Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
how many miles were on the car last time it popped up? It seems to pop up based upon when the oil needs to be replaced, so maybe it's waiting for the next time that happens or something

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It had 107K when I bought it and no minders have ever popped up, it still has 40% oil life left, are you supposing that the #4 minder is waiting for my oil to go bad? I would suppose it to pop up when it was needed, but that is an interesting point. What would happen if I reset the oil right now? would the #4 wait until the next oil change to go off? I am so confused.

·
Super Moderator
1,219 Posts
2005EXTexas:

You can preview the next scheduled maintenance minder codes.

When you go to reset the oil life before it reaches 15% oil life, you should still see the maintenance codes that would have appeared if you waited until 15%. Just don't reset the oil life and exit out of the menu.

Let us know what codes show up.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did not know you could preview those. How do you do this? I have only pressed the button to cycle through the menu, how do you preview the maint codes?
thanks,

·
Super Moderator
1,219 Posts
I did not know you could preview those. How do you do this? I have only pressed the button to cycle through the menu, how do you preview the maint codes?
thanks,
Since you have an EX model, it is a little bit harder and there is risk of accidentally resetting the oil life, since you don't have the hard cancel function to stop you, as found on the Touring model. So proceed at your own risk.

See the Maintenance Minder section of your owner's manual:

Resetting the Engine Oil Life Indicator

On LX and EX models

Your dealer will reset the display after completing the required maintenance service. You will see ‘‘OIL LIFE 100%’’ on the odometer/trip meter display the next time you turn the ignition switch to ON (II).

If maintenance service is done by someone other than your dealer, reset the maintenance minder as follows:

1. Turn the ignition switch to ON (II).

2. Press the SELECT/RESET knob until the engine oil life indicator is displayed.

3. Press the SELECT/RESET knob for about 10 seconds. The engine oil life indicator and the maintenance item code(s) will
blink.

TURN OFF THE IGNITION IMMEDIATELY AFTER YOU SEE THE CODES BLINK (OR LET GO OF THE SELECT/RESET KNOB), OR RISK RESETTING THE OIL LIFE.

DO NOT DO THIS NEXT STEP UNLESS YOU WANT TO RESET THE OIL LIFE
4. Press the SELECT/RESET knob
for more than 5 seconds. The
maintenance items code(s) will
disappear, and the engine oil life
indicator will reset to ‘‘100.’’

Good luck.....let us know how it went and the codes that came up.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
It had 107K when I bought it and no minders have ever popped up
Maybe they popped up for the previous owner and they cleared them?

It's an interference engine, so I'd worry less about if it's going to pop up, and more about getting the belt, tensioner, etc. changed.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, so the timing belt/spark plugs are not next @ 110K so far? maybe someone cleared them already? This sucks because I cannot tell from the maintenance history if the timing belt was done, I will have to inspect it myself. Since the number 5 is popping up, is it safe to assume that the number 4 has been cleared at least once?

thanks

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I'd say it's almost certain the 4 has come and gone - if you can reach the original owner, you can ask to see if they had the belt done. (the plugs are due at the same time, so maybe pull a few and see how they look - if they are badly worn, probably not a bad assumption that they weren't changed and the timing belt probably wasn't, either.

if you are going to change the belt, and the water pump, put off changing the coolant until that time since you have to drain the system to replace the water pump.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I would agree that number 4 has come and gone. My next question is this; can you reset the oil life without resetting a maint code? I am asking because maybe the dealer was doing the oil changes and everything is cleared when they reset the oil life.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
The only procedure I know to reset the codes for owners (press the button until the oil life starts flashing, then release it and press and hold until it resets to 100%) clears the codes, too - the service manual mentions two things - first, that you don't want to reset the codes without doing the repair or damage may result, and second, that the HDS which the service techs have is able to reset the oil life monitor separately from the codes. Maybe Hondas tool has something to pull a code history from the vehicle or something like that, too?

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Couple things:

1. "Maintenance Minder" is a mfg's way to remind people to do maintenance on their cars, Good or bad I don't know, but personally, car mfg's do this so the "lazy" people do not have to read the owners' manual to find out what needs to be done.
I have all of those MM in my 1998 Volvo V70, 1998 BMW 528i and 07 Ody.
My recommendations is: do NOT use these MM lights b/c they can be misleading.
The SAFEST way is to do it the "classic way":
- Look up in owners manual what needs to be done at ___ miles.
- Check maintenance records, if not available, check the local Honda dealer(s) to see if they can at least tell you verbally if the Timing Belt was replaced or not.

2. When buying a used cars w/o previous records, you are basically on your own: you need to inspect all components by yourself:
- Suspension, Struts, Shocks
- Timing Belt, WP etc.

HTH

·
Registered
369 Posts
Couple things:

1. "Maintenance Minder" is a mfg's way to remind people to do maintenance on their cars, Good or bad I don't know, but personally, car mfg's do this so the "lazy" people do not have to read the owners' manual to find out what needs to be done.
I have all of those MM in my 1998 Volvo V70, 1998 BMW 528i and 07 Ody.
My recommendations is: do NOT use these MM lights b/c they can be misleading.
The SAFEST way is to do it the "classic way":
- Look up in owners manual what needs to be done at ___ miles.
- Check maintenance records, if not available, check the local Honda dealer(s) to see if they can at least tell you verbally if the Timing Belt was replaced or not.

2. When buying a used cars w/o previous records, you are basically on your own: you need to inspect all components by yourself:
- Suspension, Struts, Shocks
- Timing Belt, WP etc.

HTH
By now we should all have noticed OEM’s are stepping away from “normal” and “severe” maintenance schedules per the manual and FIXED mileages for each. That’s not true to life at all, it’s a best guess.

OEMS’s are producing more and more products with “customized” schedules by using complex algorithms via inputs from the cars various sensors.

“Lazy people” are the majority in the USA. I don’t think I need to provide any proof of that. Not many want to constantly check the manual to find out if they are following the right maintenance schedule. I sure don’t.

Personally, I like the automatic reminders. If I opt to veer from it, that’s my option. But I do like being reminded to do things, automatically, and per my own habits.

In the future, I actually hope the car/van will spell out what its warning, not just flash a light with a code to dig up. That I do not like.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts