out. You would, however, have an idea about how problemmatic or not your particular van turns out to be.

If you've read a lot of the posts here, you will see that there are POTENTIAL trouble spots. Not that every van has them, or even a majority - but it you happen to be one that does have them, you'd like it to be covered. Many people that get the EX get the extended warranty because of the extra electronics (power seats, power sliding doors that have had problems). I got the NAVI as well and wanted that to be covered... 7 years 100K miles is a long term to be covered for these types of problems.

As far as what's covered, you really have to look at the details. Beyond the cost of the repair itself, there are a number of things that can be covered, such as rental car reimbursement (although some dealers will provide a car for extended service anyway), vacation protection, roadside assistance, trip planning, maps, etc. As far as the repairs, normal wear and tear items are not covered - brakes, tires, wiper blades, oil changes/filter, etc. - but major mechanical and electrical is.

"Extended warranty" is sort of a misnomer. It's really an insurance policy. It's an individual decision as to what level of risk tolerance they have. Obviously, the pricing of the HCW is designed for Honda and the dealers to make money over the total set of people that buy the policy. However, there may well be a number of people who save themselves substantial amounts of money by having the policy.

Good luck whichever way you go. Do realize though that you absolutely do NOT have to decide the day you take delivery, nor do you have to buy the HCW from the dealer you take delivery from. Many people buy their HCW's from Alton Brakely in Kentucky (Tracy Dalton is the F&I manager there).

Welcome to the site. I hope you get as much out of it as I have since joining a couple of months ago, and I hope you love your Ody as much as I have.

------------------
Eric
'01 SS EX/NAVI
Next up: Replace factory speakers

·
Registered
71 Posts
Wow, I just took a second look at the price, you did pretty well... where did you go? I only got $500 off MSRP and even that was a better deal than most people on the board...

Also, looks like we're neighbors. Anyway, welcome to the club.

------------------
Eric
'01 SS EX/NAVI
Next up: Replace factory speakers

·
Registered
47 Posts
BigRob makes good points.

To get the most for your money, the absolute best way is to buy a car new, and maintain it for 10 years, up to 200k miles.

Please see Hoofer's P.M. Website for details.

As BigRob puts it, the 7 year Honda Care warranty givers you some insurance against major repairs due to defects (assuming you follow PM, any breakdown should be covered). And, as he said, I have the EX and the doors were the big issue with me. I didn't want the EX, but my wife loves the doors.

What's nice about the HCW, though, is you can use it to replace AAA. That adds up over 7 years, too, so is a nice little extra.

If you decide to sell at around 7 years, you have piece of mind that you are covered under just about any circumstances until then. 6 to 7 years seems to be a pretty popular duration, although I fully plan on having my van last 10 years.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Bigrob:
Wow, I just took a second look at the price, you did pretty well... where did you go? I only got $500 off MSRP and even that was a better deal than most people on the board...

My folks live in Columbus, OH and so I thought I'd check out dealers there. I also have a friend who is a fleet buyer there and he gave me some names at local Columbus dealers. (I hesitate to give the dealers name for fear of being seen as a shrill
). Given the $300 processing fee around here, I figure the total savings is over $1000 and I get to visit my folks!

Also, looks like we're neighbors. Anyway, welcome to the club.

Thanks for the advice on the warranty. Something to think about. BTW, I am just S.E. of 28 and 29...

David
</font>

·
Registered
71 Posts
I'm in Virginia Run, Pleasant Valley off 29. I'm sure we'll see each other tooling around in our Odys! Ohio and Kentucky are good places to get Odys, since you were from here I thought maybe you find a good deal nearby. It's good that you got a visit with the folks out of it.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I too, have been looking into an extended warranty. I have asked several companies to send me a copy of their warranty, but only two have do so. Even then, one will not send me the name they are registered in, in their home state,so I can check them out with the BBB. 3 attempts with no answer, That oughta tell me something. I noticed that the warrantys only covered failure of the covered items, not normal wear and tear. IOW-its a judgement call, and you're not the judge-they are. So if your door motor fails??????
But I'm still looking.
Regards
Al

·
Registered
2014 Acura RDX
75 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by dpc13:
Good afternoon,

<snip>

Therefore, I would appreciate any feedback from those that have and have not decided to buy an extended warranty for their Odyssey's about the reasons and logic behind their decisions. We get the car in early August and have to decide by then. (BTW, excessive cost is not a big issue, as the dealer I am working with is offering very fair prices (e.g., the car at $26,169 plus tax out the door and $775 for the 6/100k/0 and $895 for the 7/100k/0.) Any input is welcome and thanks,

David
</font>
I assess the extended warranty as insurance against big-money failures between 36K & 100K miles. A door motor costs a bit more than the price of the warranty, so it's worth it to me simply for the peace of mind.

Additionally, there are side benefits such as a rental car during repairs, the AAA-like functions (although it covers only the Odyssey, unlike AAA, which covers you irrespective of the car you are in).

Peace of mind (although I plan to have this vehicle 10 years - and at current mileage rates that puts me around 190K miles) is the best answer I have for your question.

RFT!!!
Dave Kelsen.
I don't have a license to kill but I do have a learner's permit.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I have an example copy of Hondas warranty and it's very vague. Things like the doors, starter and alternator aren't even mentioned. But my point is-even if they were listed, the contract states: " Mechanical breakdown means the inability of a properly manitained part COVERED UNDER THE CONTRACT to perform the function for which it was designed, DUE TO DEFECTS IN MATERIAL OR WORKMANSHIP. Mechanical breakdown does not mean the gradual reduction of operating performance due to WEAR AND TEAR".

Seems like a lot of room for interpretation.At 80K, who makes the determination if your alternator, starter or door failure etc,was due to wear and tear or a defect in material or workmanship?

AL

[This message has been edited by albaby (edited 07-10-2001).]

·
Registered
18 Posts
In my opinion, "Wear and Tear" applies to components which are expected to wear out over time. For example, tires, wiper blades, brake pads are all things that we expect to wear out and need replacing at some time. We would not expect the power sliding door to wear out...it should be designed to last for the life of the vehicle.

By the way, I put a deposit on a 2002 Redrock Pearl EX last week. Expected arrival time is late September to early October. Dealer had NO information about the 2002 models other than the new colors. Didn't even know what the EXL-RES stood for!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Seems like a lot of room for interpretation.At 80K, who makes the determination if your alternator, starter or door failure etc, was due to wear and tear or a defect in material or workmanship?

AL

An excellent question. While I would like to think that wear and tear applies only to blades, tires, etc., I am not so sure. Has anyone has had their Odyssey long enough to use the HondaCare service yet? If not, has anyone dealt with Honda on another car, or even with another manufacturer who could shed some light?

David

·
Registered
585 Posts
I had a 6/72k mile extended warranty on pathfinder and I never had a problem having anything mechanical or eletrical replaced (excepting brakes, wipers, etc.)

------------------
Marvyn
2001 SS EX-NAVI
floor mats * mud flaps * cargo tray * leather steering wheel wrap * Blaupunkt 652 speakers * blue 'super bright' headlights

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by dpc13:
We are getting ready to take delivery of an '01 EG EX and are stuck about whether to purchase the extended warranty. It seems as if most posters here and at Edmunds.com have opted for some version of the HondaCare warranty and I was wondering why. Why should I get one on the Odyssey (I know about the CR repair ratings)?</font>
Just a quick update: we took delivery a week ago Friday and decided on the 6/100k/0 HondaCare warranty. The deciding factor was that we will keep this van for at least that long and the price was low enough to ease my concerns about a wasted investment.

I am still not fully convinced, but have made the decision and will see how it turns out. Thanks for the feedback from all who replied.

David

1 - 13 of 13 Posts