Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed on the NHTSA web site that the 2002 is being retested, both front and side impact.

I guess I see why the side is being tested with the addition of side airbags, but why the front again?

Somewhat related: why did the Windstar get better rating for *rear* side impact with the addition of *front* side airbags?

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
Apparently, the NHTSA must have felt there were enough significant differences (new transmission?), or it had been long enough since the previous test that the 2002 warranted a new test.

As for the Windstar, I would guess that it is just the inherent variability in the test. So, don't be too surprised if the new Odyssey scores a 4-star rating in one of the tests:-(

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. Makes sense to me. I guess if you do enough tests on (essentially) the same vehicle, you're going to have some variability.

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
No, but most vehicles are usually finished by about now. Ones that are still TBT always make me wonder if something went wrong and there is some "negotiating" with the manufacturer...

Give it a few weeks...

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
no idea...

lack of funding, test hasn't been scheduled yet, test results poor and pressure from Honda to re-test...could be anything...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks. I guess I just assumed that they tested side and front around the same time (obviously different vehicles). It's a bit silly, in my opinion, to have a 2002 model that doesn't get tested until mid-model year, at least in terms of buying decisions.

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
I agree

There are still a number of "TBT", especially for SUVs. I wonder if its a funding issue, or manpower or something like that...

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
Frontal NHTSA tests...

...are likely not to appear on their website until sometime in June.

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
nope, sorry

I had emailed for another reason and happened to ask if they knew when the results would be posted, that's all they said...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts