Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A little help with some basics please. (It's easier to be ignorant on the World Wide Web than at the local speed shop.

#1 Why are alloys more desireable than steel wheels? If it is more than asthetics, is any performance gain likely to be noticed by soccer moms and dads on a 4000-lb minivan?

#2 What is the appeal of going to 17" or 18" wheels? I assume this requires a lower profile tire which stiffens the sidewall, but also gives a harsher ride, but is this assumption way off base?

#3 Is the value of upgraded wheels likely to be recognized on resale of an Ody?

#4 If the aforementioned soccer mom is prone to curb scrapes, are alloys a bad idea?

#5 All else being equal, how much of a change in offset is significant? If 5mm or 10mm is added/subtracted is it noticeable or risky?

Anything else I should know before making an appearance at the speed shop?
Thanks all!

------------------
Ben
2001 LX, GG, mud guards, cargo tray, keyless remote, CD player, Blaupunkt speakers

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
Here's my 2 cents:
#1 Why are alloys more desireable than steel wheels? If it is more than asthetics, is any performance gain likely to be noticed by soccer moms and dads on a 4000-lb minivan?
Aside from looks, weight plays a big part here although there are alloys out there that are as heavy or heavier than the stock wheels.If you drive the van like in performance type of way every now and then, you may notice a difference.Maybe gas mileage too.
#2 What is the appeal of going to 17" or 18" wheels? I assume this requires a lower profile tire which stiffens the sidewall, but also gives a harsher ride, but is this assumption way off base?
Harsher ride in some cases. Although after hearing from other members here who have upgraded, not much.
I guess it also depends on the buyer.What he's looking for and what he knows in terms of aftermarket wheels.
#4 If the aforementioned soccer mom is prone to curb scrapes, are alloys a bad idea?
From my experience, YES. I had 2 different sets of alloys on my Civic and the wife put dings on both sets. And that was one reason why I still haven't gotten aftermarkets for our Ody.

#5 All else being equal, how much of a change in offset is significant? If 5mm or 10mm is added/subtracted is it noticeable or risky?
I beleive if you search for past discussions about this, the offset isn't risky nor that noticeable.
Anything else I should know before making an appearance at the speed shop?
Other than what you have mentioned, you might want to cehck out some sites like tire rack or discount tires. They have some helpfull hints.

Good luck !

------------------
-ROB-
'01 GG LX "Lagreat"(with lotsa stuff.S-T-U-F-F)

http://community.webshots.com/album/18601743AkjQIJiKqK

[This message has been edited by hachiroku (edited 01-06-2002).]

[This message has been edited by hachiroku (edited 01-06-2002).]

·
Registered
478 Posts
Great questions-which Rob (hachiroku) has covered pretty well.
However, I have .02 of my own (total of .04?) FWIW.

First, as mentioned, check out http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech/wheeltech.htm for some real good answers to some of your questions.

In addition:
Any performance gain due to lighter weight may be offset by the larger wheel/tire size people often use when going to aftermarket wheels. For example, on my Ody, the stock wheels (alloys) and tires weighed 45.5 lbs each. The wheel/tire combo I have now weighs 51 lbs. which could have a slightly detrimental effect on performance-mainly acceleration. Of course, the stock wheels were alloy to begin with so...
Is the performance difference really an issue on a minivan? Not in my case at least-any loss of performance is more than made up for by the improvement in appearance. The handling performance is also enhanced by the use of the larger, more aggressive tires.

Your assumption is generally correct, but the appeal is a combination of looks/performance enhancement. As with most mods, there is a compromise to some degree depending on your choice. For me, the ride vs. looks/handling trade-off was well worth it (i.e. still "rides" just fine!)

Hmmmm...yeah, it depends on the potential buyer but personally I don't really consider that when buying aftermarket wheels.

I agree with Rob-yeah, probably not a good idea if that is a problem. Although with the right rim width and tire size, you can have enough sidewall to protect the rim edge to some degree. With low profile 17 or 18" tires, you typically don't have as much protective "bulge" though, so curbs are a potential hazard!

It depends-my wheels are +40mm offset compared to +50mm stock so they "stick out" about 3/4" more than a stock wheel, plus they are slightly wider too. Is it a problem? No, not at all in my case. Obviously, there are variables to be considered (is your car/van lowered, how much room is there between suspension parts and fender lip etc.) Best bet is to stay as close to stock offset IMO, but as Rob mentioned, check out the tirerack.com site and others for more good advice!

Hope this helps!

------------------
'02 RP EX NAV
Mudguards,cargo tray,Weathertech mats, lampguards, gold emblems,
17" TSW Spirit wheels with 235/55 Dunlop Sport A2 tires
"Nothing you do for children is ever wasted" G.Keillor

[This message has been edited by ody (edited 01-06-2002).]

·
1,484 Posts
Time to chuck in a penny or two...

I know alloy is a very strong (but heavier) type of metal. Stronger than regular steel, or so I've heard. My guess is alloys don't dent as easy but it doesn't necessarily mean it's totally curb-proof. Probably the worst you'll get are some scratches and scuffs.

Some people here have stated some of there concerns of going outside the factory's offset. I myself have wheels that slightly stick out further than the EX wheels but its too earlier for me to say whether or not they are causing problems. Maybe you should ask that question to your local speed shop.

-Nestor

------------------

2000 CCS EX-NAVI

·
Registered
596 Posts
For me, the main reason to change wheels is cosmetic. If you go to a somewhat wider base wheel, you will gain some handling stability, with some additional ride harshness, tire pressures remaining equal.

In the area of tires, the main reason for a change is safety. The vans come with fairly competent tires, with the "T" speed rating, but, I am more comfortable with an "H" rating, since that will be a tire with an "A" temperature rating. If you travel the interstates of the desert southwest (or other hot places), you should have the most heat tolerant tire you can get. That's where Phord got into trouble with their Exploders. The used a "C" temperature rated rag of a tire and then were surprised when they blew out.

Of course, a larger contact patch is always good, for handling, although it can cost you a few drops of fuel, due to rolling resistance, depending upon the tire used.

Wheel offsets should be carefully considered, since a set-up with the wheel outboard of the stock location can add extra loading to wheel bearings and other suspension components and certainly give your dealer an "out" when it comes to any warranty work on the suspension.

All of the above has been said before, but, I just thought a coupla more cents on the subject wouldn't hurt.

Jerry O.

------------------
2001 Odyssey GG LX

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Two words: unsprung weight. Wheels are unsprung weight, and any reduction thereof markedly increases handling. I have forgotten the equivalent of unsprung to sprung, but eliminating one pound of unsprung weight is like eliminating several pounds of sprung weight.

------------------
2002 TW EX; Weathertechs; Splash; 4X Pioneer 1695's w/ Blaupunkt Casablanca head unit; Hella Supertone Horns; Hitch w/ Transmission & Power Steering Coolers; 2001 Five-spoke Alloy Wheels.
2000 Honda CBR 929 RR
Honda "Masters" GXV140, 135 cc. mower

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, I believe the suspension (and resultant handling) benefit most from any reduction in unsprung weight. With less wheel mass to deal with, the suspension recovers quicker and maintains better road contact with less wheel mass to deal with. Thanks for the reminder, as I had not thought about this for many years.
Are magnesium "mag" wheels still around or is the fire hazard prohibitive? Maybe on the racing circuit?
Not much discussion or concern about weight specs so it seems that alloy wheels are primarily purchased for appearance, as attested in the previous post by ody.

Thanks for all the good posts on this.

------------------
Ben
2001 LX, GG, mud guards, cargo tray, keyless remote, CD player, Blaupunkt speakers

·
Registered
596 Posts
Yes, reducing unsprung weight is good, but, I think in today's market, most of the wheels are built for looks, forgetting the physics. Only exotic racing wheels are going to do much in the weight reduction area and the cost would be too much for most soccerbus geeks.

Jerry O.

------------------
2001 Odyssey GG LX

·
Registered
478 Posts
Good info here guys! That's one of the things that makes this site a pleasure to be a part of

Yes, unsrung weight is very important to performance-braking and handling as well as acceleration. Simple physics. That's why I mentioned it in my response to point #1 earlier. Wheels vary in weight by quite a bit in a given size. Construction methods play a big part (multi-piece vs. one piece, forged vs. cast etc.). There are some very lightweight wheels out there (eg. Volk, some of the Racing Harts and so on) but they do get costly and whether or not it's worth it on a minivan is questionable IMO. I have some very lightweight Racing Harts on my Accord (18") and they are still heavier than the stock tire/wheel combo. What a lot of people forget is that the larger tires can be quite a bit heavier too!

------------------
'02 RP EX NAV
Mudguards,cargo tray,Weathertech mats, lampguards, gold emblems,
17" TSW Spirit wheels with 235/55 Dunlop Sport A2 tires
"Nothing you do for children is ever wasted" G.Keillor

[This message has been edited by ody (edited 01-08-2002).]

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hey, The guys here say that the steel rims are stronger than the alloy. I don't know.
I don't kiss my rims to often, so the other alloy wheeled trucks I've owned looked so pitted It was beyond repair. I'd prob. be better off with a plastic cover.... That is until I park in the streets of NJ where I hear they don't last to long. Seems like know one has hub caps in NJ. hehe

·
Registered
596 Posts
Fancy wheels and tires appear to be mainly a California thing. Most of the replies came from thatta way, any way.

Fred

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by FW_in_OKC:
Fancy wheels and tires appear to be mainly a California thing. Most of the replies came from thatta way, any way.

Fred
</font>
Uhhhhh...ok...and ?????????

------------------
-ROB-
'01 GG LX "Lagreat"(with lotsa stuff.S-T-U-F-F)

http://community.webshots.com/album/18601743AkjQIJiKqK

[This message has been edited by hachiroku (edited 01-29-2002).]

·
Registered
169 Posts
wheels and tires

I'm really late to this post, but I would like to add to the excellent posts that tire load rating should also be considered. The Ody is a van that will be subject to (at least sometimes) heavy loads of passengers, gear, towing?
My .02

·
Registered
37 Posts
Has anyone actually weighed the stock tire w/steel wheel and compared it to the stock tire w/alloy wheel? Just curious if there is any appreciable performance difference considering that we are all driving a 4300 pound breadbox...I meant Odyssey!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts