Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know the width and offset of the stock rims on an EX? I want to use this as a baseline for my aftermarket selection.

I'm thinking 17" rims. Will 18s fit?

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
What's interesting is "V-spec" is a Nissan designation like "Type-R" is for Honda.

------------------
Jim
'01 GG EX

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Apparently, 18s will fit.

Also, another very nice kit. I sent him e-mail inquiring and inviting him to the forum. (It seems the kama'ainas really like Odysseys.)

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Still trying to identify the width and offset of the stock rims. I suppose it may be in the factory manual that I ordered.

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
I've flipped through the FSM a few times. I can't find specs on the wheels.

------------------
Jim
'01 GG EX

·
Registered
276 Posts
Width is 6.5" and offset is 114mm (4.5"). Width is stamped on the wheel (16x6.5JJ) and offset can be measured by putting a piece of straight wood or metal on the inner lip and the distance from it and the wheel hub is your offset.

Here is a list of possible wheel/tire size combination:
Width Ratio Wheel Circ. %
215 65 16 27" 100%
215 60 17 27.16" 100.57%
230 55 17 26.96" 99.84%
225 50 18 26.86" 99.46%
230 50 18 27.06" 100.19%

Above combinations would not mess up the speedometer, but if you plan to lower the car, don't change the wheels until you do because you want to make sure the new wheels/tires would clear the fenderwells and gas filler tube unless you stick with 215 width.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks hgani. I was just asking about such things under the topic on my possible wheel choices.

Actually, I believe offset is usually identified with respect to the centerline. Using your numbers I get just over 31mm. That seems right; Discount Tire Direct shows wheels with offsets from 35mm to 42mm in 7" or 7.5" widths.

Now I should be able calculate how much further out or in a possible wheel choice will be.

·
Registered
276 Posts
You are correct, I was thinking of back spacing. I just did a rough measurement on my wheel and came up with an offset of about 40-42mm.
I would not use Discount Tire Direct tire size recommendation, they recommend tire sizes that are too small in diameter.

Update: there is an auction going on right now for 17" wheels (+42mm offset) that will fit Odyssey,
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=570075607

[This message has been edited by hgani (edited 03-21-2001).]

·
Registered
134 Posts
We still haven't definitively answered the stock offset or backspacing questions. Sorry I don't have the answers. And with the '02 s wider rims, I don't know if Honda went with a different offset, but I doubt it. It appears the offset is +40, others say +50. Autotrix.com says ET 40 whatever that means. If you go with a wider-than-stock rim of course your backpacing # will change, but your offset should not. Handling problems will result. Here's a link for a lesson in wheel fitment.

http://www.autotrixx.com/info.html

------------------
'91 Sentra SE-R
'57 Chevy Belair Sport Coupe.
If at first you don't succeed...so much for skydiving.

·
Registered
478 Posts
The offset on the stock wheel (at least for an '02 alloy) is 50 mm-it's stamped right on the back of the wheel.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Well it looks like we have definitively answered the offset question. Thanks to ODY and ODYSMAN. And I mispoke about the "02 having wider rims. They are the same 16x6.5 from days of yore, just the tires are wider for "02 (225/60 from 215/65). Offset is +50. Bolt pattern is 5 on 114.3mm (4.5 in.)

By the way, someone in another thread said the rims from his Caravan fit the Ody. Same bolt pattern. Anybody know if it's the same offset? Those chrysler town & country chromies could look pretty cool.

------------------
'91 Sentra SE-R
'57 Chevy Belair Sport Coupe.
If at first you don't succeed...so much for skydiving.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts