Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday, as I was driving my 1 month old Ody, my wife mentioned that when she is driving sometimes she feels a "skipping" in the car. I haven't really noticed it, although she drives the Ody 90% of the time, and to be honest, I'm not that observant of a person (also, I probably wouldn't want to think negatively about this van, which I really do love!)

Anybody else ever have this issue or know what this could be? Is my wife just imagining things when the gears shife? Any help would be great! Thanks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
She's not imagining it.

I've had mine for two months now and there's a definite engine skip. Ask your wife if it happens when she lets off the accelerator and then eases back into it, thats when mine does it. Now that I know I'm not the only one feeling it I'm going to take it in for service.

Cornfed
'02 GG EXL-RES

·
Registered
205 Posts
While we're on the subject of transmission behavior, I've a couple of characteristics to share:

1) When braking smoothly from 60 mph or so, I can feel a definite change in brake pressure through the brake pedal as the transmission downshifts and engine revs rise, then fall, then rise again. I suspect that since the brake hydraulics are driven from the engine, the amount of assistance varies a little with engine rpm. I haven't noticed it to this extent in other vehicles though.

2) When applying on-again-off-again throttle at about 50 mph, the engine sputtered about three times then caught itself and everything was fine. This has happened to me only once in the 700+ miles I have driven the van, but it was a bit concerning at the time - I wasn't sure if it would stall. This may be the 'skipping' referred to in the first post.

Anybody else seen this? Not really big issues but I might bring them up at the next service.

------------------
Richard
2002 Granite Green EX-L
Splash Guards, Cargo Tray, Weathertech Mats

[This message has been edited by pearsonrj (edited 12-07-2001).]

·
Registered
160 Posts
My wife commented one day that the engine had cut-out on her. I hadn't noticed anything, but then, one time while decelerating to a stop with light braking, she suddenly said, "There!" as the transmission made its downshift to, I believe, first or second. I've felt it a few times since and sometimes when changing from light deceleration to light acceleration, and it does feel a bit like a pause or a lag, but the engine rpm never drops below idle speed, so the engine's not cutting out. Have never noticed it during heavier deceleration or when going from light decel to heavier accel. With more power, the trans engages quickly and goes. I feel like it's a trait of the transmission. While this is my first Honda, automatic transmissions from different companies have always felt different to me, so, personally, I'm not worried about it.

Have not noted any variance in brake pressure.

Oh, for the record, two months, 5300 miles.

[This message has been edited by overmyheadcam (edited 12-07-2001).]

·
Registered
205 Posts
It could be something of a safety issue if the skipping occurs when transitioning from deceleration to acceleration - particularly if you are trying to get out of a 'situation'.
If it happens to me again I will bring it up at service for sure - even if you can live with it, if it is not normal for the transmission (don't know yet for sure) then it would be nice to get it fixed so it doesn't do it.

------------------
Richard
2002 Granite Green EX-L
Splash Guards, Cargo Tray, Weathertech Mats

·
Registered
854 Posts
could it be the automatic down and up shifting of the transmission. on my 2000 i used to notice it a lot whenever i went down a hill or a dip. but it was a feature of the transmission to take advantage of engine breaking, and i soon grew used to it and didn't notice it anymore. but i remember at the time everybody being concerned about it.

·
Registered
160 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by pearsonrj:
It could be something of a safety issue if the skipping occurs when transitioning from deceleration to acceleration - particularly if you are trying to get out of a 'situation'.</font>
True, except I've only noticed anything that I'd call odd when lightly loaded, with minor speed adjustments. I don't think I'll be too lightly loaded getting out of 'situations.'

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">...if it is not normal for the transmission (don't know yet for sure) then it would be nice to get it fixed so it doesn't do it.
</font>
Very true.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Watch the tachometer. It could be that what you're feeling is the torque converter locking and unlocking.

Jerry O.

------------------
2001 Odyssey GG LX

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have noticed a definite change in the braking when they are applied lightly. At first it felt as if there may have been grease on the disc. It feels as if the brakes suddenly apply much harder on their own. 2002 Odyssey

·
Registered
165 Posts
For the record, I have noticed the "uneven" braking feel while lightly braking and/or while the transmission is downshifting. We have a 2002. To me it feels like engine braking in a manual transmission car. Does not feel like it's hurting anothing though.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Yup... I felt this just last night. It was a bit disconcerting. I wondered for a moment if the engine was going to die. It only lasted maybe half a second but it felt like a misfire. I'll be watching for this to happen again.

Sounds like Honda may have a bug or two left in their power train control software.

Scott

·
Registered
60 Posts
Mine's about two weeks old. 2002 EX. Just felt the "skip" last night. I thought it was a missfire. Wondered if it was going to die. It was in the transition from decel to light accel. Hmmm.... looks like Honda has a few more bugs to shake out of their power train control software.

I'll be watching this one closely.

Scott

·
Registered
165 Posts
Was reading the Ody problems board on Edmunds and someone suggested that this may be the hill descent feature. I plan to check my owners manual tonight.

Mike
2002 GG EX-L

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
tbearsch said:
I have noticed a definite change in the braking when they are applied lightly.... It feels as if the brakes suddenly apply much harder on their own. 2002 Odyssey
I too have felt this. It happens as I come to a gradual stop from about 40 mph and lightly applying the brakes the whole time...it feels as though the transmission grabs the engine and the deceleration is much stronger feeling (as thought you stomped the brakes). This all happens quickly and I usually have to let up on the brakes a little to keep the deceleration constant the way I like it. I'm used to Toyota's in that once I pick a deceleration rate it stays constant. I don't like my passengers getting slung forward as though they were riding in a stick shift during a downshift.

One other thing I've noticed is a slight lag or pause in engagement after I've backed out of a driver or parking space and put the transmission in drive and give some gas. Once I apply the gas the transmission hesitates slightly then engages. This only happens after shifting into drive from reveres after you've gone 20 feet or so in reverse.

My Odyssey is a June 7, 2002 delivery. Are the above traits normal such that I'll have to get used to it or is something amiss?

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
These are completely normal.

The transmission, for example, is just a little more aggressive in its shifting. No big deal. At least it *does* downshift, instead of staying in top gear until the very end. Downshifting to assist braking is, IMHO, a good thing for the auto transmission to know how to do.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I've definitely noticed this "skipping" that you are talking about. Its most noticeable when going over dips in the road which tend to cause your foot to move a little on the accelerator. It seems that moving the accelerator a small bit causes something noticeable to happen. Is there something wrong in the torque converter? I don't notice much of a change in RPM when it happens. Most times its just barely noticeable, but it has been nagging me for a while. Hope its not a symptom of a bigger problem down the road.

As to the other issue, there's nothing wrong with the brakes. I think its a nice feature that the assist increases with RPM.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I noticed many of the things you are talking about but have not felt it since I upgraded to Chevron Supreme at 91 or 92 octane. The 2002 has a 10-1 compression ratio. In older cars that ratio could ping with regular. If I remember correctly, lower octane gas explodes faster where the higher octane burns though more of the down stoke as the engine turns. You might try this and see if you problems go away. Remember the owners manual says 87 octane or higher. I have opted for higher and have not noticed those problems anymore. BTW I bought my Ody 4-15-02 and switched to 91-92 about 5-01-02. I also have 6,000 miles on the Ody as I commute over 80 miles a day round trip. I would like someone else who is having these problems to see if 91-92 helps them and report back hear to the rest of us.

Thanks and hope this helps.

James

1 - 18 of 18 Posts