Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those who are interested in a serious and authoritative discussion RELATED to the need to change brake fluid because of the loss of corrosion protection, I recommend this artice from SAE. You may need to create an account that limits you to 100 free articles per month. I think that's actually a safety feature, as exceeding it could cause death from boredom.馃槾

The first 1.5 pages are what's really on the point of "why". But read the full thing in lieu of Ambien.

Teaser: It also answers why our 50+ years of experience is not a reliable base for current and future best practices.

Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
Teaser: It also answers why our 50+ years of experience is not a reliable base for current and future best practices.
Shhh...don't tell Scotty Kilmer!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
  • Haha
Reactions: WiiMaster

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Scotty has his place. So does the National Enquirer.

Reactions: 0dyfamily

Registered
Man, that research paper is informative. The first graph (Figure 1) seems important; reserve alkalinity (essentially, corrosion protection) depletes to a low value over 24 months, then slowly (if at all, from a measuring capability standpoint) continues to drop after that.

The table that follows (Table 2) describes several different OEM brake fluids. I wish they named them; some do a better job than others at the 36-month point.

Figure 3 has me thinking. It seems at 30 months of use, brake fluid corrosion protection is fairly depleted. One might question their protocol for "aging" fluid in their lab, but then they later describe the process and then show direct comparison between dissolved metals results for "lab aged" brake fluid and that which was used in a regular car.

These engineers are pretty accurate, and it appears their results (using a lab aging protocol of the brake fluid to be tested) are repeatable (precise).

In short, they prove that 36 months is not a bad time to replace brake fluid, and might even be a tad late!

This is definitely not "Scotty Kilmer stuff."

OF

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In short, they prove that 36 months is not a bad time to replace brake fluid, and might even be a tad late!
Which could point to a POSSIBLE superiority of genuine Honda brake fluid. They MAY spec corrosion inhibitors exceeding the minimum required by DOT and SAE standards. If they do, I wish they would say so.

Registered
Which could point to a POSSIBLE superiority of genuine Honda brake fluid. They MAY spec corrosion inhibitors exceeding the minimum required by DOT and SAE standards. If they do, I wish they would say so.
Could be just like the Honda Z-1 ATF proclaimed superiority over any other ATF such as Amsoil, Valvoline, etc ATF's. hahahaha
Buffalo4

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think the biggest problem with Z-1 was that it came in a poorly engineered Honda transmission.

Accepting the common belief that it's little different from Dexron III, it would have been fine in an Aisin tranny specifying Dexron III.

Registered
2007 Odyssey EX-L
I really need to get my brake fluid changed. Last time it was changed was in 2013.....

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Why go to all the hassle and expense? Just trade it in for a new one.

• Haha
Reactions: jnissen and jiantao

Registered
All of this makes me want to do the following:

• Stick with replacing the brake fluid every three years.
  • When I do my annual "0dyfamily fleet service", just drain/refill the brake fluid reservoir.

OF

Reactions: akbrush

Registered
All of this makes me want to do the following:

• Stick with replacing the brake fluid every three years.
  • When I do my annual "0dyfamily fleet service", just drain/refill the brake fluid reservoir.

OF
Might want to drain and fill the PS fluid reservoir while you're at it. :)
Buffalo4
PS: I put speed bleeders on my Ody which really helps with a one person bleed but I still haven't gotten around to bleeding them again since. Damn!! Whoops. Football is on now. Bye. :D

Registered
When I do my annual "0dyfamily fleet service", just drain/refill the brake fluid reservoir.
You were the guy who got me going on these regular "drain and refills." My old "flushing" days at the corner shop are over. It started with engine oil, moved to the ATF, then the power steering fluid, the radiator coolant, and the brake fluid reservoir. I have to catch myself or I'll be doing the tires next. Kind of obsessive since I'm thinking of upgrading this Ody to a 2010 LX.

Registered
Way off the brake fluid topic, but I just had to pipe in...

...OU and UT just stumbled over each other and offered no defense. I was surprised that the score wasn't 155 to 148 instead of the final of 55 to 48.

Methinks OU is going to regret their move to the SEC when they face a powerhouse ranked southern team.

Back to brakes....

Might want to drain and fill the PS fluid reservoir while you're at it. :)
Buffalo4
PS: I put speed bleeders on my Ody which really helps with a one person bleed but I still haven't gotten around to bleeding them again since. Damn!! Whoops. Football is on now. Bye. :D
The foosball is da devil!

Yes, I'm an annual-drain/refill-the-PSF-reservoir guy, too. My regimen, which will now include brake fluid this spring:
  • Oil and filter change
  • Drain PSF reservoir (use a turkey baster), refill
  • ATF drain/refill (every second year)
  • Drain brake fluid reservoir (use a different turkey baster), refill --- full bleed every third year? May be able to put that off another year due to annual drain/refills of the reservoir?
  • Coolant....man, that's the one I've paid attention to the least. Drain/refill radiator every third year, with the brake fluid service? It's pretty easy.
Since I did my timing belts 60,000 miles ago on both Odys, including the one I sold, they might be due for a coolant refresh...but I replaced the thermostat on my 2002 Ody not too long ago, should be good. Our Accords were serviced with new coolant in the last year. Out of our trio of Civics, two have never been serviced (both just over 110,000 miles), one got a new radiator last year (and fresh coolant) before we bought it, and my TL was serviced regularly by my brother, the former owner.

Well, I've got 3 gallons of Honda Type 2 Coolant in the garage; get some more, use that on the Accords and Civics.

Got 4 gallons of Nissan blue long-life also sitting in the garage, which I'll use on our ancient Acura and even older Odyssey.

Trying to make it so that I only do this stuff in the spring time, when the weather gets nice.

OF

Registered
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think you may be the man to solve a mystery for me: Why did Honda go from green to blue, but keep the name Type 2? It's been keeping me awake for years!

Registered
It was GREEN in a previous iteration???!

Damnit, now I'm going to be up all night thinking about that. No idea, either, man!

First, that article on brake fluid corrosion inhibitors. Now, Honda Type 2 coolant went from green to blue.

Enough to drive a fella to drinking.

OF

Registered
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yup, when I bought my '02 in May 2002, I bought a gallon for topping off. Green!

Here's a quick search result. Unattributed, but since it's only commentary, not instructions for future steps, it's enough for me. I assume there was a problem with people seeing green and thinking "Good old Prestone, like I used in my '49 Buick."

A 2004 service bulletin introduced the new blue coolant which is used in ALL Hondas now. The bulletin also says that they ARE compatible so if you need to top off your Honda green, blue is OK to use.

Registered
May be able to put that off another year due to annual drain/refills of the reservoir?
I wouldn't.

Water is heavier than brake fluid. So moisture in the fluid will migrate to the lowest point in the system, the calipers, beyond the range of your reservoir refresh.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts