Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Sure, they're fine too.

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
I have used both......Always seem to get better deals from Discount tire.......TR kinda expensive

·
Registered
355 Posts
Re: Why TireRack

cygnus said:
I always seem to hear all about TireRack.com
Because they advertise the most on on-line automotive forums, have great customer service, and they give you the ability to see the rim on your car on-line. That said Discount Tire is great too. Also most shops will match either of their prices and sometimes beat them. It just depends on what you want and who has it.

·
Registered
3,974 Posts
Re: Re: Why TireRack

Greg Stoddard said:
That said Discount Tire is great too. Also most shops will match either of their prices and sometimes beat them. It just depends on what you want and who has it.
I have a discount tire store right down the street. I just priced out a set of tires for my Pilot at the Discount Tire web site and at Discount Tire Direct. Even with shipping, Direct was cheaper. If I just go to the store down the street, who has the tires in stock, will they honor the price of the Direct web site?

Also, is the TPMS kit really necessary? I thought the TPMS was built into the wheel, but both sites "recommend" the kit. Direct sells them for $8 each...while the store site lists them for $20 each!!!

·
Registered
355 Posts
The kit is a rebuild kit, not new sensors. You don't really need it but it is a good idea just for preventative measures.

As for price matching, the folks at my local Discount Tire have always done so. I generally give them the chance to do so because I like their work and how they take care of the car. They have never let me down. Sometimes they will be slightly higher but I consider it worth it to have that 'local relationship' if something goes wrong or I need help. Of the last 5 sets of tires I've gotten for various cars only the ones for my xB weren't bought from them and that was only due to them not carrying the rims I wanted.

·
Super Moderator
13,475 Posts
My local discount tire store matches the price but I am still on the hook for the 8.25% tax that I do not pay to the discount tire direct site. They're happy to mount the tires I bring em (with the tire direct labels and all) and I generally buy online.

The reason TireRack is mentioned in all forums is because of its excellent tire feedback system. If you want real world ratings on the tires, they're the only site that have that. I always research my tires on TR and then usually wind up buying them on DTD.

But DTD carries a LOT less tires than TR so if you want something specific, TR would have it but DTD won't.

·
Registered
3,974 Posts
dvpatel said:
My local discount tire store matches the price but I am still on the hook for the 8.25% tax that I do not pay to the discount tire direct site. They're happy to mount the tires I bring em (with the tire direct labels and all) and I generally buy online.
Crap....unfortunately, I'm in Ohio where one of the DTD warehouses is located....so I'm stuck paying the sales tax regardless.

·
Super Moderator
13,475 Posts
psu ody fan said:
Crap....unfortunately, I'm in Ohio where one of the DTD warehouses is located....so I'm stuck paying the sales tax regardless.
You're good then. Just take a print out of the DTD site and they would match without problems.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I don't dislike DT but around here they are so popular they have a huge line que up and you can wait there a LONG time. Their prices are not all that special, but good. I used TR as it was cheaper and they had a lot of selection, and they ship next day from nearby LA, and I avoid 8.25% sales tax - although shipping eats that up, the prices are still good. They have NTB on the installer list and there's not much of a wait there as they are losing the tire war to Dt and Walmart, Costco, Sams, etc.

My Kuhmos were not available at DTD without special order, but arrived next day from TR.

:D

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
I took my iPad to discount tire and showed them the tirerack (I've bought tires from them before) price, they matched the tire price + shipping, which is fair.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Yea, I just had upgraded to 18's and they didn't have a tire in stock that I liked even with price match.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
I prefer to use a good locally owned tire shop. The one I frequent carries several different brands including Cooper (which I've had great luck with), has long-term staff working on my vehicle, and so far the prices are as good or better than these big-boxes. I just ordered a set of Michelins for my Pathfinder...Tirerack was $847 delivered, DT is $867 ($54 tax here in OH), and my local store is $905 MOUNTED/balanced/tax. So unless I find somewhere to mount/balance four tires you bring through the door for $58...I'm missing the "deal".

1 - 14 of 14 Posts