Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading all of the praises of the Zaino products. I have been using Meguiars for years and have been satisfied, so why should I switch? Zaino seems really expensive and a lot of work (24 hour drying times, tons of layers), so I am a little aprehensive on making a purchase. I have started a thread in the Group Buy section to see if anyone else wants to buy some Zaino if I decide to buy it. On past group buys, what sort of discount should I be expecting? Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions.

·
Registered
747 Posts
I had the same question, but decided to give it a try to find out for myself. To me the main factor for trying it is that it is not a traditional wax. Instead it is some sort of polymer. All of the good things I have heard about it is how "shiny" it leaves the car. My impression after using it in a non - show car application, it seemed about the same as using a good traditional wax. My primary goal was to find something that lasts longer than the 2 or 3 months of any traditional waxes I have used. I only put it on my 2 cars about 1-1/2 months ago. So far so good, but will let you know in 6 months or so. As far as the application goes, it was very easy. The drying times only come into play if it is cold/damp. I did it in about 80deg and it dried in 30min-1hr. It came off as easy as any wax I have used.

In terms of the gloss, optical properties, ect, it is apparently good. Check out http://www.thewaxtest.com for a comparison on many waxes for many features.

It is pretty expensive though. I spent about $50 for the "setup".

Don't know if this helps you or not, just my experience in your situation.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am surprised at how little of a response I have received on this topic. I was expecting to get some good info from lots of Zaino customers. Thank you DavidGSR for your response.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Funny you should ask. Just finished putting Zaino on my third vehicle in the last three days. I've never used such a fabulous product and I've waxed a lot of cars in my time. Easy to use, good results, very happy with this product. Zainoed the Ody day before yesterday. Its 11 months old and never been waxed. Color is TW. I clayed the whole thing, then applied two coats of Z2. When my wife took it to the store, she put her hand on the tailgate to push it closed. Her hand slipped off and she almost fell down-the finish is super slick. I also used it on my red 1965 P1800 Volvo finish, which I thought was dead (I had taken it to a detail shop to see if they could restore the finish, but they told me the paint was shot). I can't believe how nice the paint now looks, and with a minimum amount of effort.

I'll also admit that when I got my order in from the last group buy, I was pretty skeptical, and felt that it was a rip off. The bottles are really small. Didn't think you got much for your $50 worth of stuff. However, I've done the Ody twice all over (and the hood and front fenders about five times), plus did some of the P1800, and still have around 2/3 of a bottle left, so it really goes a long way.

Still don't know how long it lasts, how it holds up, but wow, what a nice finish, and without a lot of rubbing and buffing. Highly recommend this product to anyone thinking about using it. I'd definitely buy this product again and will be throwing away my collection of various car waxes that are laying around in my garage cabinets.

·
Registered
10 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Bruno1453:
I am surprised at how little of a response I have received on this topic. I was expecting to get some good info from lots of Zaino customers. Thank you DavidGSR for your response.</font>
Zaino has been talked about quite often here on the board. It generally receives rave reviews. Consider using the search capability of the forum, you'll find more Zaino comments than you want!

Regards,

Maugham/Brillig

·
Registered
9 Posts
I use Meguiars and I have no complaints at all. I have heard great things about Zaino, and I am sure it works great, but the higher costs, trying to order it, and some of the application issues one needs to go through (waiting several hours, applying several coats, etc) is a determining factor that prohibits me from buying it....in short...I just don't have the time. Here is a side by side comparison of Meguiars and Zaino that shows the pros and cons of both. From what I've read...they both are great.

http://pages.sbcglobal.net/gheumann/zaino_test/

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think that I am going to end up with the Meguiars Gold Class products. Zaino products sound really nice, but like others, I cannot justify the additional costs and time required. Plus here in Colorado, it would be a long time before it is warm enough to apply Zaino, and I have done Gold Class in the winter with no problems. (You just do it outside and let the sun warm up the car body.) Thank for everyone's posts on this topic. I appreciate it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
With all the Zaino enthusiasts out there....it's just comforting to read someone else aside from me that uses Meguiars. It is probably the priciest "off the shelf" product they have but I think it gives more "bang for the buck"....kinda like our ODY : ) I would love to try Zaino just to see for myself but my new kid and job prohibits me from dedicating the time to do so. I'm lucky enough to have the time to wash the big darn thing : )

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
I switched from Meguiar's to Zaino. I actually think the Zaino's give the best bang for the buck. It's lasted a long time so far (a few months) and you use very little of the product.

I used Meguiar's 3 step products after using their Gold for a long time. Zaino's was so good that I gave away all of my Meguiar's.

Use what you feel comfortable with. If you're ever in Houston, drop buy and I'll let you check out the Ody and the Zaino products.

------------------
Jim
'01 GG EX w/stuff
'93 Nissan Sentra SE-R with more stuff

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have been tempted by this Zaino stuff too, but like one poster on the thread, I know I don't have the patience to do careful detailing.

I have used Nu-Finish (kiquid for ease of application) for years it is inexpensive, to my non-show-car-judge eyes, it leaves a great gloss, but, most importantly, a coat will last over a year.

I started work at a new company that compelled my 93 black Maxima to be out all day in the Houston sun. April 2000 I last waxed it. It now is starting to fail to bead up in a rain storm. I should do it more often, but that stuff, on my cars, has been good for a year time and again.

John

1 - 10 of 10 Posts