Honda Odyssey Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Water is heavier than brake fluid.
I thought that BF being hygroscopic meant they mixed. Like the ethanol in gasoline has been a big part of making drygas obsolete.

Reactions: 0dyfamily

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
You guys have me convinced. Just going to stick with 3 years. I've got that DIY pressure bleeding setup, it makes the whole job go really, really fast, and I have Motive Products adapters for our vehicles. No sense in putting it off.

OF

·
Registered
9,871 Posts
I thought that BF being hygroscopic meant they mixed.
Yes, moisture mixes with the brake fluid. But the moisture remains in the form of water molecules suspended in the brake fluid. As such, they are free to move around. So gravity eventually pulls them downward.

You compared this with ethanol in gasoline. The same principle applies. The heavier ethanol will eventually separate from the gasoline and congregate at the bottom of the fuel tank. That's why ethanol gasoline cannot be stored for long.

Reactions: Pixburd54

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
So, it's an emulsion, not a...whatever. The different fluids retain their individual characteristics and may stratify based on differing specific gravities. Got it, I think.

And given the screens in most BF reservoirs, you can't get the turkey baster down to where the heavier molecules are. So, the moisture is there, surrounding the port at the top of he MC, waiting first in line to be sent out toward the wheels.

·
Registered
534 Posts
And given the screens in most BF reservoirs, you can't get the turkey baster down to where the heavier molecules are. So, the moisture is there, surrounding the port at the top of he MC, waiting first in line to be sent out toward the wheels.
After looking at a myriad of "turkey basters" on Amazon, can anyone recommend one for PS and brake fluids?

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
I just go to the Dollar General and buy a couple.

OF

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Or Dollar Tree. For a buck, you can even treat as disposable if so inclined. (Yes, I know they're adding 1.25 and 1.50 price points, but I'll bet a buck they stay a dollar.)

·
Registered
310 Posts
Yes, moisture mixes with the brake fluid. But the moisture remains in the form of water molecules suspended in the brake fluid. As such, they are free to move around. So gravity eventually pulls them downward.
This is also why the usual problem you get from not changing your BF is that your brake caliper pistons rust in place and stop working. Water works it's way to the lowest point in the system, the calipers, and corrodes the iron parts in the system.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Im not diving too deep into technical analysis but the way I understand it is if the fluid darkens that means there is moisture trapped in it and we all know moisture causes corrosion and in a brake system can cause safety issues in extreme conditions.
I change mine when it looks like it needs it, putting the car on 4 jackstands, with the right rear not only being bled first, but positioned on the stands slightly lower, with the left front slightly higher and bled last. Positioning the car as such allows any air bubble to migrate to the master cylinder and out. I have a mightyvac hand pump it has a tube in a jar thingy as well making this a one man almost foolproof job.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I thought that BF being hygroscopic meant they mixed. Like the ethanol in gasoline has been a big part of making drygas obsolete.
Im waiting for cars to come out that use hypergolic flex fuels. Should be a lot of fun at the pump.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I change mine when it looks like it needs it
Which, I'm guessing, comes from the damage happening to the brake components because of the fall off in level of corrosion inhibitor. To me, the logic is as compelling as saying I change my oil when I see the ground up bearing inserts on the dipstick. But, I'm a radical, giving credence to the Honda maint. schedule. 😱

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Im waiting for cars to come out that use hypergolic flex fuels. Should be a lot of fun at the pump.
I thought your first vehicle ran on that stuff. Sure looked like it on TV. C'mon, man, get with it!

·
Registered
9,871 Posts
hypergolic flex fuels
Had to look that one up ("igniting spontaneously on mixing with another substance") :) :)

Actually, kind of appropriate on the day of another successful Blue Origin flight. (y)

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
Yup, when you pull in, you're between two pumps.

Pump the DMH (dimethylhydrazine) into the left tank.

The right side pump has a QD coupling on a hose for your load of LOX (this way, you can't mix it up).

Make sure everybody is clear of the rocket nozzle at the back of your Odyssey before starting the turbopump to mix your propellants (thus creating the goodness of powerful combustion).

For this, you'd better take care of the damned brakes (and the brake fluid) if you're not sporting a drag chute.

Automotive tire Car Hood Vehicle Automotive lighting

Besides changing his brake fluid regularly, Batman made it a point to ensure drag chutes at the ready whenever he hit the button to mix his hypergolic propellants and fire up that cool rocket motor on the Batmobile.

OF

• Haha
Reactions: davedrivesody

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I would think that by now they would have implemented thrust reversers.

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
The Blue Origin spacecraft uses conventional disc brakes to slow down.

Does Elon Musk make sure the brake fluid is changed out tri-annually? Damned straight!

Dress shirt Motor vehicle Beard Engineering Font

OF

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Well, that settles it! End of discussion.

• Haha
Reactions: 0dyfamily
21 - 38 of 38 Posts