Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wife, kids, dog and cats evacuated for hurricane and now TCC is acting up and I'm 400 miles away at work. Need to know can this car be driven back home 350 miles if she keeps it out of D and in D3? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Hi, I hope they all make it OK and it's just another exciting adventure to look back on some day.

There's another active post now
http://www.odyclub.com/forums/24-1999-2004-odyssey/150804-p0740-tcc-malfunction-why.html
where he refers to the code appearing 750 miles ago.

I think the P0740 refers to the Torque Converter. I don't know if D3 will make it any better than D. It probably would help to drive gently, trying to keep RPMs down.

We probably drove 500 miles on a P0740 code prior to replacing the AT. And it was driving fine at that time. We just did it because we were getting warranty. So my guess is that if all they have right now is the code and not serious driveability issues, it should hold.

Again, good luck on this!

·
Registered
157 Posts
I Hope Your Family is Doing Ok. I wouldnt take a chance on driiving 350 miles with a P0740, its 50/50, it could just die 1mi down the road or it could take them all the home and then die.

its the clutch and solenoid paths between D3 and D2 that is the main issue, putting it in D3 will not help.

if they are still determined to try, and if they are in a safe location, i would at least have someone change the tranny fluid to a synthethic before they even try. that will at least give them a fighting chance. I would go as far as saying that use Racing ATF on half of it.

also depends on the model of the Ody, if its less than 2002, then no. dont even try. with a 2002 up, from my expereince, but still no guarantee, there is a good chance they will make it if they change the ATF to synthetic /racing synthetic mix.

if they know someone mechanically inclined thats willing to help, they can do the solenoid cleaning too. it wont take a whole day. that and the switching the ATF will give them a better chance of getting home. adding a cooler would also be advisable.

Keep Safe. Drive Safe.
CK

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Problem solved! I have some the the greatest guys who work for me. One of my ET's who is a motorhead on the side, volunteered to drive the 600 miles round trip with his F350 dually quad cab and car trailer and bring them back home tonight, just picked them up. Naturally I've got his fuel and a kicker on top. Wife say your guys really do got your back. Go team COAST GUARD!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts