Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[the message moved here from inside some other thread]

Reading all the horror stories from US about paying MSRP++ and waiting for months for a new Ody, I wonder why the life in Canada is so much more beautiful? :)
I cannot say I'm an experienced car buyer, but with the help of Internet tips and tricks I have been able to buy my Ody a month ago for about $2000 CDN below MSRP (that's about $800 CDN above the invoice, $1 US ~ $1.5 CDN). It took me FIVE minutes to seal the deal (from opening the dealership door) in the second (arbitrary choice) dealership I've ever contacted. Not to mention that MSRP in Canada (converted to USD) is significantly lower than in US. Then, I drove away in my Ody eight days after signing a deal.

Is that all somehow related to the fact that Odys were assembled in Canada? Or anything else is a factor? Just curious.

[This message has been edited by DP (edited 08-25-2001).]

·
Registered
117 Posts
While it is true that we may have an easier time buying here as far as supply goes, I am not sure that the overall picture is that great...

- in Ontario it is illegal to sell a car for more than MSRP... so I am sure this helps a little in the pricing and negotiating
- we cannot get some of the models available in the US which is a royal pain - bring on NAVI and RES.
- having worked in the US with my company I know that the salaries there are higher than ours for the most part (for identical positions - sorry Jean.... but its true), and taxes are significantly lower. Therefore the cost of an Odyssey as a percentage of income is probably lower in the US (are there any accountants in the crowd??).

That said.... I much prefer Canada.... but bring on RES!!

Cheers...

Gary

------------------
2002 MB EX-L RES (on order... ready to cancel as RES not available in Canada)
1998 EX-V6 Accord
1988 Si-4WS Prelude...... looks like I get to keep you longer... ahh something positive at least!!

·
Registered
33 Posts
I got similar pricing. Dealers in Toronto are very competitive.

------------------
01 SS EX
98 BMW 528i

[This message has been edited by winsonchan (edited 08-25-2001).]

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Snowfanatic:
We are in the market for an Odyssey as a ski van. Would you be willing to share the name of the dealer and sales rep?
</font>
Number 7 Honda, Woodbridge (Hwy 7/Martin Grove)
http://www.number7honda.com

Sales rep:
Varant Ohanisian (905)851-2258 Ext.248

·
Registered
301 Posts
I think the MSRP that Honda uses does factor in average per capita incomes in their market target group. This probably accounts for the price difference. Also the Canadian market had a less tight supply during 2000/2001 when production was increased.

I also bought my Odyssey for $1500 under MSRP without dealer installed options. I also got a 7yr/160,000 km Honda care warranty with a money back gaurentee if I don't use it.
And being in Alberta I don't pay provincial sales tax.
Honda also had me sign an agreement that I was not buying this van to sell in the US.

So what if it is cheaper to buy the Odyssey here? Have you tried to buy aftermarket accessories???? Our dollar is has been mismanaged by our politicians too long!!!

·
Registered
483 Posts
DP:
Didn't you say in another post that you were able to get dealers' invoice? Was it carcostcanada.comor from somewhere else? We're planning on buying a 2002 (still can't decide whether it's SS or RRP) and hopefully can arrange a group buy. I need all the ammo I can get to get a better price.
Thanks.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Kuruma Hayai:
Didn't you say in another post that you were able to get dealers' invoice? Was it carcostcanada.comor from somewhere else? </font>
Yes, that was 3-vehicle invoice price package from www.carcostcanada.com, for $29.95 CDN.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Would you mind sharing the Canadian invoice price on the EX? Thanks.

What is the sales tax in Canada? At an MSRP of US$4,000 below US prices I could deal with the hassle of going up to Canada and arranging for delivery. Thanks again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts