Honda Odyssey Forum banner

Why is Honda Waiting to Release Info?

6K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  anafe 
#1 ·
Why is Honda holding off releasing info on an 05 Van that is due out in September.

As far as I know all of the competing vans (Sienna, 05 DCX Vans)are already on the market.

I don't know of any other mini-van manufacturer that plans on any major redesigns for 05.

So what's the holdup other than to play on people's anticipation of the new design.

It's more aggravating than anything else and doesn't help facilitate the purchase decision process for those of us waiting to see whats behind door number 1.

JMHO

#2 ·
Could be that Honda decided to do a last minute redesign of their version of D-C's stow and go or some other features overlooked on the lastest round of mini-van introductions.
Industrial spying may have tipped them off to the need to match the competion. Who knows.

-Mark

#3 ·
Announcing big changes for '05 would lead to slower '04 sales. They don't want to have to offer rebates to keep Odys moving at the dealerships.

Remember, its always money, money, money... ;)

#4 ·
Besides, imagine how much fun they get from laughing at all the "Really, the-actual-for-God's-honest-truth-acurate-for-sure-this-is-it-got-it-from-a-reliable-source-'05Ody" posts here? :D

#7 ·
nwf_snake said:
Announcing big changes for '05 would lead to slower '04 sales. They don't want to have to offer rebates to keep Odys moving at the dealerships.

Remember, its always money, money, money... ;)
This is a big reason why they do it. I suspect the other reason
would be like others were saying - lets see what others have
come up with and we will do better. Now that all of the new vans
are out Honda can look at them and see if they need to put it into the 05.
I think we all look to the day where we can go to
the dealership and see it.:D

Steve

#9 ·
ledebuhr1 said:
Does anyone know where Honda does the R@D for the 05 Ody?
does'ent the have a proving grounds just outside of Marysville OH.
I'm not sure where they do the R&D on the 05 Odyssey, but they do have some type of proving grounds near the Marysville plant. My in-laws live in this area, so I have spent a lot of time on the roads near Marysville.

Early on a Sunday morning back in the winter of 97, before the new Accord was introduced for 98, I encounted a test engineer out with a de-badged, slightly disguised Accord on the back roads just outside of Marysville. I followed him for about 10 - 15 miles (in my 94 Accord) before he finally pulled over and let me take a quick peak at the latest model. I saw this car about 2-3 months before there were any "spy photos" circulating in the car magazines. My wife still thinks I am nuts because I talk of this encounter just like it was yesterday............

Months before the introduction of the Acura TSX, I had a similar experience... but this time the TSX was flanked by a few other marked Honda's, and they were not going to let me get an up-close look.

I guess I should start carrying a digital camera when I go to visit the in-laws.......:D

#10 ·
Thanks for the info.

What ever Honda does for the 05 ody it better be a Home run.
I went and test drove a 05 GC STX today. I dident plan on buying anything for a while. I wont buy untill I know what the 05 ody is like. That 05 GC is REALLY nice. its VERY quiet, Much quieter than the Ody. and it has a lot more features. It stopped as good as the Ody too. The floding seats are a great idea.
Honda really has to raise the bar.

#11 ·
ledebuhr1 - The GC is a total piece of garbage. I traded in an '03 GC on my Odyssey. Here's something that they call a "feature": In order to turn off the radio, you have to either turn off the radio or open the door. Yes, that's right ... your radio does not turn off automatically when you turn off the van. It's annoying as all get out and I never got used to it. The '03 spent over 6 weeks in the shop in the first year alone. The power doors began to open and close by themselves, the rear tail light popped free when I closed the back hatch, the tail pipe rattles against the body when you go over bumps in the road or turn a corner too sharply. Don't believe me?? Go back to the dealership, grab the tailpipe, pull it sideways and let go. It'll waggle all over the place. For almost 5 feet from the tail forward, there is no clamp on the tailpipe. Dealers are trained to respond to warranty claims with the following phrase: "Sorry, we couldn't duplicate the problem. Bring it back when it happens again." THIS was after I showed the video tape of the problem. The ignition got a short in it and every time we opened the doors, the alarm would go off to let us know that the keys were still in the ignition (even when the dealer had them in his hand). The problems were almost endless with it and every dealer I took it to seemed incapable (or unwilling) to fix it.

The short version is this: It won't hold it's value, it won't hold up over time, and you'll be thoroughly frustrated and angry with yourself for buying into that Grand Cr*p (a) that they're selling. Intermittent problems are the rule with this vehicle. I even had a salesman tell me that once I "got through the break in period (a.k.a. the first year or two) and they got all the bugs worked out" I'd be a completely satisfied customer. There is no break in period on the Odyssey. What he really meant to say was that once I finally got used to all the problems and learned to live with them, I'd be a great customer. Don't buy into the new '05 GC. It's nothing more than a new facade over the same cheap piece of trash it's always been.

#12 ·
I hate when the Newbies hold back...

Tell us what you REALLY think about the GC!! :stupid:

#13 ·
I just checked out the 05 GC at the Columbus auto show the other night. In theory, the fold into the floor second row seems like a good idea..... but I felt the execution was poor. First, the floor seems higher (presumable to accomidate the wells) which reduces overall headroom. The headrests on the folding 2nd row seats were a joke.... they needed to be raised a good 10-12 inches to be of any use whatsoever for an adult. Plus, the well covers for the second row seemed very cheap and plasticky. As I climbed into the van, I felt like my foot was going to fall through the plastic cover into the well. In addition, these covers seemed poorly made and prone to rattles.

Granted, I have not driven the 05 GC, but I was absolutely not impressed.

#14 ·
My wife has a GC as a rental and she said she was always hitting her head getting in and out. She also could not get the drivers seat right, no adjustment without a power seat. the second row is very uncomfortable, I'd rather have great seats that I use all the time and just take the seats out when I need the room. These seat have the same hard vinyl armrests that turned me off in 1990! Remember Honda keeps it simple and lets LX owner's have rear air, a must in any minivan.

#15 ·
Tallpacket, your GC must have been a rare lemon. In all I have read about the GC(A LOT)everyone that has a 02 and up is very happy. They have VERY little to complain about. It seems as though all the "issues' have been worked out. Looking in CR for 02, and 03 tells me they must have improved reliability.

I currently have a 03 Ody. Honda needs to make it MUCH quieter, and ride smother. If you rode in the 05 GC then you would notice the difference. honda also needs to add more features.

Im not sure if honda can make there own version of "sto-n-go". The only way it would work is to raise the floor up. I believe the "trunk" that is formed is 10" deep on the DCX.

#17 ·
Ummmm ... no, I don't think I got a "rare" lemon. I think I got one of many. The name "Dodge" should have been the first clue to run in the opposite direction.

Dodge considers it a lemon if it you get over 100,000 miles out of one of their vehicles and/or it doesn't spend an average of 12 weeks out of the year in the shop. In case you don't think I have anything kind to say about Dodge, you're wrong.

It makes me appreciate my Honda Odyssey much, much, MUCH more.

#18 ·
Come on you guys. Every car manufacturer makes some models that are lemons. Honda is no exception. Check out some of the forums and you will see what I'm talking about.

Honda had a couple of years where the transmissions were very unreliable.

I have a Dodge Grand Caravan that we've owned for 9 years that still looks new inside and out and runs like the day I bought it.

I've pulled a 3300 lb tent camper and 2800 lb. boat with it for every year I've owned it. The only thing I've replaced is the rear vent window motors.

Even today the Dodge Grand Caravan is still the best looking minivan on the road bar none.

IMHO

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.